[comp.sys.apple2] Ultima VI...sigh...

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/28/90)

support for an Apple II (or GS-specific, preferably) version of Ultima VI.
Less than two weeks later, I received a letter back from their customer
service department.  Here are a couple of interesting tidbits from it:

Prophet is going to be available on the Apple platform, we would like to
fill you in on ORIGIN's current thinking.

Unlike all previous Ultimas, number 6 is the first one that was completely
designed and implemented on the IBM PC.  When Richard "Lord British"
Garriot learned that he could make use of the growing IBM market, with
machines featuring 640k RAM, hard drives, and 256-color VGA graphics, he
could not resist the opportunity.  Utilizing this would give him the
chance to, as he put it, "...create the ultimate ULTIMA!"  Copuple that
with the ever-present fact that the Apple market is continuing to diminish
at an alarming rate (beginning with base support from Apple Computers, Inc.
and trickling down to the Apple specific magazines, and even the disaffected
Apple users), it is little wonder that the question about developing Ultima
VI on the Apple has arisen.

As of this date, a technical evaluation of such an endeavor is being
conducted by Origin.  When one considers the daunting task of converting
a 640k game down to 128k, and doing so in a timely and cost-efficient manner,
the air of pessimism is unavoidable.  Also, it is a widely recognized trend
among entertainment software publishers today to focus title development on
remaining strong markets, namely IBM & compatibles, Amiga, and Commodore.

However, the subject regarding an Apple Ultima VI will not be entirely
decided until all of the facts are in, including whatever comments and
enthusiasm YOU (the Apple user) can muster.  Because you have taken the
time to express your support for an Apple Ultima VI by writing your letter,
we are able to build a better case for the potential development of it.
  [rest deleted]

ORIGIN Customer Service (signed name Kirk <unreadable>)

-------
Anyone have any comments about this?  They certainly hit the nail on the
head about Apple's interest (lately).  I suggested in my letter that they
use the GS as a platform for this game, as it has comparable graphics and
superior sound (IBM VGA version was only 320x200x256).  I don't see how
it could be terribly hard to port a version to the GS.  Of course, this
is kind of abandoning the II+/e/c users, but I guess one has to move on
at some point.  It DOES seem kind of unrealistic to cram all that into
128k RAM (I've seen the IBM version; it's much more complicated than any
of the previous Ultimas).

On another thread, would it be out of line for a software company to
require an accelerator of some sort for their software?  I'm sure speed will
be Origin's biggest complaint with the GS.  And how many of the GS users
out there don't already have a TransWarp GS or are planning to buy either
that or a Zip GS in the near future? (Please, no flames here, I'm just
speculating).

It looks like another letter writing campaign would be advantageous here,
folks.  At least Origin is giving US a fair chance to express our opinions
and support before they decide about the Apple version of their software.
If we want good software, we're going to have to fight for it ourselves,
because it seems like no one else is going to stand up for us.

Please let me know if you find out more information.

Fellow Ultima enthusiast (hopefully),

Dale LaFountain
dalel@servio.SLC.COM    (before Sept. 18)
prophet@oxy.edu		(after Sept. 20)

ysk@Asia.Sun.COM (Yong Su Kim) (08/29/90)

Hmm. Still this debate about Ultima VI.
I thought that the case was dead and buried a long time ago...

I don't really see why Origin shouldn't make the game. If they make it as good
as the IBM version, it's definitely going to sell many many copies.

There are a lot of GS users out there, but there aren't many good games for
people to spend their money on.

Origin shouldn't be worried about 'support' or the market share. If they produce
a good product, it should sell on its own, as long as there is a market.

Maybe they're just lazy. If Omega GS is anything to judge Origin's programming
skills on the GS, maybe Ultima VI GS is just too much for them to handle.

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (08/29/90)

Well, since you are planning a letter writing campaign, how about the ORIGIN
address so that we can all send them something???

                                                           ...Sal

Salvatore A. Buttice       Preferred Address  ^^^\_<sab121@psuvm.psu.edu>
Box 488                    (It's FREE!!!!!!)  ___/ <SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET>
Espyville, PA 16424        If no answer, or it bounces call AOL --> Sal15

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/30/90)

In article <9008290116.AA27800@sunhkd.Asia.Sun.Com> ysk@Asia.Sun.COM (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>I don't really see why Origin shouldn't make the game.

