[comp.sys.apple2] C book

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (09/07/90)

I just got my Orca/C v1.1 update and included was an ad for _Learn to Program
in C_ by Mike Westerfield.  Does anyone know if this is good? I would like
to learn how to program (just in general, and with C as a medium) and would
this be a good book for that?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks alot.

--
Sameer Parekh           |  Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone.
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM      |  "If cartoons were meant for adults

coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep06.230149.5144@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
>I just got my Orca/C v1.1 update and included was an ad for _Learn to Program
>in C_ by Mike Westerfield.  Does anyone know if this is good? I would like
>to learn how to program (just in general, and with C as a medium) and would
>this be a good book for that?

The ONLY book for Programming in C is "The C Programming Language" by
Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie.  These fellow are the people
who wrote the language.  The examples in the book exhibit good
programming style and is a good book for learning EXCELLENT as a reference.
It is the only book used at Purdue by the Electrical Engineering
department to teach the C course that I have seen.  Around here it is
refered to as the C bible.

coxr@en.ecn.purdue.edu       American Online : Rich Kid
"And the kids they dance, they shake their bones" -GD

peace,

-Rich

RMARTIN@UTCVM.BITNET (Drew Martin) (09/09/90)

 .edu!coxr@UCSD.EDU>

>>I just got my Orca/C v1.1 update and included was an ad for _Learn to Program
>>in C_ by Mike Westerfield.  Does anyone know if this is good? I would like
>>to learn how to program (just in general, and with C as a medium) and would
>>this be a good book for that?
>
>The ONLY book for Programming in C is "The C Programming Language" by
>Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie.

  _The_C_Programming_Language, is okay; but not too helpful.  I loved
_Unix_Shell_Programming_ by Stephen G. Kochan.  It gave enough on the
basic commands to learn Unix from, and got into the detailed stuff.  It
was well-indexed (the most thing in ANY reference) it gave lots of
examples and explained WHY things had to be done, not just to do it.
   Kochan also wrote _Programming_in_C_, which is as well done as his
UNIX book.  It's also cheaper, 24.95 = $25, while the K&R is 31.95 = $32.
Kochan's stuff is available from Hayden books.
    4300 West 62nd St
    Indianapolis, IN  46268

   Another good one is _The_Complete_C_Reference_.  It covers Standard C
(some call Standard, ANSI), C++, and even an appendix on the differences
between K&R C and Standard C.  It includes a lot more techniques for
standard programming projects (it gives suggestions on good sorting
routines, taking advantage of C).  It goes into graphic libraries and
commands, Console I/O and File I/O each have their own chapter, there's
one on "Queues, Stacks, Linked Lists, and Trees", "Sparse Arrays",
"Expression Parsing and Evaluation", "Efficiency, Porting, and Debugging",
using assembly routines, software Engineering in C, and even "AI-Based
Problem Solving".  It is a very good book, and is thorough; it's about
820 pages (including the index).  Hayden's is 384, and K&R is 272.  I
know size isn't everything, but it *does* limit an author.
   _The_Complete_C_Reference_  $28.95 =$29
   McGraw-Hill
   2600 Tenth St
   Berkeley, CA  94710

   The K&R explains the commands, but it doesn't offer as much help as
either of the other two.  My recommendation is get the Hayden and McGraw-
Hill books.  The Hayden is a great book to learn C from.  It's well
written, clear, and full of examples.  The McGraw-Hill book is good for
suggestions on more advanced techniques, or further information on some-
thing in the Hayden book.
   In case you're wondering I bought all three, in the order I have
described.  I got the Hayden book, right after I started looking through
the K&R (I didn't look before I bought it...).  I had a couple of friends
who swore by the McGraw-Hill, and it looked like a good supplement.

                          Signed,
                               Drew
                                  The Ram
                                     Erik Leatherback
                                      Duncan & Ranthulfr
                                       Richard Andrew(Drew) Martin

   "When things look their worst I just say to myself, 'Cheer up,
things could be worse.' and sure enough, they are."
                                                Skeeve, (The Great)

   "Gee Aahz, what could go wrong?"   - Skeeve (a... native of Klah)
   "The mind boggles."                - Aahz   (a pervECT)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep8.010336.5846@ecn.purdue.edu> coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) writes:
>The ONLY book for Programming in C is "The C Programming Language" by
>Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie.

For ANSI C, such as ORCA/C purports to be, make sure you get the SECOND
EDITION of the book.  The first edition is also still being sold, but it
has value primarily as a reference for pre-ANSI implementations of C.
The second edition is more readable and has numerous small errors fixed.

In article <9009082341.AA03694@apple.com> RMARTIN@UTCVM.BITNET (Drew Martin) writes:
>It goes into graphic libraries and commands, Console I/O and ...

One should beware of this when trying to learn C.  Standard C does
not include any graphics routines, commands, or console-specific I/O.
Usually, books that describe such things are actually describing one
particular implementation, for example Turbo C under MS-DOS.  One real
advantage of K&R (2nd Ed.) is that it describes what is universal about
C and avoids describing what is specific to any particular environment.
This is important to learn early in one's C experience, because one of
the main advantages of C is its high degree of portability -- IF one
has learned what is guaranteed for C versus what is accidentally true
for a limited subset of programming/execution environments.

Plum Hall Inc. (1 Spruce Av, Cardiff NJ 08232, (609)927-3770) is a
company that specializes in C training, and has published several good
books such as "Learning to Program in C", "Reliable Data Structures in
C", and "Efficient C" which serve well for self-education in C.  They
can be found in some of the better bookstores or ordered directly from
the publisher (as is usually true for technical books).

I recommend steering clear of "The C Puzzle Book", which teaches
details to the detriment of overall programming philosophy, as well as
any book that targets the IBM PC (MS-DOS) environment specifically.