[comp.sys.apple2] Appleworks GS Questions

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (08/30/90)

  A friend asked me to help with some Appleworks GS questions he had and
we ran into a couple of problems.

  Since database reports are created as word processing documents and those
documents can't be more than 8" wide, we can't get database reports more
than 8" wide.  Is there any way around that?  (We've wound up copying the
database records into a spreadsheet and manipulating that, but it's not
ideal and I expect we'll run into memory problems eventually.)

  We've also found that the program bombs when we try creating a report
using subtotals.  We get the message "No more occurences of text found"
and then, after pressing the dialog button, we get another dialog box
with the message "A serious system error has occurred" and the machine
has to be rebooted.
  He was told by Claris that he has insufficient memory (he has a bare
bones 1.125 meg Rom 3), and I suspect that's true, but it does seem
as if the error message should be more relevant.  Has anyone else ran
into a similar problem?  How much memory should he get to run
Appleworks GS without continual serious memory problems?

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (09/01/90)

From article <9008291701.AA17270@apple.com>, by STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein):

>   A friend asked me to help with some Appleworks GS questions he had and
> we ran into a couple of problems.
>
>   Since database reports are created as word processing documents and those
> documents can't be more than 8" wide, we can't get database reports more
> than 8" wide.  Is there any way around that?  (We've wound up copying the
> database records into a spreadsheet and manipulating that, but it's not
> ideal and I expect we'll run into memory problems eventually.)

I think you have this scoped out pretty well.  To get what you want, you have
to use the spreadsheet.  Keep in mind that both DB and SS use memory more
efficiently than WP.

> using subtotals.  We get the message "No more occurences of text found"
> and then, after pressing the dialog button, we get another dialog box
> with the message "A serious system error has occurred" and the machine
> has to be rebooted.
>   He was told by Claris that he has insufficient memory (he has a bare
> bones 1.125 meg Rom 3), and I suspect that's true, but it does seem
> as if the error message should be more relevant.  Has anyone else ran
> into a similar problem?  How much memory should he get to run
> Appleworks GS without continual serious memory problems?

Well, it sounds like something is poking memory and the program is going into
na-na land.  If you could send Claris the file, we might be able to help you.
No guarantees, though.

To answer your second question, if you are running version 1.1 on system 5.0.2,
1 meg is what an average user needs.  If you do extensive work, I think getting
some more memory is reasonable.  I NEVER run out of memory on my 2 meg machine,
and believe me, I abuse the program.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (09/04/90)

In article <9008291701.AA17270@apple.com>, STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:

>   Since database reports are created as word processing documents and those
> documents can't be more than 8" wide, we can't get database reports more
> than 8" wide.  Is there any way around that?  (We've wound up copying the
> database records into a spreadsheet and manipulating that, but it's not
> ideal and I expect we'll run into memory problems eventually.)

Have you tried going into page setup and setting it to print sideways?

>   We've also found that the program bombs when we try creating a report
> using subtotals.  We get the message "No more occurences of text found"
> and then, after pressing the dialog button, we get another dialog box
> with the message "A serious system error has occurred" and the machine
> has to be rebooted.

Did the machine give you an error number?

--
Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@netcom.uucp   | {apple|claris}!netcom!avery
     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (09/09/90)

In article <13176@netcom.UUCP> avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:

> > and then, after pressing the dialog button, we get another dialog box
> > with the message "A serious system error has occurred" and the machine
> > has to be rebooted.

> Did the machine give you an error number?

The described dialog will never give you an error number.  It gets displayed
when AWGS hits a BRK or COP instruction and there's no handler previously
installed (like a debugger).  In fact, it's not really a dialog but a call to
TLMountVolume.  It was simply deemed friendlier than crashing into the monitor
for the average user, especially when the monitor is on the text screen and
the SHR is up.  At least the user knows he's crashed.  As for the bug that's
causing the crash... I can't help you immediately, but I've forwarded the info
(that I deleted from this message :-) about DB reports to someone who'll have
a better idea than I about what might be happening.

Additional note: if you **really** want to get into the monitor from the
aforementioned dialog, hold down the option and apple keys when you hit the
restart button (or hit return).  I can't guarantee whether all the registers
are valid, because I use FWEntry to get back to the monitor.

--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"