[comp.sys.apple2] 3.5 & 5.25 drive problem

msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S Mackovitch) (09/05/90)

I'm almost positive this has been discussed before, but here goes...

I recently had to use my Apple 5.25" drive for more than a dust collector.
Unfortunately, when I connected it to my Apple 3.5", the 3.5" drive is
completely ignored.  mY question: What's Wrong?

System: rom 1, 3.5" drive, 45M remov. HD (DMA SCSI) ...
slots all set to defaults in control panel (except #2 for modem card).

Any ideas?  I know there's gotta be some simple explanation/fix.
Thanks...

-mike
Mike Mackovitch                      University of Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign
Engineering Computer Science Co-op                 | msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
"I don't worry 'bout a thing, 'cause I know        |          -or-
  nothing's gonna be all right."      -Mose Allison|  coach@gagme.chi.il.us

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/05/90)

Completely ignored?  Is the 5.25" drive on the end of the SmartPort
daisy chain?  (ie. computer -> 3.5" drive -> 5.25" drive)

If you want to boot from the 3.5" drive, change the control panel setting to 5.

Can you boot off of some other drive and then catalog the 3.5" drive?

-- Charles William Swiger
   cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/06/90)

msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S Mackovitch) writes:

>I recently had to use my Apple 5.25" drive for more than a dust collector.
>Unfortunately, when I connected it to my Apple 3.5", the 3.5" drive is
>completely ignored.  mY question: What's Wrong?

1. the 5.25" should be the furthest out from the GS (cable wise).
2. the DMA SCSI sounds like it is in slot 7, in which case it should not be
	a problem.
3. If both slot 5 and 6 are default (smart port and disk port) and you have the
	3.5" plugged into the GS disk port and the 5.25" plugged into the 3.5",
	then all should be well and you should see the 3.5" in slot 5 drive 1
	and the 5.25" in slot 6 drive 1.

hope this extra info helps you find the problem.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu