[comp.sys.apple2] Games for the Apple IIGS

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (09/03/90)

Doug Gwyn writes:

>A few days ago I tried to order the following from Programs Plus, one
>of the few mail-order outfits I have been able to find that stocks
>useful IIGS software, and they say that even they don't have these
>(all of which I have heard have recently been "released"):
>        Dragon Wars (IIGS-specific, not 8-bit) [Interplay]
>        Cosmocade (IIGS) [Micro Revelations]
>        Transylvania 3 (IIGS) [Polarware]
>Thus, these products cannot possibly be selling well, which will
>undoubtedly be taken as more evidence that "there is no significant
>Apple II(GS) market".

>P.S.  If anybody knows for sure where I can purchase these, please let
>me know!

>Add
>        Rastan (IIGS) [Taito]
>to this list.

Boy... I guess this drought with no Apple IIGS games has been pretty bad.
However, before you get all excited and start proclaiming the Apple II a
dead machine  :-)  ...  please keep in mind a couple of things.

A new game may be released by its manufacturer, but that doesn't mean it
becomes instantly available to software suppliers like Programs Plus or
Silicon Express.

If you want a game bad enough, order it direct from the publisher, like
Taito.  It will cost you more, but you'll get it right away.  For
example, Rastan GS _ started_ shipping a week ago; but that doesn't mean
it went everywhere.  A friend of mine got his copy this Friday (he paid
for Red Label delivery, and list price). If you want to get the discount,
you'll probably have to wait for a couple of weeks for Rastan.  Egghead
probably won't have Rastan in its stores until a month from now.

Dragonwars GS isn't finished yet.  That's why the mail-order people don't
know about it.  Dragonwars is going to have a surprise for everyone;
the music will be implementing the new midi-synth stuff  :-).

Cosmocade, while finished, isn't out because Brian Greenstone (the author)
hasn't completed negotiating with the company who will be releasing it.
Until that is done, you won't see Cosmocade out.  I have no idea how that
is progressing.  I hope we'll see it soon, however.

Transylvania III?  Didn't we just get Transylvania II?  (I don't really
know about that one; sorry).

There are some other new games being developed of the Apple IIGS, one
is Dragon's Lair (from what I've heard, there are arguments between the
programmer and the company; so that's why this one is being delayed);
and I understand Electronic Arts is going to be putting out a new one by
the author of Zany Golf; an RPG game (the name escapes me for the
moment); and a new Cryllian Mission (totally new scenerio; actually a
totally different game); Renegade GS.

Possibly, we'll get Pipedreams GS; and Taito has plans for one more game
(but I can't remember the name of that one either, is it Oids?).  Also, I
heard that Task Force sold well, so Britannia may put out another GS game.

Oh, one more thing.  Just because you see a game listed in an ad in
Incider, for example; it doesn't mean that it's available.  It is just
that the ads are printed up so far in advance that they are making a
few optimistic assumptions.

Lynda

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/03/90)

In article <4224@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>Oh, one more thing.  Just because you see a game listed in an ad in
>Incider, for example; it doesn't mean that it's available.  It is just
>that the ads are printed up so far in advance that they are making a
>few optimistic assumptions.

"Optimistic" is an understatement.  I seem to recall seeing Space Quest 3
for the IIGS listed in an ad, and I *know* I've seen Manhunter:SF for the
IIGS listed in ads.  (Sierra never did explain why they cancelled that
one; since it was based on CGI, not SCI, their usual excuse doesn't wash.)

Mike Aos <UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET> (09/04/90)

In article <13731@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) says:

>In article <4224@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>>Oh, one more thing.  Just because you see a game listed in an ad in
>>Incider, for example; it doesn't mean that it's available.  It is just
>>that the ads are printed up so far in advance that they are making a
>>few optimistic assumptions.
>
>"Optimistic" is an understatement.  I seem to recall seeing Space Quest 3
>for the IIGS listed in an ad, and I *know* I've seen Manhunter:SF for the
>IIGS listed in ads.  (Sierra never did explain why they cancelled that
>one; since it was based on CGI, not SCI, their usual excuse doesn't wash.)

Cancelled which one?  I have both of 'em.
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/04/90)

In article <4572UD182050@NDSUVM1> UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
>In article <13731@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) says:
>>"Optimistic" is an understatement.  I seem to recall seeing Space Quest 3
>>for the IIGS listed in an ad, and I *know* I've seen Manhunter:SF for the
>>IIGS listed in ads.  (Sierra never did explain why they cancelled that
>>one; since it was based on CGI, not SCI, their usual excuse doesn't wash.)
>Cancelled which one?  I have both of 'em.

Funny, Sierra doesn't list them in their "on-line catalog" on the various
information services or even their own BBS (as of a couple of weeks ago,
which is when I last checked).  I tried ordering these directly from Sierra
and had my order returned with a note that these products were not going to
be released.  Do you know someplace that is actually selling them?

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (09/05/90)

Lynda is right on the mark.  Rastan IS out, and I don't know about anywhere
else, but here in the Chicago area, it is IN the software stores.  I'm saving
up my money :-)

Transylvania III GS has been out for like... six months now.  I can't imagine
why you can't find it.

Excellent!  I can't wait for Dragonwars GS.  Those types of games are right up
my alley... like Dungeon Master and Bard's Tale.  And the new music stuff is
going to make it even better.

"Get your hands off the wheel!  We know what happens when YOU fly." --
                                             -- Gene to Billy, "Air America"
 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|               BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|

  "Don't worry.  I crash better than anyone I know." -- Gene, "Air America"

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (09/09/90)

Transylvania III is out... I think it's been out for a while in fact.  I've
seen it around...