[comp.sys.apple2] 3200 Paint Programs

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (08/30/90)

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Dream Graphics lately?
Does anyone know how it is implemented?
ie: Does it require a switch between painting and displaying, or
does it just use the vertical blank time to allow painting -
which would give very slow response.
Does it automatically/dynamically assign palettes - or do you have
to do it manually?
How about any other 3200 paint program (eg: Jonahs etc)?
Has anyone out there done any 640 x 200 palette swapping and perhaps
palette optimizations?

John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (08/30/90)

In article <445@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>Has anyone seen or heard anything about Dream Graphics lately?
>Does anyone know how it is implemented?
>ie: Does it require a switch between painting and displaying, or
>does it just use the vertical blank time to allow painting -
>which would give very slow response.

Well, it grey scales out the screen and the 14 lines around the cursor are in
'REAL' color. This is the exact same way I did it (though I did it before I
saw his! :)  It looks really nice--the screen is about as well thought out as
sunthLab.

>Does it automatically/dynamically assign palettes - or do you have
>to do it manually?

Huh? You select colors for the palettes as in a norrmal paint program. There
are also options to copy a palette from one line to the next, etc.

>How about any other 3200 paint program (eg: Jonahs etc)?

Well, I hear Jonah is having a HELL of a time getting his brush tool to work,
which, added to the fact that he's been working on Twilight AND GIF 3200 has
pushed the release date back a few centuries. This is just a rumor, however. :)

>Has anyone out there done any 640 x 200 palette swapping and perhaps
>palette optimizations?

What exactly do you mean here? I assume you're talking about 640 3200 color
mode and the idea suggested a while ago to apply the theory of change lists
to 3200 color palettes. I know Bud Gher is working on CheapPaint II which
will do '256' color 640 mode, and I think Emeral Visions, the new 3200 color
paint program from New Concepts (written by Ron Mercer) can allegedly do '3200'
color 640 mode. Then again, Emerald Vision is supposed to be able to let
you paint in 3200 colors, real time, while staying fully GS/OS & toolbox
compatible, which I donn't believe for a second.... As for palette
optimizations, I know there's someone who said they were going to work on it,
but their name has temporarily slipped my mind. I'm sure he'll see this and
beat it back in there, as he's a frequent reader of the net....

>John MacLean.

Jonah Stich
jonah@amos.ucsd.edu

joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) (08/31/90)

I haven't heard from Jason Andersen lately.  I called him a few weeks ago, and
talked him into sending me a copy of his paint program to play with, but I
never received it.  I guess I'll have to call him up again and see what's up.

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (09/03/90)

I really like the idea of using a greyscale palette for all but the 14
(I do not understand why this is not 15) palettes around the cursor.
I do not know why I never thought of it.

However, it is still very limiting because you must choose the colors in
each palette yourself. When will someone write a paint program that lets
you choose any color from all 4096 colors, and dynamically update the
palettes as required to get the best possible results.
I do not want to choose colors for each palette - I want the software to
take care of it for me.
If I choose to paint in light blue on a scanline that has no light blue
in its palette, I want it to either add light blue to the palette, or
translate my light blue into the nearest color in the palette.

These two concepts need to be integrated to form the ultimate IIGS paint
program. Looks like I'll be waiting a while yet.

John MacLean.

PS: I have IFF conversions going now.
--

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (09/03/90)

In article <448@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>I really like the idea of using a greyscale palette for all but the 14
>(I do not understand why this is not 15) palettes around the cursor.

Well, if you use one palette for the greyscale, and another for the tools,
then you only have 14 left. I'm probably going to change this, as I've thouoght
of some better ways to do it. Probably when I eleasse it, there'll be 15
(hell, it's easier to center, right? :)

>I do not know why I never thought of it.

I suppose you're just not a genius with an IQ of 3 billion, like myself. :)
Actually, Scott Gentry from AOL gets credit for this one--he suggested it to
me. (Oh, and BTW, I think Scott DOES have an ID of 3 billion! :)

>However, it is still very limiting because you must choose the colors in
>each palette yourself. When will someone write a paint program that lets
>you choose any color from all 4096 colors, and dynamically update the
>palettes as required to get the best possible results.
>I do not want to choose colors for each palette - I want the software to
>take care of it for me.
>If I choose to paint in light blue on a scanline that has no light blue
>in its palette, I want it to either add light blue to the palette, or
>translate my light blue into the nearest color in the palette.
>
>These two concepts need to be integrated to form the ultimate IIGS paint
>program. Looks like I'll be waiting a while yet.

John, one of the reasons I at least started talking about Paint 3200 so far
before it was ready was to get ideas. If you think that these features are
necessary for the ultimate paint program, I'll put them in! I just need to
know exactly what it is you have in mind. I've beeen toying with a function
for the flood fill that will find the colsest match to the selected color
on every line, so that filled areas will seem to be a large chunk of the same
color, rather than a strange multi colored blob (This can lead to some of the
worst streaking you've ever seen, as the program tries it's hardest to find
a match in a palette where there just isn't one, but that's beside the point.)
Or do you mean a function that adjusts all 199 other palettes to be as close as
they can to the one you're playing with. How exactly would this work? I'd
love to make this the best porgram it can be, but I need more description than
this.

>John MacLean.

Jonah Stich
jonah@amos.ucsd.edu

joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) (09/04/90)

> If I choose to paint in light blue on a scanline that has no light blue
> in its palette, I want it to either add light blue to the palette, or
> translate my light blue into the nearest color in the palette.

>From what Jason told me about Dream Graphix, this is exactly *what* it will
do.  The current drawing color will either be put into the palette or
translated into the closest equivalent.  The exact method used here is user
selectable I believe.