[comp.sys.apple2] Rastan GS!

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (09/16/90)

Well, Taito has released Rastan GS.  It's been shipping for a few weeks now.
Frankly, I'm surprised, but I'm also excited and thankful.  Taito did not
choose to continue work on Renegade (no great loss, really), yet they release
Rastan for the GS.

I have a copy already.  I barely remember the game from the arcade, but I'll
tell you that the GS version looks like a carbon copy of the arcade version.
If you thought Task Force was good, you ain't seen nuttin yet.  Smooth
scrolling, fantastic animation, stereo sound... it's got it all... and well
worth the $22 that Programs Plus is charging.  I really do hope that people
will buy this ware and not copy it and pass it out.  This is one fantastic
game.

For all of you doubters out there who thought that the Gs was dead and wasn't
good for much anything anymore:  check out Rastan and start eating your words!

"Get your hands off the wheel!  We know what happens when YOU fly." --
                                             -- Gene to Billy, "Air America"
 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|               BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|

  "Don't worry.  I crash better than anyone I know." -- Gene, "Air America"

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (09/17/90)

In article <4436@crash.cts.com> tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
>Well, Taito has released Rastan GS.  It's been shipping for a few weeks now.
>Frankly, I'm surprised, but I'm also excited and thankful.  Taito did not
>choose to continue work on Renegade (no great loss, really), yet they release
>Rastan for the GS.
>
>I have a copy already.  I barely remember the game from the arcade, but I'll
>tell you that the GS version looks like a carbon copy of the arcade version.
>If you thought Task Force was good, you ain't seen nuttin yet.  Smooth
>scrolling, fantastic animation, stereo sound... it's got it all... and well
>worth the $22 that Programs Plus is charging.  I really do hope that people
>will buy this ware and not copy it and pass it out.  This is one fantastic
>game.

  Bravo!
  I was just re-reading one of the II Infinitum letters yesterday, and I
paused at the part suggesting that users need to buy software to keep companies
interested in the II.
  So I bought Qix GS from Programs Plus for $10.  And as soon as I get my Visa
bill down a bit, I'll buy Rastan.  Even though I can get both from the guy down
the street who runs a pirate BBS.
  But I have a question for ya all.  The pirate mentality is, I think, an
adolescent mentality.  The young are easily motivated and impressionable.
Therefore, shouldn't it be possible to do SOMETHING to change these kids'
attitutes towards what most consider a crime?
  Part of the problem is that most kids don't have the money to spend on $50
video games (although new Nintendo carts can cost that much).  The high cost
of software drives the kids to pirate. And of course the software industry
blames the pirates for the high cost of software.  Somewhere, this circle
has to be broken.
  And Taito is starting to do this.  If anyone from Taito is reading this...
  BRAVO!

>For all of you doubters out there who thought that the Gs was dead and wasn't
>good for much anything anymore:  check out Rastan and start eating your words!

  Just wait till I'm done implementing Minix. Then we'll see how dead the GS is.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep16.182926.10944@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>  But I have a question for ya all.  The pirate mentality is, I think, an
>adolescent mentality.  The young are easily motivated and impressionable.
>Therefore, shouldn't it be possible to do SOMETHING to change these kids'
>attitutes towards what most consider a crime?
>  Part of the problem is that most kids don't have the money to spend on $50
>video games (although new Nintendo carts can cost that much).  The high cost
>of software drives the kids to pirate. And of course the software industry
>blames the pirates for the high cost of software.  Somewhere, this circle
>has to be broken.

I don't believe that software prices have a thing to do with it.  Pirates
often use that as an excuse, yet they pirate even inexpensive software.

I think the root of the problem is that these ethical retards were not
raised to understand that values need to be earned, and that mere desire
for something does not entitle one to it.  If you really want to improve
the situation, you should concentrate on ways to spread a rational
philosophy in place of the hodge-podge of unjustifiable notions that most
of the public hold in its place.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (09/18/90)

In article <13891@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1990Sep16.182926.10944@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>>  But I have a question for ya all.  The pirate mentality is, I think, an
>>adolescent mentality.  The young are easily motivated and impressionable.
>>Therefore, shouldn't it be possible to do SOMETHING to change these kids'
>>attitutes towards what most consider a crime?
>>  Part of the problem is that most kids don't have the money to spend on $50
>>video games (although new Nintendo carts can cost that much).  The high cost
>>of software drives the kids to pirate. And of course the software industry
>>blames the pirates for the high cost of software.  Somewhere, this circle
>>has to be broken.
>
>I don't believe that software prices have a thing to do with it.  Pirates
>often use that as an excuse, yet they pirate even inexpensive software.
>
>I think the root of the problem is that these ethical retards were not
>raised to understand that values need to be earned, and that mere desire
>for something does not entitle one to it.  If you really want to improve
>the situation, you should concentrate on ways to spread a rational
>philosophy in place of the hodge-podge of unjustifiable notions that most
>of the public hold in its place.

It seems the piracy debate has started again. This time I've got new ideas.
Doug, the software industry is doing business just like the book business.
Trouble is, the two industries are terribly different.  You can copy a megs
worth of information for 30 seconds and $0.50.  Copying a megabyte from a book
requires much more time and money (built-in copy protection?)
If the software publishers would stop worrying about traditional marketing
methods (something Apple also needs to do) they would open their eyes and
see the world's most efficient distribution network (next to Internet, of
course).  The pirate BBS's network the nation.  If _I_ were a publisher,
I'd find a way to take advantage of this to dramatically lower costs and
increase sales.

Pirate BBSs could easily be turned into big commercial ventures.  The publisher
would release its new software to the highest bidder. Anyone who wanted it
would then have to get it from the sysop for a fee.  Give them a cut of the
deal, plus whatever other enticements you can think of, and they will quickly
stop being pirates and quickly start being paid, contracted distributors.
This would work, because what do teenagers think about more than anything?
(Sex? Well, uh, yeah, but we can't mention that here-this is a family forum).
Let me spell it out for you- M O N E Y.  Entice them with money and they'll
do just about anything, especially something as simple as running a BBS.
It's the American Way in action...

Imagine how much a company could save on disk duplicating costs, manual print
jobs, etc...  The publisher can keep costs WAY WAY down and still make money.

I guarantee publisher profits would go up if they lowered their prices.

There would still be pirating, but then, no society is perfect.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
                            |                             (B O'Cult)

In article <1990Sep16.182926.10944@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>[...] Even though I can get both from the guy down
>the street who runs a pirate BBS.
>  But I have a question for ya all.  The pirate mentality is, I think, an
>adolescent mentality.  The young are easily motivated and impressionable.
>Therefore, shouldn't it be possible to do SOMETHING to change these kids'
>attitutes towards what most consider a crime?

Sure.  Take the phone number of the pirate BBS down the street and turn it
over to Taito, every other publisher whose works he has illegally for download
as well as the Software Publishing Association.

Unfortunately, nothing changes attitudes towards crime quite like punishment.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) (09/23/90)

>Just wait till I'm done implementing Minix. Then we'll see how dead the GS
is.

I remember your posts about Minix, but can't remember what it was all about.
Would you be so kind as to refresh my RAM :)
--
                                                                      /

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil