[comp.sys.apple2] Apple CP/M --> ProDOS??

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (09/08/90)

I thought that I had disposed of all my old Apple CP/M disks when I
sold my Microsoft SoftCard, but noooooo...

So, I have this pile of disks (mostly plain old ASCII text, written
with WordMaster, of all things), and I'd like to send the data
somewhere useful, like ProDOS.  Is there some ProDOS utility that can
read these CP/M disks and rewrite the data in ProDOS text files?

Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett Packard Company, Open Systems Software Division
MS 48SO, 19447 Pruneridge Avenue, Cupertino CA  95014
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not my employer's.

lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) (09/09/90)

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:

>I thought that I had disposed of all my old Apple CP/M disks when I
>sold my Microsoft SoftCard, but noooooo...

>So, I have this pile of disks (mostly plain old ASCII text, written
>with WordMaster, of all things), and I'd like to send the data
>somewhere useful, like ProDOS.  Is there some ProDOS utility that can
>read these CP/M disks and rewrite the data in ProDOS text files?

Quality Software, which also made Bag of Tricks (DOS) and Bag of Tricks 2
(ProDOS), made a program called either Universal Disk Conversion or Universal
File Convertor which I believe did what you require, without needing a
Softcard or compatible.

I am not 100 % certain that it did CP/M, but I remember it having that
conversion as well as to/from Apple Pascal, DOS 3.3 and ProDOS.

I do not know whether Quality Software is still operating, sorry.  I haven't
seen new products by them in years.

If you are able to purchase or borrow the conversion program and the text
dosn't come out in the correct text format, you might want to look for a text
file conversion program called Chameleon, which I believe is freeware or
shareware.

I hope this helps you.  Disclaimer: These programs may be difficult to obtain
since they existed at least three years ago.  I no longer use my Apple much
except to play Olympic Decathlon.  (Under ProDOS, no less, too!)

>Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Dwight A Lee  /  lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu  /  815-758-1389  /  tCS/BB  /  Font
I speak only for myself.  /  "I am not the only dust my mother raised" - TMBG

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (09/10/90)

There is a program called Cameleon that will transfer CP/M text files to
ProDos disks.   Send me E-Mail for more info.

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (09/10/90)

I think that the utility Chameleon will convert CP/M, Pascal, and DOS 3.3 to
Prodos....
Available everywhere, like the Public Domain Exchange.
scottr@applesauce.bb.ny