[comp.sys.apple2] Unclaimed Sound Interrupt

SYSMEST@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (08/09/90)

Lately my IIgs has been craping out on the following message.

Unclaimed Sound Interrupt

The message is sometimes accompanied by    at $08FF

The message usually repeats constantly and will not allow OA/cntl/esc,
it will allow OA/cntl/reset, but is falls right back to the Unclaimed Sound...
message.

Could this be related to the fact that my battery died a couple weeks ago and I
haven't got around to replacing it yet . . .

Anyone had similar problems or know whats going on . . .
Either posted responses or email is ok . . .
Thanks in advance for any help . . .

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (08/10/90)

An unclaimed Sound Interrupt error will occur when you acidentally set the
interrupt flag for a given occillator and then play it.  When the DOC gets to
the end of the wave, it tries to execute an interrupt routine, but if there
isn't one, then you get the Unclaimed error.  I ran into the same thing a long
g time ago, and once I corrected the interrupt bit it worked just fine.

-Brian
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil
INET: orcus@pro-lep.cts.com

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/09/90)

I have an AppleIIGS ROM03 with an Apple DMA SCSI, AE TWGS, AE Audio Animator,
Harris Labs GS Sauce memory card with 2 one meg SIMMS, an unused AE GS RAM+
memory card( discarded in favour of the SIMM approach).

I have been getting the 08FF error for some time. I thought the SIMM card
would get rid of it, but it didn't( although things got a bit better).

The results of an 08FF error are just awful. And the error arises in an
unpredictable fashion( i.e. I can't induce it- other than leaving the
computer on for a long(one hour?) doing nothing, and even that won't assure
the error.

It has been suggested that the cause may be:
(a) power supply too weak
(b) Conserver external fan not powerful enough
(c) Ensoniq chip needs to be removed( can't on a ROM03) and cleaned
(d)TWGS faulty
(e) GS RAM+ not DMA compatible( turns out it is but that's neither here nor
    there now, unless I want to use it as a RAM disk).
(f)Battery low.

PLEASE, doesn't anyone KNOW what it is. It's not (a)->(f). The GS is not
usable anymore. I will have to trash it unless I can get rid of this error
and this is not something I want to do.

Are there any other possibilities?

Something POWERFUL is going on as a crash resets the control panel to the
factory settings and usually makes the control panel unreadable( characters
everywhere, computer out of control). Booting from a floppy does not help.
Setting the DMA SCSI card to non-DMA does not help.

There is no piece of software which sets this off.

Can anything be done?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@ utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (09/10/90)

During the summer, I work for a local Apple dealer in my area.  I have
seen at least 2 or 3 cases of problems with TWGS cards that seemd to be
fixed by changing a configuration option.  If you are using a TWGS, but
not using AppleTalk, turn off the "AppleTalk Interrupts" option in the
TWGS setup screen.  (I think that's what its called).  Don't forget to
turn it back on if you start using AppleTalk.  I don't guarantee that
this will fix the problem, but it seems to help.

P.S. Someone reply to me by email if this gets outside CMU.  I seem to
be having problems posting to newsgroups.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

USERID@bunny.gte.com (Michael Hackney) (09/11/90)

As I mentioned earlier (~3 weeks ago) I have had the same problem.  Mine
is DEFINITELY temperature related.  The increase in temperature is caused
by any combination of:

1) insuffecient power supply
2) improper ventelation (poor fan, blocked air paths)
3) too many 'high power drain' cards - including RAM expansion slot cards.
4) outside air temperature

I almost never had errors in the winter (I keep my office COLD).  In the
spring, summer and fall the frequency increased.  On really hot days, I
couldn't even start up the computer and run it for 5 minutes without $08FF
errors.

Then I discovered that the VBL chip (the socketed square chip) under the
power supply was "loose".  When I pressed down on the chip, it would rock slightly.  I turned on the cmputer on a really hot day and WA LA, no $08FF errors!  Several weeks later they started cropping up again and I reseated the chip to eliminate them.  I went several months with occasionally reseating the chip.  Finally, I epoxied (rather harsh) the chip in place.  It has been a
year now and I have not had a single $08FF error!

I am a professional GS software developer and my computers are on about 20
hours a day, 7 days a week.  I used to have days when I could not even use
the GS without constant crashing.  I keep a can of "Instant Cold" spray handy (available at electronics supply stores).  If you suspect a hot chip problem, just zap the sucker to chill it off.

Michael Hackney
PiWare

sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/13/90)

/* Written 10:59 am  Sep 11, 1990 by USERID@bunny.gte.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple2 */
[...]

/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple2 */

sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/13/90)

Re-seating all the chips on your machine will, in my opinion and experience,
clear up about 80% of all mysterious, un-repeatable, unpredictable hardware
errors.  Back in the days of my //e, I was having wierd things happen at
strange times, and simply removing the lid and pressing down on each chip
(strange crunchy sounds were heard) cleared up the problem forever.

A similar problem on a friend's GS was cleared up the same way.

Just ground yourself and re-seat the chips.  Heat changes from turning your
machine on and off (especially leaving it on 20 hours and off 4) will cause
these types of problems.  You'd probably be better off leaving the machine
on 24 hours a day.  My //e was on 24 hours a day for 2 years straight with
only that one incident, and my GS has been on for about 3.5 years straight
(aside from commuting to/from school) without any problems (why?  running a
bbs and then my GS battery died)...  anyway

CALL DELTA CITY 217-328-7400 USROBOTICS 14.4K BAUD 100 MEGS DOWNLOADS & BBS
-BW

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/14/90)

In article <139800021@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Re-seating all the chips on your machine will, in my opinion and experience,
>clear up about 80% of all mysterious, un-repeatable, unpredictable hardware
>errors.

I only wish! It's not quite that straightforward on a ROM03. The chips are
on the whole not socketed but surface mounted.

If heat is an issue, from the TWGS for example, then can you suggest a more
powerful( but quiet) fan for the GS. Perhaps the GS power supply can't
handle the power load of the TWGS, DMA SCSI, GS Sauce memory, Audio Animator?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (09/14/90)

In article <139800020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written 10:59 am  Sep 11, 1990 by USERID@bunny.gte.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple2 */
>As I mentioned earlier (~3 weeks ago) I have had the same problem.  Mine
>is DEFINITELY temperature related.  The increase in temperature is caused
>by any combination of:
>
>1) insuffecient power supply
>2) improper ventelation (poor fan, blocked air paths)
>3) too many 'high power drain' cards - including RAM expansion slot cards.
>4) outside air temperature
>
>I almost never had errors in the winter (I keep my office COLD).  In the
>spring, summer and fall the frequency increased.  On really hot days, I
>couldn't even start up the computer and run it for 5 minutes without $08FF
>errors.

(Some stuff deleted here...)

I found out that using Stylewares Phone Filer caused my System to crash
when I tried to start a ProDOS 8 program after using the Phone Filer. This
even occurs when I installed the DA later with a Install-NDA. Try to remove
that DA if you use it.

>Michael Hackney
>PiWare

Martin Georg