[comp.sys.apple2] 3200 Color Pictures

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (07/18/90)

What standard file format is being used to store 3200 color pictures?

Standard 65 block files cannot be used - not enough space for the palettes.
Apple preferred format cannot be used directly - you can hold all the
palettes, but you cannot associate each line with a palette.

You could of course use Apple preferred format, and just use the nth palette
with the nth line of data, but this is not really standard.
So what are people using?

Do not bother sending me any files, as I have no way of getting them onto
my IIGS anyway.
If I know the format that is being used, I can easily create some from GIF
pictures (with a maximum of 256 colors of course - but at least each
scan line could have its own palette).
Then I will have to write a reader for some > 256 color format, such as IFF
(I have the full specs).

John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

seah@EE.ROCHESTER.EDU (David Seah) (08/31/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: 3200 viewer?
In article <90242.145601SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>[New French 3200 color picture disk]

>Also, I have noticed that the disks posted to AOL are incomplete due to
>their own little brand of censorship. Anyone have COMPLETE copies? I'd be
>willing to spend for disks and mailling costs if anyone could send them
>to me. I understand that many people don't want to post them to the net
>because of the HUGE size and the time needed to upload them. I however
>cannot and willnot pay AOL for 75 minutes of download time for censored
>material! Some of what they censored were probably the best graphics on there.
>At least, that's usually how it is when people start censoring. Nothing with
>bare flesh or magic involved allowed! Any responses are directed to the
>paths in my .sig file. EMail is preferrable, as I only get home every other
>weekend, and Mom gets upset when the mailbox is too full...

The graphics weren't edited, though two pictures *were* pulled from the disk.
This also results in a corresponding reduction in download time...
the original file was an 83 minute download.

Graphics that contain "artistic nudity" are allowed, while graphics that
show (to quote a person from another group) "blistering hot buck-naked
women" (ie: nudity for the sake of being nude, whatever that means) are
not released.

Censorship does suck.  Unfortunately, we of the Apple II Art & Graphics
Forum are bound by the rules set forth by Quantum Computer Services, whether
or not we ourselves believe in it. :-(

I don't think we're censoring magic, yet :-)

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (09/06/90)

Dave, this isn't directed toward you, so be cool (like you wouldn't be...hehe)!

As the forum leader of the Apple II Art & Graphics forum on America Online, I
have to say Daves' comments and interpretation of the policy is dead on.  This
policy is more tolerant of nudity than ever before.  Unfortunately, badmouthing
the policy to the net does you absolutely no good at all. If you want the
policy to change please let customer service know.  I've honestly tried to get
the policy changed myself, but I need help.

Thanks!

Sorry for the bandwidth thing... I just think it's quite dumb to complain where
it will do no good.

| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |