[comp.sys.apple2] Extracting GS/ShrinkIt files

fadden@ocf.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (09/05/90)

Larry W. Virden writes:
>I have tried nulib and the beta version of nulib 3.0 and neither can
>extract the records being created using the latest ShrinkIt!
>
>Does ANYONE have an all C program for extracting these, even just for
>the IIgs?  If it is all C I can try to port it.

NuLib doesn't understand LZW-II compression.  The record formats are easy
enough; NuLib v3.00 will be able to extract uncompressed records created
with GS/ShrinkIt.  If I'm using the version that I think I'm using, most
of the code to support the newer LZW format is there... except for the
modifications to the LZW routines themselves.  I can't speculate on when
LZW-II will be supported, since my last attempt at it failed miserably :-(.

BTW, the not-quite-beta version of NuLib v3.00 is available on the FTP
site ([avalanche|tornado|typhoon].Berkeley.EDU) for the curious and brave.
It has some interesting new features, not all of which are immediately
obvious... :-)  Please don't send requests for the source code, as it isn't
really ready to even be tested yet (I believe in an open development
environment, with the appropriate caveats).