[comp.sys.apple2] IIgs diskless workstation problem

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (09/07/90)

A teacher in the local school system contacted us.  He is trying
to set up a bunch of IIgs diskless workstations;  they are
supposed to be able to boot off of a Mac SE/30 as a server.

A search of our Apple "Information Source" CD shows that this
is possible;  unfortunately, the various problems listed do not
seem to be the cause of his troubles.

What happens is this:
     Starts everything up
     IIgs stations begin blipping messages onto their screens
     time goes by
     each IIgs halts with a complaint that it is looking for
          an AFP file server.

Any clues?  I'm not familiar with the IIgs, but will be happy to
try and pass on tips to him;  he has no Usenet access.

Thanks in advance

In article <4334@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) writes:
>A teacher in the local school system contacted us.  He is trying
>to set up a bunch of IIgs diskless workstations;  they are
>supposed to be able to boot off of a Mac SE/30 as a server.
>
>     each IIgs halts with a complaint that it is looking for
>          an AFP file server.
>
>Thanks in advance

The "AFP Server" in question has to be using AFP 2.0 or later, or Apple II
clients can't use it.  For Apple's server software, you have to have AppleShare
2.0 or later (preferably 2.0.1, the current release).

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."