[comp.sys.apple2] INTERLEAVING SOFTWARE that works with DMA SCSI card

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/16/90)

	I've had an Apple DMA SCSI Card for a few months but hadn't hooked
up a hard drive to it until tonight.. Alas, I only have the drive
for a day to play with...For probably 6 or 7 hours more now! But it might be
the one I'll get so it's sort of a learning experience.
	It's a 40 meg cartridge drive.. Actually about 42.5 total after
initialization... Well, it boots from the beep of turning on the
system to the Finder in about 30 seconds.. And this was only one of the
two interleaves that the Finder allows... (I think I chose 2 actually)
	Do people think that I can get a faster drive (especially
booting into GS/OS!) by interleaving it at different ratios than the two
the Finder allows? (2:1 and 1:1)
	Obviously many people won't read this until after I have to give
the drive back, but I am still interested in finding this interleaving
software so that when I get my OWN drive I'll have it.. I got a few
things off of 35.1.1.43 ("UT.HARD.UTILS" and "UT.SCSI.FMT".. the names
are at least close)   Neither of them worked... Actually I must
retract that.. One of them did -SOMETHING- and then gave a SCSI ERROR
28.. Then I was finally able to recognize the hard drive by something!
So then I formatted it with the Finder and partitioed it with the Advanced
Disk Utilities..
	Strange, I remember I was asked somewhere whether I wanted
inerleave 1 or 2... But neither program asks me that now when I
reformat..
	Thanks in advance...By the way, DiskTimer didn't work either.
I think that's one of the highly touted GS utilities.
	And another weird thing is that I guess I can theoretically remove
cartridges from the Finder, because when I push the 'I wanna take out the
cartridge' button on the drive, everything grays out like it should...
	And then the green light on the drive goes out... The red light
which tells when it's spinning slows down, but then flashes at a slow
constant speed.  So I guess I -can't- remove it because that can rip the heads
off the drive!  In ProDOS 8 this doesn't happen... Actually I think
it might not happen anywhere but the Finder but I haven't tested it much.
--
        /    Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu     \
        \If cartoons were for adults, they'd be on in prime time./

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/16/90)

In article <6916@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Do people think that I can get a faster drive (especially
>booting into GS/OS!) by interleaving it at different ratios than the two
>the Finder allows? (2:1 and 1:1)

I found that 1:1 interleave worked fine with the Syquest 555 drive
(which is what you seem to have).  I think it has a full-track buffer,
so that interleave is not a relevant factor.

>So then I formatted it with the Finder and partitioed it with the Advanced
>Disk Utilities..

Yes, that is the best way to initialize a Syquest on the IIGS.

>	And another weird thing is that I guess I can theoretically remove
>cartridges from the Finder, because when I push the 'I wanna take out the
>cartridge' button on the drive, everything grays out like it should...

Yes, if you're using the most recent SCSI support from Apple the Syquest
is properly handled as a removable media device.

>	And then the green light on the drive goes out... The red light
>which tells when it's spinning slows down, but then flashes at a slow
>constant speed.

The one-blink-per-second is merely GS/OS polling drive status.  It doesn't
adversely affect anything if you remove the disk at that point.

P.S.  I have one of these drives as well as an 80MB Seagate.  I like it.

AG0514@ALBNYVMS.BITNET (AppleEnthusiast) (09/16/90)

I also have a Cartridge drive with my GS and DMA SCSI.  But I have to
say that I thought it would work,  with my non-DMA ram card.  Well I sent
back the RAM card to AE 3 weeks ago and I still have not got the
upgraded card back.  If the rumors I hear are correct, that AE is going the
way of Applied Inginuity, I am royally #*$*#* (word rhymes with bucked).  BTW
my drive is an EHMAN cartridge drive.

Andrew Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@rachel.albany.edu