[comp.sys.apple2] Question about ProDOS

whittington@fixsr1.dec.com (Phantom) (09/11/90)

I have an Apple GS, and some ProDOS formatted floppies I need to convert to DOS
on an IBM compatable. Am I dreaming, but have'nt I seen some package which
converts formats for you that runs on Apple? Also, is there a way to do a
"print screen" to my imagewriter? What I am looking for is when I run this
program, which is ASCII text only( No pictures), I need a hardcopy of this? As
powerful as the GS is, surely there is way to do this.
Any information would be greatly appreciated...

EW
******************Remember to Mental Floss every morning******************

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (09/11/90)

What do you mean "run" a ASCII text file?
You could exec a text file, but "run" would not work on a text file.
If you give more specific details, I am sure someone (maybe even me) could
help you.
*8) *8)

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/11/90)

Reading the previous note, i thought it sounded MUCH more like:

I have a program that creates a text only output to the screen.  Can i print
this??

As to the file translations, i have no idea.

moragues@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert A. Moragues) (09/13/90)

In article <1648@shodha.enet.dec.com> whittington@fixsr1.dec.com (Phantom) writes:
>I have an Apple GS, and some ProDOS formatted floppies I need to convert to DOS
>on an IBM compatable. Am I dreaming, but have'nt I seen some package which
>converts formats for you that runs on Apple? Also, is there a way to do a
>"print screen" to my imagewriter? What I am looking for is when I run this
>program, which is ASCII text only( No pictures), I need a hardcopy of this? As
>powerful as the GS is, surely there is way to do this.
>Any information would be greatly appreciated...

There is a program (CDA) called Print.Screen or something like that which
will allow you to print the 80 column text screen.  It is available almost
everywhere.  Let me know if you can't find it.

Bob Moragues
moragues@ccv.nersc.gov

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (09/15/90)

Phantom,

I think you're going about this ProDOS to MS-DOS the wrong way.  The .DSK is a
file extension (ie TXT, BIN, etc on ProDOS).  Several ProDOS "disk images" will
fit on one MS-DOS disk.  On the IBM it will be a "Filename.DSK".

If you don't understand what I'm saying maybe you should just quit... or maybe
not.

You need a modem or null-modem, if you have the computers close enough to
connect them directly to each other.  Null-modem would also be faster.
ProTerm can send an entire disk image to the IBM... you need to define the
file type as "Filename.DSK".  Filename will be the disk image but will appear
on the MS-DOS disk as a file.  OK that's it...

If nothing makes sense... I'm just babbling, because I haven't gotten enough to
be actually be posting this...

PS that should read "enough sleep to... etc".