[comp.sys.apple2] Fixing Rescue Raiders, was Low blows, etc.

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (09/22/90)

In article <7083@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

> In article <90Sep20.184036edt.57412@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
> >What was Rescue Raiders anyway?  I don't ever remember seeing the
> >][e version...
>
> 	Rescue Raiders is/was probably one of the BEST games ever
> for the // (pre GS) series.. Actually it is one of the best games
> for the // series period, including the GS..  Hopefully Rescue Raiders
>         /    Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu     \
>         \If cartoons were for adults, they'd be on in prime time./

Of the dozens of games I own it's one of the few I still play. There is one
problem with it though. Whenever you get "killed" you have to start over.
This is pretty frustrating when you start getting up to levels 3 or 4 and
over. I found a fix. Use Copy //+ to sector copy it. This removes the copy
protection. Then, use sector edit to change the first byte of sector 1F 07
to 04 which restores the saved status. Now whenever you get to a new level
save the game. You can start from here on subsequent tries. I make about
six copies so that I can try a level several times without getting my
sector editor back out.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu