[comp.sys.apple2] UUCP for Apple II...

rat@deety.UUCP (David Douthitt) (09/06/90)

Pay attention!  If you have an Apple II with a CP/M card, you TOO can run
UUCP software...

>From news  Wed Aug 29 10:50:00 1990
>From: dg@pallio.UUCP (David Goodenough)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Subject: *** Official release of UUCP V2.1b ***
Date: 25 Aug 90 05:00:00 GMT

Those that have been paying attention (or who use the uucp maps for light
bedtime reading :-) ) will be aware that pallio.UUCP is in fact a CP/M
system. [Editors note: So is deety! However, deety is an Apple II!]
The software that provides mail and news access has been in beta
test for several months, and V2.1b has now been officially released.

I will be posting it to GEnie, I'll try to get a copy to Keith Petersen's
Royal Oak BBS, and it can also be retrieved from the rna server here at
pallio. The last three lines of this posting (below the .sig file) when
sent to pallio!rna will get you what you need. Just change 'your-address'
to either a bang path from a backbone site, or to an Internet style FQDN
(user@host.domain type thing). And to keep bandwidth down, put all three
in one letter, the server can cope with multiple requests in one message.
--
	dg@pallio.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

/send help to your-address
/send index to your-address
/send uucp to your-address

If you have any questions, feel free to ask - I helped write the
documentation for it.  Deety is an Apple II+ with a PCPI Applicard,
ZCPR 3.0, and a 5M Sider partition for CP/M.  I've been running
UUCP for some time, and all seems to work just fine.

    david

--
====== David Douthitt ======== aka "The Stainless Steel Rat" ====
UUCP: uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/07/90)

If it will run on a Gen-yoo-ine Microsoft Softcard then I am VERY interested.
I have an old ][+ that I used to hack to death but now that I have a GS it
has been getting mighty lonely. I also am sick of how slow our campus news is
and have often thought about starting a UUCP node to get my own news and mail.

However, the Zilog System 8000 I lucked into (discarded by one of our labs
when the bought some new suns) only lived long enough for us to change its
name to endtable (it makes a great coffee table) before the hard drive went
into a coma.

Two other questions: what's the minimum disk space required by the software
(would a 1 meg ramdisk suffice if I only received a few newsgropus and purged
them daily?) and how does it operate, that is, does it have to stay up all the
time or can I run it at night and use the ][+ during the day.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu