[comp.sys.apple2] APPLE II IN ENGLAND

L77@TAUNOS.BITNET (09/14/90)

>Does anyone know about a rumor that Apple II's are no longer being sold in
>England?  The President of a local Apple user group received a call from
>someone claiming this to be so.
>I'm not sure if this is just //e's or gs's he was talking about (or both).

INDEED!!! August Issue of Apple 2000,England's largest (only???) Apple
user-group's publication,reports under the article "Apple UK stop all
support for Apple II",that "...Apple UK recently announced to the
dealers that they were no longer supporting the (Apple II-y.n.) machines."
(p.34).

ksh@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) (09/16/90)

In article <9009141650.AA13814@apple.com>, L77@TAUNOS.BITNET writes:

|> support for Apple II",that "...Apple UK recently announced to the
|> dealers that they were no longer supporting the (Apple II-y.n.) machines."
|> (p.34).

This makes me sick. Apple's support of the Apple II has been very bad in
the UK for a long time now. Apple UK is of course part of Apple Inc., so
this action certainly gives me no comfort about Apple's plan for the II.
This would certainly seem to mean that even if a new Apple II comes out
in the States, I would not be able to get it. It is true that the Apple IIGS
has not been selling well in the UK, but I think this is largely a problem
of Apple's own making: I came to England more than 7 years ago, and judging
by my user group at that time, there were a reasonable number of Apple II
users. If Apple had marketed the GS properly, I think they could have at
least retained that user base, and probably even expanded on it.

I would like to continue to buy Apple, but if they do this to one of their
computer lines here in the UK, it really makes me feel like switching to
another computer. It certainly makes me feel bitter.

Kish Shen