    Date:  14 September 1990 12:57 edt
    From:  Vernon Williams <vw3 at CUNIXF.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU>
    Subject:  Re: .Z files and shrinkit

    There's no trick to it at all. It seems that GS ShrinkIt looks at the file
    and determines how it is archived! Pretty neat. Unfortunately, GSHK cannot
    do archiving save that which it was designed for (NuFX). Not a really big
    limitation at all though.

There must still be some kind of trick.  I just downloaded a .Z file
from a unix system using kermit.  Shrinkit 3.0.x (I forget if its 1 or 2
that I have) didn't recognize that there was any file to handle.  Do I
need to download it with some particular file type?  Or does in only
work with GS Shrinkit (I haven't bothered to capture that yet.)

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

v060q267@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David B Bandish) (09/15/90)

>There must still be some kind of trick.  I just downloaded a .Z file
>from a unix system using kermit.  Shrinkit 3.0.x (I forget if its 1 or 2
>that I have) didn't recognize that there was any file to handle.  Do I
>need to download it with some particular file type?  Or does in only
>work with GS Shrinkit (I haven't bothered to capture that yet.)
>
>TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

Shrinkit 3.X only shows NuFX files, unless you hit OA-S, at which point it shows
all files.

DB

bkahn@archive.webo.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (09/15/90)

In article <900913162235.743246@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>,
TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
|> Someone recently indicated that shrinkit can be used to uncompress
unix
|> .Z files that have been compressed with compress.  Is there any
|> particular trick to doing it?  (I haven't tried it but I thought
|> shrinkit only took files of a particular prodos filetype and
internal
|> structure.)

  Just open the .Z file as you would any other file (you may have to
toggle the show all/archives only but thats nothing).

|> Can it also be used to compress a file and produce a .Z
|> compatible file?  (The application is obvious:  decreasing the
|> communications line time for transferring large text files between a
|> unix system and an apple system.)

  Nope but you can use Andy McFaddens NuLib program (available from your
favorite
anonymous FTP site or from the archives).  A very nice program that
think
any Apple owning user shouldn't be without...

--
                                            Bruce
(bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com or

  Standard disclaimers apply, except where prohibited by law...

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (09/17/90)

Thanks to all those who told me how to uncompress unix .Z files using GS
Shrinkit -- and for prompting me to finally getting around to getting it
from the archives.  Now when I get some more time I'll have to act on
the second half of the suggestions for creating .Z files on the GS.  One
point that might be worth putting into the record:  in transferring the
.Z files from a unix system with kermit you have to remember to tell
both kermits to treat them as binary files, not text files.  It was also
a bit of a nuisance to discover that Shrinkit uncompressed the .Z file
into a ProDos BIN file (I'd rather it had come out as TXT), but since my
WordPerfect can be told to read any type file as either text or WP that
wasn't really a problem.

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil