[comp.sys.apple2] AMACS text editor? Brian Fox???

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (09/13/90)

I learned from the documentation that came with the ECP8 command
processor that a fellow named Brian Fox created an Emacs-style editor
for the Apple ][.  It's called AMACS.

I have tried to contact Mr. Fox at the address listed in the ECP8
documentation without success.

Two questions:

     1. Does anyone out there in cyberspace have a good snail-mail
	(or better, e-mail) address for Brian Fox?

     2. Has anyone used AMACS?  If so, what do you think of it?

Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett Packard Company, Open Systems Software Division
MS 48SO, 19447 Pruneridge Avenue, Cupertino CA  95014
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not my employer's.

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (09/15/90)

From ECP8 Docs, 1989:

Brian Fox
Creative Thinking, Included.
21 Commonwealth Terrace
Brookline, MA  02146

Good luck.  Please let us know what you find.

You are aware that there is a uEMACS version running on the GS aren't you?

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Acid and Flowers) (09/19/90)

Yeah.  Try bfox@ai.mit.edu or bfox@spike.ai.mit.edu

>     2. Has anyone used AMACS?  If so, what do you think of it?

It's the balls.  I am a professional Apple II programmer (consulting)
and I wouldn't use anything else.  The ProDOS 8 version is fast and
awesome.  It's better implemented than 90% of the ones I've used on
IBMs, Atari STs, Macs...

Has full filename completion, command name completion, etc.
Completely great program.  I stick it on my IIgs RAMdisk as part of
normal booting up because I always want it/need it.

(no affiliation with Fox or CTI, just a happy AMACS user.)

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | -Fight The Power- | and you need everything we make.       |

pirmann@athos.rutgers.edu (Dave Pirmann) (09/19/90)

In article <9009181816.AA12015@gaffa.MIT.EDU> jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Acid and Flowers) writes:

> >     2. Has anyone used AMACS?  If so, what do you think of it?
>
> It's the balls.  I am a professional Apple II programmer (consulting)
> and I wouldn't use anything else.  The ProDOS 8 version is fast and
> awesome.  It's better implemented than 90% of the ones I've used on
> IBMs, Atari STs, Macs...
>
> Has full filename completion, command name completion, etc.
> Completely great program.  I stick it on my IIgs RAMdisk as part of
> normal booting up because I always want it/need it.

Funny you should mention this, because today I found need for such a
beast: a plain text ascii editor which will run under ProDOS 8 on the
Apple IIe.  Where can I get this program in a hurry?  FTP site?  Mail
it to me?  Someone help?

Thanks very very much in advance...

Dave
--