[comp.sys.apple2] D&D/Wizardry/Ultima-ish games for Apple II with auto-mapping

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/01/90)

	This is part of an article I recently posted to rec.games.misc.
I should have cross-posted it here but I didn't think of it at the time.
[The article I posted there also had all the info about writing to Origin
in case there happened to be people ot read rec.games.misc who have
Apples but don't read this group]   Enough rambling..

        Does anyone know of any D&D type games (i.e. in the genre of
Wizardry and Ultima) for the Apple II series that either auto-map or
require no mapping for some other reason?

        I like Wizardry and Ultima, I just really dislike the boring
mapping..

        If there are any Apple IIGS specific games of this kind it would
be even better, but if there were any I'd most likely know of them already.
The only one I can think of is Dark Designs I, a game very much like
Wizardry which came on a SoftDisk GS.  It had a portion of the screen where
it showed the portion of the map you were in and detailed any places
you'd already been through.

        If they're non-GS specific I'd like to know about them too.

        Thank you very much.

--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

dkl@nuchat.UUCP (david karl leikam) (09/03/90)

In article <6513@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:

>        Does anyone know of any D&D type games (i.e. in the genre of
>Wizardry and Ultima) for the Apple II series that either auto-map or
>require no mapping for some other reason?

   Bard's Tale IIGS - and probably I, but I can't testify to that from
personal knowledge. BTIIIgs doesn't exist, to my knowledge, (yet?)
However, the map is only for the current dungeon session and level - i.e.,
leave the dungeon or change levels, you lose the map.

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (09/05/90)

Well, with Bard's Tale GS, and BTII GS (Destiny Knight), neither one has any
auto mapping feature.  You do, however, get maps of the towns and/or
communities.  With BTI, you get a map of skara brae.  With BTII, you get a map
of the land showing where each of the towns are.  You do NOT get maps of the
dungeons.  You either have to make them yourself, or you can buy the clue
books which contain the maps for everything.

A good game with AutoMapping is DragonWars.  It is currently out for the //e,
and the GS demo looks very promising.  You could also try Wraith.  I haven't
gotten very far yet, but the dungeons and castles are not so complex (so far)
where you would really need to map.

Besides, mapping is half the fun! :-)

"Get your hands off the wheel!  We know what happens when YOU fly." --
                                             -- Gene to Billy, "Air America"
 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|               BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|

  "Don't worry.  I crash better than anyone I know." -- Gene, "Air America"

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (09/06/90)

In article <4260@crash.cts.com> tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:

|Well, with Bard's Tale GS, and BTII GS (Destiny Knight), neither one has any
|auto mapping feature.  You do, however, get maps of the towns and/or

Actually, BTII GS does have an auto mapping feature of sorts.  It creates a map
of the various dungeons as you move about through them.  It doesn't save it
after you exit the dungeon but it is helpful as you wander about.

--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul

dkl@nuchat.UUCP (david karl leikam) (09/07/90)

In article <4260@crash.cts.com> tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:

>Well, with Bard's Tale GS, and BTII GS (Destiny Knight), neither one has any
>auto mapping feature.  You do, however, get maps of the towns and/or

  (Wordlessly boots up BT2gs, wanders around in dungeon, brings up map. QED)

andyt@pro-exchange.cts.com (Andy Thomason) (09/08/90)

I know that Infocom's latest Zork version does automapping, but it is only
available on the GS and Mac, in the apple line, I believe.  Hoepe this helps.

)-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-(
( UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!andyt          )  "I THINK too much, therefore...
) ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!andyt@nosc.mil (                ...I AM too much!"
( INET: andyt@pro-exchange.cts.com        )  --------/|
)  -all addresses also apply to pro-south (   ------/_|   _________
(-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-)    ----/  |ndy |homason

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (09/09/90)

Thanks for that correction, Paul.  I bought BTII GS some time ago and haven't
played it recently.  As long as we're on the subject, I'd like to say that in
my opinion the Bard's Tale GS programs are two of the best for the GS...
ranked up there with Dungeon Master.

"Get your hands off the wheel!  We know what happens when YOU fly." --
                                             -- Gene to Billy, "Air America"
 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|               BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|

  "Don't worry.  I crash better than anyone I know." -- Gene, "Air America"

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (09/09/90)

Yah, it was brought to my attention that there is a DUNGEON auto mapping
feature, but you can get nice and lost in the towns if you aren't careful.
Dungeon auto mapping won't help you a bit if you can't FIND the dungeons. :)