[comp.sys.apple2] AppleShare on a //gs

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (09/19/90)

Things aren't looking too good right now.

I used the Installer (yes, the Installer!  The disk was kinda dusty, but
it still went in the drive.  ;-) ) to install Appleshare and Laserwriter
onto my hard drive.  And I can pull both of them up from within the
Control Panel.  However, I get no zones or anything in the boxes for
either of them.  People with Macs in my building say everything works
for them.

I am without my manuals right now, and would appreciate anyone who's set
up //gs's onto an AppleTalk network to contact me.  I remember hearing
that there's a third system disk for the //gs which has networking stuff
on it--where can I get this?

I must be missing something obvious...

Oh yeah, this is how I selected Appletalk--I disconnected my printer
from slot 1 and put my hard drive in the actual physical slot.  I then
set slot 1 to My Card, and slot 7 to Appletalk.  Is this all I need to
do?

Does it matter what version of AppleShare the University is running if I
don't plan to boot off of it?  I know I need version 2.0 of Appleshare
if I plan to boot off of it, but to just USE it, any version is OK,
right?

Any comments are appreciated...solutions would be best, though.  :-)

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (09/20/90)

Kent,
	It looks like you've done everything correctly.  I went through the
same steps to get AppleTalk up and running on my IIgs here at CMU.
However, you may have to do one thing further, as I did - contact your
school's computing department (whoever's in charge of the network), and
ask them to turn on your AppleTalk connection.  While this is not
neccessary everywhere, it is quite possible that your school only turns
on AppleTalk connections where there is something connected.  At CMU, we
use the same wall connectors to implement AppleTalk (PhoneNet), Token
Ring, and LattisNet (ethernet), so we not only have to say we want the
outlet turned on, but also which network to use.
	As far as requiring AppleShare 2.0:  The servers may need to be running
AppleShare 2.0 for you to see them; they may not.  I don't know.
However, there are two things I do know: 1.) The server software may
affect whether and which servers you see, but not whether you see
printers and/or zones.  2.) If you want to boot off of a server, they
have to install various software, including GS/OS, on the server you
want to boot from.  The ability to boot from a server is a great idea
for classroom situations, and one that Apple was smart to build into the
IIgs (note that Mac's can't do this; there is no such thing as a
"diskless" Mac), but it is not very useful for someone in your
situation, due to confilicts that occur when several users who want
different DA's, INIT's, etc. all using essentially the same system disk.

Good luck, and enjoy what little you can get out of AppleTalk on a
mostly-Mac network :(.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

In article <2603@idunno.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:
>I used the Installer (yes, the Installer!  The disk was kinda dusty, but
>it still went in the drive.  ;-) ) to install Appleshare and Laserwriter
>onto my hard drive.  And I can pull both of them up from within the
>Control Panel.  However, I get no zones or anything in the boxes for
>either of them.  People with Macs in my building say everything works
>for them.

Try getting one of them with an easily-movable Mac to bring it to your room
to see if the physical connection is OK or if your configuration is bad.

>I am without my manuals right now, and would appreciate anyone who's set
>up //gs's onto an AppleTalk network to contact me.  I remember hearing
>that there's a third system disk for the //gs which has networking stuff
>on it--where can I get this?

The third disk is the "Apple II Setup" disk and is used to set up an AppleShare
2.0 or later server to handle Apple II booting.  If you're not running a
server, you don't need this disk.  You should be able to get it from any
Apple dealer, though.

>I must be missing something obvious...
>
>Oh yeah, this is how I selected Appletalk--I disconnected my printer
>from slot 1 and put my hard drive in the actual physical slot.  I then
>set slot 1 to My Card, and slot 7 to Appletalk.  Is this all I need to
>do?

Keep in mind that AppleTalk in slot 1 leverages off the serial firmware
and is incompatible with cards that require the use of screen holes.  For
example, you can use a Rev. C SCSI card in slot 1 with AppleTalk but not
an Apple II Memory Expansion Card.

>Does it matter what version of AppleShare the University is running if I
>don't plan to boot off of it?  I know I need version 2.0 of Appleshare
>if I plan to boot off of it, but to just USE it, any version is OK,
>right?

Wrong.  AppleShare 2.0 means AFP (AppleTalk Filing Protocol) 2.0 or later,
and *that's* what's necessary for Apple II clients.

>			Kent Dickey
>kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."