Origin's problem is that they're convinced that the investment would be
worthwhile only if an 8-bit Apple II product resulted, not a IIGS-specific
product.  This has to do with perceptions of the Apple II software market
that are widespread in the software publishing industry; I don't say they
are correct.

Obviously it would be painful to cram Ultima VI into an 8-bit Apple II,
and the result would not be up to modern customer expectations (especially
those of IIGS users!).  I fully agree with Origin's reluctance to work on
an 8-bit Apple II version of Ultima VI, but I would like to see a IIGS
version.

The two classes of competitive computers are:
	{ Commodore 64/128, 8-bit Apple II, Atari 400/800 }
and
	{ Amiga, Apple IIGS, Atari ST, IBM PC }
Macintoshes are essentially in a class by themselves, since the affordable
ones have only monochrome graphics.

I note that a local Electronics Boutique has dropped ALL Macintosh software,
although they still have some Apple II and Commodore software.  Does that
mean the Macintosh is officially dead?  :-)

>If they make it as good as the IBM version, it's definitely going to sell
>many many copies.

That means a IIGS version, not an 8-bit Apple II one.

>There are a lot of GS users out there, but there aren't many good games for
>people to spend their money on.

That's for sure.  I actually have trouble finding IIGS software to spend my
limited software budget on.  This implies to me that there is a sizeable
untapped market if only the software publishers and distributors knew how
to reach it.  (Software stores in malls around here seldom have any new IIGS
software that I want, and when both 8-bit Apple II and IIGS versions of a
product are released, they tend to stock just the 8-bit one, since "it says
on the box that it will run on a IIGS".  No wonder sales have slumped!)

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (08/31/90)

In article <13698@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>I note that a local Electronics Boutique has dropped ALL Macintosh software,
>although they still have some Apple II and Commodore software.  Does that
>mean the Macintosh is officially dead?  :-)

Not yet.

The stores that I've looked at are actually stocking approximately the same
amounts of Apple II and Mac stuff.

Conclusion: if software sales == machine health, then the Macintosh is not
well... or the Apple II is a lot healthier than it appears.

I do find it interesting how IBM has managed to capture so much of the
entertainment market so quickly.  Apple threw out an entertainment machine
(no flames please... just pointing out that it's better for "fun" applications
than for heavyweight number-crunching) in favor of a desktop publishing
machine, so most of the software produced these days is PC-oriented (except
for word processors and drawing programs).  It probably hasn't affected Apple's
sales much, because of the Mac's reputation for ease-of-use.

But if you walked into a computer store, and saw 10 times as many titles for
IBM hardware as for Apple hardware (be it games or otherwise), which computer
would you buy?

(BTW, that's a good one to throw at Apple reps who hang out at college
campuses... we've got plenty of them here...)

If IBM can change the user-hostile aura surrounding their machines, it'll
be amusing to watch.  Can't wait for Windows 3.0 :-)

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (08/31/90)

Origin's comments reflect the state of the market that has developed around
the Apple ][ computers.  They are right about several things:  look at the
size of the Apple "glossies" magazines.  They are about 1/2 their former size
due to a lack of advertising, reflecting a reduction in the number of third
party manufacturers and software publishers.  Also, there has been a
significant reduction in the number of Apple magazines themselves, although
one or two new ones keep popping up.

Reading this month's A2-Central, it appears that Apple, Inc has gotten the
message and wants to turn this decline in support for the Apple around.  But
is it too late even if it isn't too little?  The patient has cancer and x-ray
and chemotherapy is started, but will remission result in a cure?  Only time
will tell.

New, exciting products and software will be required to keep both interest and
dollar flow in the Apple ][ world.  That, in my mind, is what is keeping the
IBM market alive, although not necessarily from IBM itself.  The clones seem
to have the base now and it's accessories and software that keep the market
going.  After all, how many people are really purchasing the new IBM machines
as opposed to a full functioning clone at 2/3 to 1/2 the price.

