[comp.sys.apple2] Copying System Disk to /ram5

	Someone posted recently about copying the System Disk to /ram5 and
when trying to boot getting an error $0028 {something about not being able
to read pathname as far as I can remember}..

	I tried to mail this person but it got bounced back and the usual
methods of finding a bang path to get to this person have failed.

	I only call [long distance] to read UseNet rarely and I skim
things.. so if there's been a reply I have missed it.. If someone could
mail me any solution to the problem I would be really grateful.

	Copying the system disk to /ram5 really saves a LOT of time, even
counting the time to copy it.. It seems like it hasn't been working since
we've gotten 5.0...

--
  _    __       __           __       _     /-------------------------------\
 /_\  |__| |    __|(GS) |_| |_  \  / |_|   |    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (07/04/90)

I use 1 meg out of 3 as a ram disk, copy the system disk (5.02), add
some DAs to the folder that won't fit on the disk, and then boot from it.
What I _don't_ do is select Shut Down from the Finder when the Ramdisk
is ready. I read here, on GEnie, and have experienced for myself problems
with the Finder's Shut Down option.

After I've copied everything to Ram5, I use the control panel to change
the startup slot to Ram, come back to the desktop, and then just press
the ol' Open-Apple/Control/Reset. Works like a charm.

So my suggestion to the people who are having problems doing this is
to _stop_ using the Finder's 'Shut Down' option and just do a three
key reboot.

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

In article <3793@rex.cs.tulane.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>I use 1 meg out of 3 as a ram disk, copy the system disk (5.02), add
>some DAs to the folder that won't fit on the disk, and then boot from it.
>What I _don't_ do is select Shut Down from the Finder when the Ramdisk
>is ready. I read here, on GEnie, and have experienced for myself problems
>with the Finder's Shut Down option.

Would you care to repeat some of those reasons?  Shut down in the Finder simply
ejects all the disks, shuts down the Desk Manager and calls OSShutDown, which
is a GS/OS routine.  Nothing funny here.

>After I've copied everything to Ram5, I use the control panel to change
>the startup slot to Ram, come back to the desktop, and then just press
>the ol' Open-Apple/Control/Reset. Works like a charm.
>
>So my suggestion to the people who are having problems doing this is
>to _stop_ using the Finder's 'Shut Down' option and just do a three
>key reboot.

This is not good.  People need to get in the habit of shutting down the system
without using the reset key.  If people won't shut down the system, it will
make it hard for us to add system-wide enhancements.  For example, maybe
someday we'd like to change the Finder so it uses a system-maintained desktop
database.  This would let it know where applications are without requiring you
to edit icon files.  Unfortunately, that means that when application files
move around, the desktop database would have to be updated.  To do so on disk
would be unacceptably slow; doing it in memory and only flushing to disk on
shut down or OS switching would be OK -- unless you do cold reboots and lose
all the information in the database.

Also, OSShutDown sends a Driver_Shutdown message to all the drivers, which
gives them a chance to save information not yet flushed to disk, disable
interrupt sources, and in general make things safe and sane.  Using the reset
key messes this up also.

Not to mention that you could corrupt any files the Finder just happens to have
open, or that desk accessories or INITs might currently be recording to, and
that not all file systems can recover from this as well as ProDOS can, or not
to mention that people who've installed procedures that get called on shutdown
get completely bypassed and don't get a chance to perform their tasks, and...
well, you get the picture.

If there's a problem with RAM disks and shutting down, I want to hear about it.
Globally recommending not shutting down is not wise, though.

>Ray
>lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (07/05/90)

In article <42636@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <3793@rex.cs.tulane.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>>What I _don't_ do is select Shut Down from the Finder when the Ramdisk
>>is ready. I read here, on GEnie, and have experienced for myself problems
>>with the Finder's Shut Down option.
>>
>Would you care to repeat some of those reasons?  Shut down in the Finder simply
>ejects all the disks, shuts down the Desk Manager and calls OSShutDown, which
>is a GS/OS routine.  Nothing funny here.

