[comp.sys.apple2] IIgs mouse problem

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (09/03/90)

This weekend I started having a problem with my ROM 01 GS and its mouse.
When I move the mouse on its mousepad, the cursor doesnt move on the screen.
At least, not always and not the same amount.  Sometimes the screen cursor
just sits there.  Sometimes it moves a little bit.

Any ideas?
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/05/90)

lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:

>This weekend I started having a problem with my ROM 01 GS and its mouse.
>When I move the mouse on its mousepad, the cursor doesnt move on the screen.
>At least, not always and not the same amount.  Sometimes the screen cursor
>just sits there.  Sometimes it moves a little bit.

1. Unplug the mouse and plug it back it in.
2. Clean off the mouse ball and the inside of the mouse (blow into it).
3. Pop the top and use an old toothbrush to scrub between the ADB micro
	controller pins. This is a little chip between the ROMs and the memory
	slot that has really close together pins coming out of it on all four
	sides.

At some point in these instructions, your mouse should go back to normal. If
not, you are probably stuck with taking it in to have it checked out.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (09/05/90)

In article <9009030200.AA04930@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>This weekend I started having a problem with my ROM 01 GS and its mouse.
>When I move the mouse on its mousepad, the cursor doesnt move on the screen.
>At least, not always and not the same amount.  Sometimes the screen cursor
>just sits there.  Sometimes it moves a little bit.
>
>Any ideas?
>--
>Larry W. Virden
>Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

Sounds like your mouse may be dirty.  Try getting a cleaning kit and use it.

If you're like me (i.e. cheap) then grap some rubbing alcohol, a Q-tip, and
an X-acto knife.  Open up your mouse, remove the ball, and look at the three
metal rollers.  They should be very clean and very shiny.  If they aren't,
scrape the big gunk off with the X-acto (be careful not to scratch or notch
the rollers), and finish off the stuff with the alcohol/Qtip.

Commercial cleaners consist of a fuzzy pad and a velcro ball.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (09/06/90)

In article <9009030200.AA04930@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
|This weekend I started having a problem with my ROM 01 GS and its mouse.
|When I move the mouse on its mousepad, the cursor doesnt move on the screen.

It sounds as if your mouse has a dirty ball.  When was the last time you
opened it up and cleaned it?  There are commercial mouse cleaning kits avail-
able from office/computer supply stores that should do the trick.

I go for the direct approach and carefully open mine and scrape the little
roller things with a knife blade.  I use a platen cleaner on the ball itself.

--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (09/08/90)

Well I changed my Control Panel "Slots" slot 4 to Your Card and
the mouse didn't work with P8 applications. (I didn't try GS/OS)
I program may have inadvertantley changed it. . .

--
Sameer Parekh           |  Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone.
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM      |  "If cartoons were meant for adults