[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS Quit problems again

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (09/11/90)

I remember someone having problems with the Quit code of GS/OS a while back,
but I'm not positive that this is the same.  This is what happens:

I boot up ANY disk containing System v5.02 (AWGS System ORIGINAL or off of
my HD), hit OA-Q (or choose it w/ mouse) and click either shut down or
restart, click OK, and it crashes.  It has been doing this off of the
floppies for a while, but my HD just started doing this yesterday.
The AWGS original has only been un-write protect long enough to copy a
SCSI driver/manager to the Drivers folder, which was this weekend, BTW.

I have four DA's: Control Panel, ShowPic v4.27, Grass, and AppleFancy; more
are there but all inactive.

I have a few Inits: InitPic, Greetings, Animated Watch, DeskPicture, Start
Logo, and other inactive ones.

I am running a ROM 01 GS with 1.25 megs of Apple Expansion Memory, 1 3.5,
Transwarp GS, Apple 5.25 Drive,
and a 100meg Quantum HD w/ Apple DMA SCSI.  Are all of my System disks
corrupted in some way, or am I just going crazy?  I will take out all of
my inits/DA's, but everything has worked fine with them in for the last
1.5 months.

BTW, I found the BLACKOUT virus (via Photonix) last week.  Does anyone know
the symptoms and/or cure of this thing?  It accidentally got put in the
drive when I was on the desktop, and I shut down as soon as I saw it.
I have since replace my system disk TWICE (yes, using the Installer) and
Prosel 16 v.8.52 once.  The disk was only in the drive long enough for me
to notice what it was, so I don't think it had 'time' to attach to anything.
At least I don't think it did....

BTW again, neither Photonix nor Vaccine could remove this virus.  Photonix
knows it's there, but won't remove it.  Vaccine just doesn't have a clue.

Wait... I know a cure!!  Throw the disk into the wood stove and watch the
demons return to hell.

Please help; I'm a desparate man... and second, I want some fresh coffee.
                                          - Homocidal office dude from Robocop

Dale LaFountain
dalel@servio.UUCP
dalel@servio.SLC.COM

In article <676@servio.UUCP> dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) writes:

>I boot up ANY disk containing System v5.02 (AWGS System ORIGINAL or off of
>my HD), hit OA-Q (or choose it w/ mouse) and click either shut down or
>restart, click OK, and it crashes.

Clue #1:  Crashes when GS/OS shuts down.

>It has been doing this off of the
>floppies for a while, but my HD just started doing this yesterday.
>The AWGS original has only been un-write protect long enough to copy a
>SCSI driver/manager to the Drivers folder, which was this weekend, BTW.

Clue #2:  A new SCSI Driver/Manager was installed, but no mention of the
Installer.

>I have four DA's: Control Panel, ShowPic v4.27, Grass, and AppleFancy; more
>are there but all inactive.
>
>I have a few Inits: InitPic, Greetings, Animated Watch, DeskPicture, Start
>Logo, and other inactive ones.
>
>I am running a ROM 01 GS with 1.25 megs of Apple Expansion Memory, 1 3.5,
>Transwarp GS, Apple 5.25 Drive,
>and a 100meg Quantum HD w/ Apple DMA SCSI.

Clue #3:  Apple DMA SCSI card.

>Are all of my System disks
>corrupted in some way, or am I just going crazy?  I will take out all of
>my inits/DA's, but everything has worked fine with them in for the last
>1.5 months.

Solution:  You copied the new SCSI Drivers and Manager to your hard disk on
top of 5.0.2 without using the Installer.  As has been stated many times before,
the SCSI Manager on the DMA SCSI disk calls a system service vector which is
not present in 5.0.2.

If you'd used the Installer, it would have copied the new OS files for you
automatically.  Using the Installer is a sign of intelligence, not lack
thereof.  USE IT!

>BTW, I found the BLACKOUT virus (via Photonix) last week.  Does anyone know
>the symptoms and/or cure of this thing?  It accidentally got put in the
>drive when I was on the desktop, and I shut down as soon as I saw it.
>I have since replace my system disk TWICE (yes, using the Installer) and
>Prosel 16 v.8.52 once.  The disk was only in the drive long enough for me
>to notice what it was, so I don't think it had 'time' to attach to anything.
>At least I don't think it did....
>
>BTW again, neither Photonix nor Vaccine could remove this virus.  Photonix
>knows it's there, but won't remove it.  Vaccine just doesn't have a clue.
>
>Wait... I know a cure!!  Throw the disk into the wood stove and watch the
>demons return to hell.
>
>Please help; I'm a desparate man... and second, I want some fresh coffee.
>                                          - Homocidal office dude from Robocop
>
>Dale LaFountain
>dalel@servio.UUCP
>dalel@servio.SLC.COM

Blackout attaches through the boot blocks.  Take good boot blocks (blocks
zero and one) off a good disk (like the DMA SCSI disk) and replace those on
all the disks you had with them.

Alternatively, Davex's INIT command has a "-w" option that will write new
boot blocks from inside INIT (not off any disk, so they're good) to the
specified disk.  Also a good way to make /RAM5 bootable after you've already
copied files to it.
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."