I see a similar situation in Apple's world.  The installed base is there in
Apple ]['s and Mac's.  And how many of that base will go out and purchase the
newest, latest and greatest computer as opposed to looking for an accelerator,
add-on board, hard drive or other peripheral.  Heck, I'm still using a ][e and
have no intentions of "upgrading" to another Apple; but I sure might purchase
associated hardware when the price is right (CD-ROM, Scanner etc.)

The loss of one of the pioneers in game production ("Lord British") is a
shame, but more will join that bandwagen if the Apple total environment
doesn't stay alive and active.  I think I saw that Inginuity, Inc is also gone
(A2-Central again)...is that the same as Applied Inginuity (similar name?);
that would be a shame too, as their hard drives are very good and I was
looking forward to the internal Apple ][c hard drive.

It should be interesting to see what kind of support the next Apple Fest has.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

kboutin@zinn.MV.COM (Kurt Boutin) (08/31/90)

I feel that I MUST comment here.  DO NOT get your hopes up for any type of
Apple // support from Origin.  Letter writing will most likely not get ANY
kind of positive response save the form letter.  As one who has worked at
Origin (I was in testing and Customer support for 2 years), I know how the
management works and once they make a decision (which they already have),
there is no turning back.  You see, they see it this way:
   "We made a decision.  If we change our minds, then it will look like we
didn't know what we were talking about.  We don't want to be embarassed."

All I can say, is trust me.  Save your stamps for a company that cares about
its customers.

Kurt

--
Kurt Boutin

"Is that your real nose?"

denny@navier.ae.utexas.edu (Charles Denny) (08/31/90)

  When I visited Origin last spring break, they indicated that they
were in the process of looking for a //GS C programmer to convert it.
I'm not sure how that turned out since I haven't talked to any of the
programmers there since then.  Perhaps there is still hope...

Denny

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/01/90)

denny@navier.ae.utexas.edu (Charles Denny) writes:

>  When I visited Origin last spring break, they indicated that they
>were in the process of looking for a //GS C programmer to convert it.
>I'm not sure how that turned out since I haven't talked to any of the
>programmers there since then.  Perhaps there is still hope...

Damn! If I didn't still have two more years of college...

If they do decide to do it, I hope they use ORCA or MPW IIGS -- APW C sux.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

ksh@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) (09/02/90)

I have sent in a letter about Ultima VI (GS version) and got the form letter
reply. However, I have heard from other people (from the net and otherwise)
who have talked personally to Lord British or phoned in that Origin is planning
to produce an Ultima VI for the GS. However, I heard this before sending in my
own letter, so if they are planning to produce an Apple (and probably a GS)
version, then why do they not change their form letter? Are there anybody out
there "in the know"?

Kish Shen

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/02/90)

In article <4195@crash.cts.com> mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) writes:
>New, exciting products and software will be required to keep both interest
>and dollar flow in the Apple ][ world.

Hardware and software products have been developed, but many of them have a
hard time reaching customers.  This does not necessarily mean there is not a
large market for the products, but there sure are problems in distribution
and retailing.  If the computer isn't a Nintendo or IBM PC compatible, there
is just not shelf space for its products these days.  Even Apple dealers don't
tend to stock enough of the nifty new products, especially for the II line.

A few days ago I tried to order the following from Programs Plus, one of the
few mail-order outfits I have been able to find that stocks useful IIGS
software, and they say that even they don't have these (all of which I have
heard have recently been "released"):
	Dragon Wars (IIGS-specific, not 8-bit) [Interplay]
	Cosmocade (IIGS) [Micro Revelations]
	Transylvania 3 (IIGS) [Polarware]
Thus, these products cannot possibly be selling well, which will undoubtedly
be taken as more evidence that "there is no significant Apple II(GS) market".

P.S.  If anybody knows for sure where I can purchase these, please let me know!
	- Gwyn@BRL.MIL

In article <13722@smoke.BRL.MIL> Gwyn@BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>	Dragon Wars (IIGS-specific, not 8-bit) [Interplay]
>	Cosmocade (IIGS) [Micro Revelations]
>	Transylvania 3 (IIGS) [Polarware]
>P.S.  If anybody knows for sure where I can purchase these, please let me know!

Add
	Rastan (IIGS) [Taito]
to this list.