[comp.sys.apple2] CMS Help!!

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (09/13/90)

Aaaaaaiiiiiggghhh!!!!!! I borrowed a friends HD (it's a CMS 30 meg SCSI drive,
about 3-4 years old, I think) and hooked it up to the Apple DMA SCSI card
in my GS (also attached to the SCSI chain is a POWERDrive 105 Meg unit,
about 3 months old. It was IIgs->CMS->POWERDrive). It was working wonderfully
last night around 1:30-2:00 AM. When I got home from school today, at about
3:00 PM, I had ceased to function!! When I turn it on it makes a high
pitched squeaking noise, the light on the front blinks 7 times, and that's
as far as it goes (I think I can also hear the heads moving about in there).
Can anyone tell me what's wrong, and what I can do to fix it?! My friend
will be mighty PO'd if I've ruined his hard drive!! :( Thanks.

Jonah

jefft@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Jeff Tarr Jr.) (09/19/90)

The flashing lights represent a control card failure.  I have had similar
circumstances many times.  Usually the 7 flashes mean the head is sticking.
You can try snapping your wrist (while holding the mechanism).  That can
unstick it.  If it doesn't, you'll need to unscrew the controller card
(slightly) and manually spin the flywheel on the drive.  That should get things
going.  From there backup all the information and get the drive repaired.
 |                                    |                             |
 |   Jeff Tarr Jr.                    |        AppleSauce BBS       |
 |   INET: jefft@gnh-applesauce       |        (212) 721-4122       |
 |   America Online: Klorn            |      ** II Infinitum! **    |
 |____________________________________|_____________________________|

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (09/19/90)

In article <0093CDDFF0C7E660.00000110@dcs.simpact.com>, jefft@gnh-applesauce (Jeff Tarr Jr.) writes:
>The flashing lights represent a control card failure.  I have had similar
>circumstances many times.  Usually the 7 flashes mean the head is sticking.
>You can try snapping your wrist (while holding the mechanism).  That can
>unstick it.  If it doesn't, you'll need to unscrew the controller card
>(slightly) and manually spin the flywheel on the drive.  That should get things
>going.  From there backup all the information and get the drive repaired.

I used to notice similar behavior with the GCC Hyperdrive FX/20 (used
the Seagate ST225N hard drive mechanism) I used to have a couple of
years ago.

I would turn it on and it wouldn't make the normal sounds of spinning
up, and them the light would flash a number of times (don't remember
how many).

I found this usually happened when the room it was in was cold.  I could
usually fix the problem by leaving the drive on for a while to warm it
up and turning it off and back on.  It seemed to me like it had a problem
with the head sticking or something, similar to the problem with
the Apple/Quantum drives and the "sticky" lubricant they used.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>