[comp.sys.apple2] CDA GS/OS file format

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) (09/06/90)

  Does anyone know specifically (like in what reference I can look it up) what
the $45 bytes is in the beginning of a CDA file?  I'm wanting to write some
short assembly routines as CDA's, but I don't have an assembler, it's all been
done by hand.  I've created a CDA file and I can save the code from the monitor
using prodos, but these extra $45 bytes seem to control the way GS/OS loads the
CDA, and I can't figure it out.

Thanx in advance....

                                                                             .
 Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu  ||  dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu .
 Anyone who programs or has an idea for a program for the IIgs, PLEASE send  .
 me mail!                                                                    .

In article <1990Sep5.201614.2370@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) writes:

>  Does anyone know specifically (like in what reference I can look it up) what
>the $45 bytes is in the beginning of a CDA file?  I'm wanting to write some
>short assembly routines as CDA's, but I don't have an assembler, it's all been
>done by hand.  I've created a CDA file and I can save the code from the monitor
>using prodos, but these extra $45 bytes seem to control the way GS/OS loads the
>CDA, and I can't figure it out.

Apparently you're referring to the OMF header that all loadable files have.
OMF is documented in the GS/OS Reference, new from Addison-Wesley.

No assembler?  Give it up, man.  ORCA/M is only about $39 mail-order; doing it
any other way (than with an assembler) just isn't worth it.  Especially where
OMF is involved.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (09/08/90)

In article <44583@apple.Apple.COM>, mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

> No assembler?  Give it up, man.  ORCA/M is only about $39 mail-order; doing it
> any other way (than with an assembler) just isn't worth it.  Especially where
> OMF is involved.
>
> --
> Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are

It seems that with systems that use extensive tool box calls Assembler
would be the way to go. For instance, when programming the Mac so many
of the actions are so system dependent that portability becomes somewhat
moot anyway.

bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (09/14/90)

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
 [I nuked Matt's article entirely...]

>It seems that with systems that use extensive tool box calls Assembler
>would be the way to go. For instance, when programming the Mac so many
>of the actions are so system dependent that portability becomes somewhat
>moot anyway.

	Uh, there are a few other issues at stake than portability... For
example, I'm re-writing a program that was originally written in 100%
assembly. It took roughly a month for the previous author to do it, and wasn't
very flexible. I'm re-writing it in C, I've got about 70% of it done, I've
only been working on it for about 5 days, and it's a _lot_ more flexible (and
it's not slower, either). This isn't because I'm such a great programmer, it's
just because of the relative flexability of C vs. assembly...

>bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

	(Before anyone flames me: I like assembly. It's great. It's fast. It
has it's place.)
--
Jason B. - jason@madnix.UUCP or astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu
I'm now working at SoftDisk, Inc. Of course, what I say is what I say, and not