[comp.sys.apple2] software vs. softwares

lloyd@pro-grouch.cts.com (Lloyd Licht) (09/21/90)

Actually, I believe "software" is in itself a plural form.  I've never heard
the word software being used in a singular fassion unless used as "software
package".  Otherwise, you'd just say "program".

Oh well...the benefits of higher education (yeah...right).

        Lloyd

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lloyd
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lloyd@nosc.mil
INET: lloyd@pro-grouch.cts.com

DANFUZZ@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Dan Bornstein) (09/21/90)

>From:         Lloyd Licht <lloyd@PRO-GROUCH.CTS.COM>
>
>Actually, I believe "software" is in itself a plural form.  I've never heard
>the word software being used in a singular fassion unless used as "software
>package".  Otherwise, you'd just say "program".
>
>Oh well...the benefits of higher education (yeah...right).

Actually... Most people seem to use "software" as a mass noun, in the
same way that "garbage" is used. (You don't say "I have one garbage"
or "He had 3 garbages" but rather "They had some garbage" or something
along those lines...) Not that this has anything to do with Apple IIs
anymore...

Oh well...the benefits of being an undergrad in Cognitive/Linguistic
Sciences.

-dan

Bitnet:    danfuzz@brownvm
Internet:  danfuzz@brownvm.brown.edu
AppleTalk: Find me a long enough cable and I'll see what we can do.