Well, it's been awhile since I've used the ShutDown option, so I'll have
to try it and make some notes and get back to you. I can tell you this,
though: it was something that changed with 5.0, because I never had the
problem with 4.0. Just from memory, after I would select a shutdown option,
the disks would eject, but then the desktop would lock up. I could still
move the pointer with the mouse, but couldn't select anything, and the
window that said it was safe to turn off the power with the button to restart
wouldn't come up.

>This is not good.  People need to get in the habit of shutting down the system
>without using the reset key.  If people won't shut down the system, it will

Well, I was in the habit until 5.0 came out.

>make it hard for us to add system-wide enhancements.  For example, maybe
>someday we'd like to change the Finder so it uses a system-maintained desktop
>database.  This would let it know where applications are without requiring you
>to edit icon files.  Unfortunately, that means that when application files

Sounds great! Can you tell us when we can look for that?

>[lots of stuff about the mess you can make with the reset key]

Believe me, I'd love to do clean exits if I could. Really. But frankly,
a lot of GS specific stuff has problems shutting down. The Finder,
the Orca Desktop, and Warlock come to mind immediately, and I know I've
got other stuff that just doesn't always exit cleanly.

>If there's a problem with RAM disks and shutting down, I want to hear about it.

I know I can duplicate the problem I used to get. And I may have even saved
an article that came through here a few weeks back from someone else who
was having a similar problem. And then of course, there's been at least
two and maybe three people this week that are having problems setting up
RAM disks and booting from them.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/06/90)

In article <3801@rex.cs.tulane.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>[...]
>Well, it's been awhile since I've used the ShutDown option, so I'll have
>to try it and make some notes and get back to you. I can tell you this,
>though: it was something that changed with 5.0, because I never had the
>problem with 4.0. Just from memory, after I would select a shutdown option,
>the disks would eject, but then the desktop would lock up. I could still
>move the pointer with the mouse, but couldn't select anything, and the
>window that said it was safe to turn off the power with the button to restart
>wouldn't come up.

Shut Down works great for me, but I know of at least one way you can manage
to get Shut Down to crash for you:  if you accidentally have the System 4.0
version of the High Sierra FST in your *:System:FSTs folder, Shut Down will
crash.  Maybe it can hang instead.  The same could be true for other files.
You might try *removing* any "extra" drivers and FSTs you have and reinstalling
5.0.2.  By the way, are you using any third-party drivers?
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/06/90)

> I use 1 meg out of 3 as a ram disk, copy the system disk (5.02), add
> some DAs to the folder that won't fit on the disk, and then boot from it.

I finally got upset enough that I wrote a couple programs and put them on the
disk, and what they do is:
  * Check RAM disk size and boot slot
  * If they're not 800K and slot 5, set them and power-up reboot
  * Copy what's in Slot 2, D1 to /RAM5, rename it to /RAM5
  * Set boot slot to slot5 and reboot

Works great...  I also have a program I wrote that I call with a RAMdisk size
to set.  It sets the boot slot back to 5, RAMDisk size to whatever I want, and
power-up reboot.

Not as good as a hard drive, but cheaper!

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

JWANKERL%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Josef W. Wankerl") (07/07/90)

On Wed, 4 Jul 90 22:44:02 GMT Matt Deatherage said:
>If there's a problem with RAM disks and shutting down, I want to hear about it.
>Globally recommending not shutting down is not wise, though.

As I said in a previous post a long while back, I also have the problem
with the shutdown hanging the system.  Not only do *I* have the problem,
but my previous roommate had it, and so does my employer on his two
machines.  I don't know about his third one, as he has a BBS running
with ProDOS 8 on it.  I don't think that 5 cases of this should be
just brushed aside.  I try shutdown all the time... only works once or
twice every ten times.  It USED to work fine when I first got 5.0 and
my roommate got the problem months before I had it.  I only noticed it
on my machine after I started some major development with ORCA.

>--
>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
>Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
>Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM
InterNet:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus.cts.com | UUCP:  ...crash!pro-gsplus!jwankerl
ARPA/DDN:  ...crash!pro-gsplus!jwankerl@nosc.mil | I'm employed by EGO, GS+!

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (07/07/90)

In article <9007070640.AA26508@apple.com> JWANKERL%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Josef W. Wankerl") writes:

>As I said in a previous post a long while back, I also have the problem
>with the shutdown hanging the system.  Not only do *I* have the problem,
>but my previous roommate had it, and so does my employer on his two
>machines.

I too had problems with shutdown not wanting to work properly and hanging
the system.  I've always attributed it to a weird da or init and end up
removing the last installed da or init and all goes well after that.

May I suggest you remove all your system files and re-install system 5.0.2
from the ground up sans patches, inits, da's, etc and then adding those one
at a time until you discover the problem.

My Apple system software always seems to do what it's supposed to do until I
start playing around with it and adding my own "improvements" ;)

--
Paul Hutmacher   |       paulh@nuchat.UUCP       |Sometimes the only thing a
P.O. Box 66046   | {texbell, uunet}!nuchat!paulh |western savage understands

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (07/07/90)

In article <25582@nuchat.UUCP> paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>In article <9007070640.AA26508@apple.com> JWANKERL%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Josef W. Wankerl") writes:
>
>My Apple system software always seems to do what it's supposed to do until I
>start playing around with it and adding my own "improvements" ;)
>
>Paul Hutmacher   |       paulh@nuchat.UUCP

That pretty much sums it up for me, too. After two days of trying to get
the Finder to hang on shutdown, I could only get it do so after exiting
certain public domain programs, or with certain NDAs installed. Apparently
it's these applications that are not properly cleaning up after themselves
that's causing the system to lock up on shut-down. I hereby publicly
apologize for blaming it on the Finder :)

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/04/90)

>In some article or another Carl Norden said:
>In article <13181@netcom.UUCP> avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:
>>I was able to make System.Disk run last night on an 800k /ram5, by
>>using Copy II Plus and the Copy Whole Disk function.
>I hate to sound silly, but why do you want to do this?

	Someone would want to do this because then you can boot from
the RamDisk (by setting Ramdisk the boot "slot" from the Control Panel).
This way it's REALLY fast booting into the System.

	But as I've said [and other people have, I'm just the most vocal
about it because it's so darn weird], it won't work for me! It hasn't
worked since System 5.0 came out.. It works with 4.0 and ProDOS 16,
just doesn't work with 5.0... VERY strange in my opinion.

	It gives me an Error $0028, Error Reading Boot Disk Name
[the phrase is something like that].

	It admittedly worked for me -once- after I got a new copy of the System
Disk but then wouldn't work again, even though my virgin copy of the System
was write protected and never altered the whole time! I've verified that
my RAM is fine too.  Just seems like some weird kind of a bug.

	As I said other people posted about the problem too.. But could
someone out there try copying System Disk 5.0 (or 5.02) to an 800K ramdisk
with DigiCopy and see what it does for you? Then mail me about it or post i
please...
--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

henrym@nuchat.UUCP (Henry Malmgren) (09/06/90)

booting from the ram disk.  All I do is use the finder to drag the system disk
icon onto the ram disk icon, and reboot with the control panel set to boot from
the ram disk. However, this only works from GS/OS.  If I want to boot Prodos
eight from the ram disk, I have to format it.  Using the finder will do this
also.

Henry Malmgren
henrym@nuchat.sccsi.com
henrym@nuchat.UUCP

henrym@nuchat.UUCP (Henry Malmgren) (09/06/90)

My last message got kind of messed up, but what I was trying to say is that
I have no trouble copying a system disk to /ram5 and booting from it.  I
have a rom 03 machine, so perhaps one advantage to that machine is that it
automatically adds the two necessary boot blocks to the ram disk on startup.
Henry Malmgren
henrym@nuchat.sccsi.com
henrym@nuchat.UUCP