[comp.sys.apple2] GS on Appletalk

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (09/19/90)

Princeton recently installed Appletalk connections in all the Upperclass
dorms.  I am the only //gs user allowed a connection because I begged
and pleaded and did various other things better not mentioned.  ;-)

The problem is--I'm curious what programs are capable of printing to a
laserwriter over the network.  I have Appleworks 2.0 (never got the
upgrade...)--can I somehow get that to print to a lasewriter (I see I
can check 'Imagewriter Emulator' from the Laserwriter part of the
Control Panel...so if I just print to an Imagewriter, will it work?).

The main problem is that the network doesn't seem to be working just
yet so I can't play with it myself.  Can Appleworks GS create actual
psotscript itself, or does it just send it through the Imagewriter
emulator too?

Has anyone been working on telnet over appletalk for the GS?

What steps do I need to go through to get Appleshare up and running
under ProDOS 8 (assuming I don't want to start GSOS all the time)?
I remember something about including the file ATINIT in the root
directory, but what else needs to be done?

I think that's enough disconnected comments for one post.

			Kent Dickey

In article <2594@idunno.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:
>The problem is--I'm curious what programs are capable of printing to a
>laserwriter over the network.  I have Appleworks 2.0 (never got the
>upgrade...)--can I somehow get that to print to a lasewriter (I see I
>can check 'Imagewriter Emulator' from the Laserwriter part of the
>Control Panel...so if I just print to an Imagewriter, will it work?).

The ImageWriter Emulator is a Postscript program that takes single characters
sent to an ImageWriter and transforms them into something similar to what would
be printed by an ImageWriter getting the same characters.  The LaserWriter
normally only accepts PostScript, and most 8-bit Apple II applications only
blast characters out through the "printing slot".  The Emulator (IWEM) is
the glue that makes the two work together.

>The main problem is that the network doesn't seem to be working just
>yet so I can't play with it myself.  Can Appleworks GS create actual
>psotscript itself, or does it just send it through the Imagewriter
>emulator too?

Anyone who prints through the LaserWriter driver (from the Print Manager)
is generating real PostScript.

>What steps do I need to go through to get Appleshare up and running
>under ProDOS 8 (assuming I don't want to start GSOS all the time)?
>I remember something about including the file ATINIT in the root
>directory, but what else needs to be done?

ATINIT is for 8-bit systems.  For the IIgs, the ROM patches and RAM-based
protocols for AppleTalk are in load files in the Drivers directory, and
you *must* boot GS/OS to use AppleTalk.

>I think that's enough disconnected comments for one post.

True, but you have another one coming shortly.  :)
>			Kent Dickey

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (09/20/90)

The saga continues....

Anyways, it turns out that a Micromodem II card in slot 2 was making
things act funky--so I pulled it out.  So now I get zones &
laserprinters, and can mount volumes, etc, etc, etc.

All is not well though.  I cannot copy files from the fileserver--it
seems to start reading the file from the server, but then gives me a
Error #8053 before it starts writing anything.  I can copy files TO the
fileserver just fine (and people with Macs can read them just fine).
I tried putting up a shrinkit archive of a few files and then pulled up
GS Shrinkit to unpack the archive from the fileserver.  It said the
archive was damaged, and showed me just the first file in the archive
(and refused to extract it).

After booting into GSOS, I then try starting up Appleworks 2.0 (modified
with Applied Engineering's mods for various things which I can't even
remember what they are now...sigh.)  When it's about to ask me to press
return (or spacebar--whatever the first prompt is), it dumps into the
monitor at $04/8002.  So much for printing!

Does the fact that I can get this far mean the network is AFP 2.0?  I
plan to try to find out for sure tomorrow, but a lot seems to work,
enough that it appears it HAS to be version 2.0.

In conclusion, my main concern right now is to figure out why I can't
copy files from the server...since I'd love to be able to backup my hard
drive to the server.

			Kent Dickey

In article <2650@idunno.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:

>All is not well though.  I cannot copy files from the fileserver--it
>seems to start reading the file from the server, but then gives me a
>Error #8053 before it starts writing anything.  I can copy files TO the
>fileserver just fine (and people with Macs can read them just fine).
>I tried putting up a shrinkit archive of a few files and then pulled up
>GS Shrinkit to unpack the archive from the fileserver.  It said the
>archive was damaged, and showed me just the first file in the archive
>(and refused to extract it).

This error means "parameter out of range", and I find it quite odd that
you should get it.  You might try reinstalling "AppleShare" from the 5.0.2
master disks just in case.

>After booting into GSOS, I then try starting up Appleworks 2.0 (modified
>with Applied Engineering's mods for various things which I can't even
>remember what they are now...sigh.)  When it's about to ask me to press
>return (or spacebar--whatever the first prompt is), it dumps into the
>monitor at $04/8002.  So much for printing!

Don't use AW 2.0 - it has some problems with the IIgs.  I've printed from
AW 2.1 and 3.0 to the LaserWriter Plus across from my cube for over two
years without a problem.

>Does the fact that I can get this far mean the network is AFP 2.0?  I
>plan to try to find out for sure tomorrow, but a lot seems to work,
>enough that it appears it HAS to be version 2.0.

The "network" isn't AFP anything - AFP is one of the AppleTalk protocols.
It matters if your *server* is AFP 2.0 or later, and I believe it is if you
can log onto it from an Apple II client.

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (09/22/90)

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:

>The saga continues....

>Does the fact that I can get this far mean the network is AFP 2.0?  I
>plan to try to find out for sure tomorrow, but a lot seems to work,
>enough that it appears it HAS to be version 2.0.

Yes, but not 100%

>In conclusion, my main concern right now is to figure out why I can't
>copy files from the server...since I'd love to be able to backup my hard
>drive to the server.

This sounds like the same problem someone else was having a few months
back.

There is a public domain version of AppleTalk and AFP out for UNIX machines
from the U of Michigan, I believe.  The 'C' source code is available and
it is being used at a lot of Universities. It isn't 100% perfect,
though, and has some of the glitches you refer to when used with non-Mac
machines.  That may be your problem.  I don't know if any brave soul out
there has fixed the bugs or if the guys who wrote it have, but if so,
you may be able to get your system manager to upgrade.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu