[comp.sys.apple2] Reading IBM 3.5's

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/09/90)

Is there any program out there that would allow me to read an ascii
file off of an IBM 720/1.2Mb 3.5 and transfer it to ProDos?  (Besides
of course buying a PC transporter :-)

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/09/90)

>file off of an IBM 720/1.2Mb 3.5 and transfer it to ProDos?

I don't think it's possible to transfer a 1.2Mb 3.5 (considering they don't
exitst :)  I assume you mean a 1.44meg 3.5?  (1.2megs are the High density
5.25" disks).  Anyway, unless the new AE 1.4Mb drive is compatible with the
1.44Mb disks that have been formatted on a true 1.44meg drive, it won't be
possible to transfer files from a 1.44Mb ms-dos disk to ProDOS (using ProDOS).

As far as program existing for transfering ms-dos 720k disk files to prodos,
I haven't heard of any, but it's definately possible to do.

(When's that FST coming out Apple?).

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

ECO8941@ECOSTAT.AAU.DK ("Povl H. Pedersen") (09/09/90)

The easiest way to transfer between Macintosh, IIGS and MS-DOS is just to
use AFE (Apple File Exchange) on the macintosh. It will support all 3 formats,
also the HD versions if the mac is not too old.

Povl H. Pedersen
Denmark

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (09/12/90)

In article <38BD9678DA9F21AE2D@vms2.uni-c.dk> ECO8941@ECOSTAT.AAU.DK ("Povl H. Pedersen") writes:

>The easiest way to transfer between Macintosh, IIGS and MS-DOS is just to
>use AFE (Apple File Exchange) on the macintosh. It will support all 3 formats,
>also the HD versions if the mac is not too old.
>
>Povl H. Pedersen
>Denmark

This assumes that the person >>>has<<< a mac, and even more -- a mac with
either a 5.25 PC drive or a "Superdrive".

I'd imagine that (for ascii anyhow) use of a null modem or a "third party"
(like a BBS or unix account) is a tad easier if you don't need format
translation.

(all dogcows go to Heaven)
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
|Vernon Williams					| vw3@cunixf         |
|Evening Supervisor/Library Assistant			+--------------------+
|Thomas J. Watson Library of Business and Economics	| 130 Uris Hall      |

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/14/90)

Actually, the easiest way to transfer data between the GS, Mac, and MS-DOS is to
use AppleShare.  I know.  I've tried just about every way so far (I even bought
a disk drive for my PC that let me read and write Apple // diskettes).  The only
problem with Appleshare is that you need to dedicate a mac to it (at least, until
System 7.0 comes out).
*** Randy Hyde O-)