[comp.sys.apple2] Duet/Apple II death

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/13/90)

>You know it goes the other way too...   Anyo.e out there remember Duet is
>coming????  That way you get the power of a IIgs and a mac...
>led's go for "Mac in a II"   It'll probably be cheaper anyway...
        I think this guy has major line noise.. his message was filled
with lots of 'noise' characters.

        I have something to say about this point though.

        I thought the Duet was a great idea at first too, and it's still
pretty good... But after hearing some of the details about it I'm
starting to wonder if I'd even buy one. Yes, I'd obviously check it out
when it's actually released and make an informed decision then, but the
graphics is one of the main problems of the Duet!

        It's going to use regular superhires mode! 640 * 200! One of the
(relatively few) things that I --really really-- like about the Mac is
the graphics.. More specifically, the SQUARE PIXELS. You'd think they'd
put a video controller on the card too, just like the video overlay
card does... The VOC increases the resolution so we know it can be
done. (the VOC uses 640 * 400, and you can tell as it's flickery, but
not as bad as the Amiga in my opinion).
        Actually, with the standard ratio screen that we have (it is
standard ratio, isn't it? same as TV's ratio) I thought that 640 * 400
would have square pixels on this ratio screen.
        My main point is that I think using standard GS SHR mode is a
REALLY bad point about the Duet!

--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/14/90)

In article <6823@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
>        Actually, with the standard ratio screen that we have (it is
>standard ratio, isn't it? same as TV's ratio) I thought that 640 * 400
>would have square pixels on this ratio screen.

Vertical height is often adjustable, and even on quite pricey systems
you shouldn't think of taking measurements directly off the display.

640x200 is all that a IIGS provides in its display circuitry, unless
you add more display memory and other circuitry as in Apple's Video
Overlay Card (which uses interlacing that apparently many people think
flickers excessively on the standard Apple RGB monitor).  I don't see
how Duet could really have made any other choice, although it would be
nice if it could utilize the VOC when one happens to be present.

I fully agree that 640x400 is a sensible display resolution for a GS-like
system.  (I said that when the GS was first introduced!)