[comp.sys.apple2] 3200 color pics and the VOC

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (09/17/90)

Has anyone tried to display 3200 color pics with a video overlay card
present. I no longer have mine so I cannot try it out. I know the VOC
interferred with the video count registers so 3200 code relying on them
is potentially in danger of not working.

I want to try to get a VOC on loan for a while (again) so I can try out
320 x 400 with palette swapping => 6400 color pics. Yes, I know we only
have a palette of 4096 colors, but the principle should work.
You would need to work out of bank 0 and bank 1 on alternate vertical
blanks (to take the interlacing into account).
Does anyone know how to determine which bank ($E0 or $E1) is currently
being used for display - I need to determine this by software so that
synchronization can be achieved.

Guess I had better go looking for some flicker resistent glasses again :)

John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/18/90)

>Has anyone ever tried to display 3200 color pics with the video overlay card
>present.

Yes...  Just last night I tried it on a friends computer who had a VOC
installed and it definitely did NOT work. :(  I couldn't even tell what the
picture was supposed to be.  Do you think Apple Inc. will try to fix this
problem?  This MIGHT be a small sign of how devoted they are to the II.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

cbdougla@uokmax.uucp (Collin Broad Douglas) (09/19/90)

In article <9009181711.AA20095@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>Has anyone ever tried to display 3200 color pics with the video overlay card
>>present.
>
>Yes...  Just last night I tried it on a friends computer who had a VOC
>installed and it definitely did NOT work. :(  I couldn't even tell what the
>picture was supposed to be.  Do you think Apple Inc. will try to fix this
>problem?  This MIGHT be a small sign of how devoted they are to the II.

>|                                    |                               |
>|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
>|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
>|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
>|____________________________________|_______________________________|

  Have you tried connecting a video cable from the composite out port
  on the VOC to the sync in on the VOC?  That's how you get Fillmaze to
  work correctly.

	 Collin Douglas

	 cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (09/19/90)

In article <9009181711.AA20095@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>Has anyone ever tried to display 3200 color pics with the video overlay card
>>present.
>
>Yes...  Just last night I tried it on a friends computer who had a VOC
>installed and it definitely did NOT work. :(  I couldn't even tell what the
>picture was supposed to be.  Do you think Apple Inc. will try to fix this
>problem?  This MIGHT be a small sign of how devoted they are to the II.

That's hardly fair. The 3200 pic program uses what I imagine are non-
standard techniques to fool the GS into displaying those 3200 color pics.
If it were done using techniques OKed by Apple I would still have problems
with your "this shows how devoted they are" statement, but again they are
not so please only flame Apple when flaming is due.

[.SIG deleted]

+-------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
|Vernon Williams					| vw3@cunixf         |
|Evening Supervisor/Library Assistant			+--------------------+
|Thomas J. Watson Library of Business and Economics	| 130 Uris Hall      |

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.042211.20368@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) writes:
>In article <9009181711.AA20095@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

[Discussion of 3200 color pics on the VOC deleted...]

>That's hardly fair. The 3200 pic program uses what I imagine are non-
>standard techniques to fool the GS into displaying those 3200 color pics.

Uh uh. The techniques used to display 3200 color pics don't break any rules
(that I know of). It just has to have very precise timing, which I think the
VOC fiddles with. Having played with non-functioning 3200 color routines, I
can imagine what a 3200 color pic looks like on a VOC'ed system. Bet it's
REAL pretty, huh? :)

>|Vernon Williams					| vw3@cunixf         |

Jonah

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/20/90)

>If it were done using techniques OKed by Apple I would still have problems
>with your "this is how devoted they are" statement, but again they are
>not so please only fame Apple when flaming is due.

Whoa... WAIT a minute... First of all, that's not a flame.  I realize now,
after reading it, it slightly looks like one, but it's not.  SECOND! <--(I'm
not shouting.)  You got my quote wrong.--> "This MIGHT be a sign of how
devoted they are to the II."  They look somewhat alike, but they AREN'T alike.
You need to be VERY carful when quoting, because the slightest variation in
wording could cause problems.  What I meant by that is that I'm sure Apple
WILL fix the VOC to work with 3200 color graphics sometime in the future and
that action might show that they really are devoted to the II.  Now, I said
"MIGHT" because, that action alone doesn't really say they are devoted, but
but at least, it would be a good sign.  Thirdly, but not very importantly;
you're right, the methods these programs use don't follow Apples rules, but
it's simply because _there ARE none for 3200 color graphics_.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (09/21/90)

I publically apologize then. I read the message that started all this as
yet another attack on Apple's support (etc.)

Yes, it would be great if Apple would support 3200 color pics (which seem
vaguely analogous to the double-hi-res pics in that they seem to go beyond
the machines capabilities) Has anyone sent word to Apple that the VOC
interferes with this type of program? If not, I'd suggest that we do.

Vernon Lamont Williams             |  "All dogcows go to heaven"
Library of Business and Economics  +-------------------------------------------
Room 130 Uris Hall                 | Internet:       vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Columbia University                | America Online: Pest II, VernonW2

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/21/90)

>Has anyone sent word to Apple that the VOC interferes with this type of
>program?

I don't know if anyone has 'officially' informaed Apple of this, but I'm
sure that Matt and Dave have read these messages and know now :)