[comp.sys.apple2] Laser Printer Woes

ghost@bucsf.BU.EDU (Jay Adelson) (09/04/90)

  I'd like very much to use a laser printer with my IIgs.

  Interested, I went to the Boston University "Computerfest" where
apple representatives attempt to push Macs on the public, and asked
questions concerning the use of a Personal Laserwriter or similar
printer on the GS.  The response I received shocked me.

  The Apple reps didn't know what I was talking about. They didn't
even know a GS could use a laser printer.

  Finally, I found someone who "used" to sell gs's and he didn't know.

  Therefore, I'm forced to ask you people: What are my options???

I *KNOW* that the gs can drive a laserwriter. WITHOUT appletalk.
That solved, can the gs drive any other brands? Why not? How much\
do I have to spend?

  Help would be appreciated folks. This is important. People who do
desktop publishing...they need this info, eh?

| Jay Adelson           | Phantasmagoric Designs | "If you think things are   |
| ghost@bucsf.bu.edu    | 829 Beacon St.  APT 3B |  going great, you've       |
| J.ADELSON1 (GEnie)    | Boston, MA.      02115 |  forgotten something." -JB |
|_______________________|________________________|____________________________|

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (09/05/90)

In article <63691@bu.edu.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.UUCP (Jay Adelson) writes:

>  I'd like very much to use a laser printer with my IIgs.
[asked about LaserWriter on //]
>printer on the GS.  The response I received shocked me.
>
>  The Apple reps didn't know what I was talking about. They didn't
>even know a GS could use a laser printer.

   This is downright scary.  Perhaps Don Lancaster should go rough them up. :-)

>  Finally, I found someone who "used" to sell gs's and he didn't know.
>
>  Therefore, I'm forced to ask you people: What are my options???

   You can drive a laserwriter straight thru one of the serial ports or you
can do it through AppleTalk.  Also, I believe there is now a beta version of
a driver for the HP LaserJet printer available that will make this non-
postscript printer work on the GS (through the Serial port, probably).

>|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>| Jay Adelson           | Phantasmagoric Designs | "If you think things are   |
>| ghost@bucsf.bu.edu    | 829 Beacon St.  APT 3B |  going great, you've       |

   It would seem that Apple Dealers are still pretty s**t stupid when it comes
to the Apple // line.  Why??? How's this for an idea:
   Someone send copies of 8/16 to all Apple Dealers.  Inside have an article
detailing all of the myths of the Apple //, namely:
   Won't work with a laser printer
   too slow to do DTP anyway
   Won't work with a hard drive...
   Can't connect with a modem to an IBM or MAC (really! I've heard this one
      many many times).
Anyway, someone would have to make a list, and it would be sort of like the
"Frequently Asked Questions" post which needs to be done here on csa2.
Is anyone game to tell the dealers where it's at?  They're as much to blame
as anyone for the decline of the Apple //.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (09/05/90)

In <1990Sep4.174038.16050@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
(Desdinova) writes:

>	It would seem that Apple Dealers are still pretty s**t stupid when it
comes
> to the Apple // line.  Why??? How's this for an idea:
>	Someone send copies of 8/16 to all Apple Dealers.  Inside have an
article
> detailing all of the myths of the Apple //, namely:
>	Won't work with a laser printer
>	too slow to do DTP anyway
>	Won't work with a hard drive...
>	Can't connect with a modem to an IBM or MAC (really! I've heard this
one
>many many times).
>	Anyway, someone would have to make a list, and it would be sort of
like the
> "Frequently Asked Questions" post which needs to be done here on csa2.
> Is anyone game to tell the dealers where it's at?  They're as much to
blame
> as anyone for the decline of the Apple //.

At home, over the summer I worked at the local Apple dealership, and
most of the salesmen knew what they were talking about most of the time.
 It's really not quite as bad as you make it out to be.  However, I have
heard some of the very same answers from some of the salesmen there.
It's really sad, and something should be done about it.  Perhaps we
could compose a document, as suggested above, and send it to every Apple
dealer in the nation, and see what the response is.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/05/90)

In article <63691@bu.edu.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.UUCP (Jay Adelson) writes:
>I *KNOW* that the gs can drive a laserwriter. WITHOUT appletalk.
>That solved, can the gs drive any other brands? Why not? How much\
>do I have to spend?

Any ASCII RS-232-C device can be sent data via one of the IIGS's serial
ports.  The problem is coming up with the right data to accomplish the
desired function.  Since different manufacturers implement different
"languages" in their printers, this is a hard problem.  Apple seems to
think that "printer drivers" are the solution; recently Vitesse has
made a slew of printer drivers for non-Apple printers available, and
you should check them out to see what is supported.

ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep4.174038.16050@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:

>     You can drive a laserwriter straight thru one of the serial ports or you
>  can do it through AppleTalk.  Also, I believe there is now a beta version of
>  a driver for the HP LaserJet printer available that will make this non-
>  postscript printer work on the GS (through the Serial port, probably).

[clip]

>  --
>  Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
>  Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
>  jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
>			       |                             (B O'Cult)

First off, does anyone know anything about this beta driver?

And secondly, if it's not a postscript printer, will my output be
less-than-perfect using it? I'm interested in desktop publishing
and writing applications (such as appleworks gs).

A driver like this one would come in handy. Whom do I speak to about
it?

| Jay Adelson           | Phantasmagoric Designs | "If you think things are   |
| ghost@bucsf.bu.edu    | 829 Beacon St.  APT 3B |  going great, you've       |
| J.ADELSON1 (GEnie)    | Boston, MA.      02115 |  forgotten something." -JB |
|_______________________|________________________|____________________________|

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/06/90)

Vitesse will be releasing a whole set of drivers written by Bill Heineman (sp?)
RSN. You used to be able to get the deskjet beta .8 from America Online, but
when I looked for it a few days ago I couldn't find it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep4.174038.16050@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
[stuff about inadequate AppleII() dealer knowledge and comments to that effect
from othe AppleII() users]

The traditional Apple dealer may not be the place through which Apple should
sell AppleII()'s. The basic problem is that dealers don't make a lot of money
on low cost sales of any type. Should these " low cost" Macs emerge they too
would suffer the same fate( lack of product knowledge) were it not for the fact
that there are high end Macs which use the same peripherals.

To sell well, the AppleII() must be sold by the truckload with no value added
whatsoever. They must be priced low. You aren't going to get Apple dealers
providing any value added service for most individual customers for the GS. In
any case, not much is needed.

That being said, I must admit that the best advice I have obtained re the GS
was from a non-Apple authorized dealer who happened to really like the GS.
There must be dealers like that who are authorized, but they seem to be few
and far between.

As far as printing goes, the GS prints to the LaserWriter Postscript printers
in the same way as the Macs do. As far as DTP goes, the GS can do it although
a faster processor would be nice.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (09/07/90)

I do agree that the Apple should sell their CPUs, specifically the apple II
seiers, through more popular channels like department stores.  Let's face it:
Most 7/11 clerks know more about computers thah the average 'authorized apple
dealer' - specifically the apple II series.

Want to make yourself heard?  Call the following number.  It is the weekly
reader poll by what was formerly Macintosh Business News (Now 'PC news or
something of that sort) and it asks if apple should retail their computers
through more open channels.

The number is:     1-800-345-CRNY

Note that this is one of the few smart magazines that gives you a true tool
free number.  Also remember that this publication goes mostly to resellers, so
it is likely that the average reader will vote 'NO'.  Let's pop the votes in
favor of a more reasoanble sales strategy for apple.  Maybe this will help
bring the apple II back from the dead (considering apple is actively pushing a
pillow over the apple IIs face, that would be a quite a feat!)

Harry