[comp.sys.apple2] ProTERM and interrupts & higher baud rates

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/08/90)

>rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) wrote:
>|I wrote the doubly quoted stuff.
>|       There was a ProDOS version of Ascii Express made.. version 4.2P
>| I believe...  I personally think it was a poor 'port' to ProDOS but at least
>| it's in ProDOS.
>I disagree.  I'm using Ascii Express v4.2P on an Apple II+ and it's wonderful.
	Well, as far as I can remember, it had what I'm now calling
the AppleWorks syndrome (which I think is fixed in the newest AppleWorks)..
That's where you have to type all of the pathnames and such and always
remember where and the exact filename of the file you're gonna send
(or do whatever with).  I do some "pathname-typing" even in Proterm, but not
most of the time.

>|       You might actually be able to run ProTERM, an AWESOME terminal
>| program, if it's version 1.9 or lower.. I know 1.9 and lower worked on an
>| unenhanced //e, so they might work on a II+. Don't hold me to it though!
>Proterm is indeed "easier" to use, but it STILL refuses to use interrupts,
>one of the standard features of any serial interface today.  I've watched
>ProTerm miss characters on a IIc, accelerated IIe, and IIgs.  Ascii Express
>WONT miss those characters.

	This isn't directly refuting your interrupt argument, but it seems
I have some circumstancial 'evidence' against it.

	I believe that you need interrupts on on a 1 mhz Apple II to
run at anything above 300 baud... Because I remember having to toggle
Switch 2-6 on the Super Serial Card [and telling lots of when they would
say they were losing characters!].
	So a few minutes ago for about 5 minutes I went back to slow mode
on my GS [Jeez! ProTERM scrollback takes FOREVER to scroll in 1 mHz!]..
	I am at 2400 baud. I missed absolutely no characters whatsoever.
I don't have buffering on in the control panel either.

	What's happening if interrupts aren't on and you say ProTERM misses
characters?

	As I said originally, I like(d) Ascii Express and think that it's
pretty much the KING of power for the user since you can configure
everything.. ProTERM's got almost as much power and is easier to use.
(And has Ymodem Batch!)

--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /