[comp.sys.apple2] A SIGN FROM APPLE!

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/15/90)

Just a note of interest to all of you Apple ][ die-hards out there--

In the October 1990 issue of A+/Incider there is a two-page letter from Apple
CEO John Sculley responding to the speculation about Apple's support of the
Apple ][ line, here are a couple of paragraphs:

"Have no doubt, Apple Computer Inc. is committed to supporting and
marketing the Apple II computer for years to come. Speculation whirling in
the marketplace about the Apple II product family has users confused about
Apple's commitment to the line....I hope to dispel concern and assure our
Apple II customers that their loyalty to Apple and it's products is warranted."

[clip a bunch of paragraphs describing the release of System 5.0, the Apple
Video Overlay Card, High Speed SCSI Card, and the guys now in charge of Apple
II product development...]

Here's the part I like most...(keep in mind, this is a letter telling us that
Apple is going to support the Apple IIgs, //e, //c!)

"Apple II customers...want their installed base of Apple IIs to operate in
concert with newer Macintosh purchases. We are currently working on a
variety of 'bridges' between the Apple II and Machintosh families to make that
synergy even better. During 1990 and 1991, Apple will introduce several new
entry-level MACHINTOSH [emphasis mine...] computers, and at least one will have
Apple II emulation capabilites..."

[flame on]

Sounds to me like he's saying "If you want to run Apple II stuff, go get one
of our new Macs, that way you can run Mac stuff too!" :-) I don't mean to
be cynical, but really.. it IS nice to know that Apple is going to continue
support for the Apple II, but doing so by introducing Macs seems a little
suspect to me. I realize the Mac is Apple's main concern (or so it seems) and
that the II line is a bit dated (NOT OBSOLETE!) but why not upgrade the IIgs
instead of spoon feeding us more Macintosh items. (How many different Macs
are on the market now? I've lost count... :-) )

[flame off]

I know I shouldn't be so harsh, after all, we've all been waiting to hear
something positive from Apple concerning the Apple ][, which I'm sure is the
aim of this letter. So basically, all I have to say to everyone is keep your
fingers crossed and hope that the software developers out there in the world
will start putting more dollars into IIgs/e/c products. Maybe a sign from Apple
is all that is needed...

      /\___________________________________________________________/\
      \//                                                         \\/
      //  Randy Vose - University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana  \\
      \\                 rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu                 //
      /\___________________________________________________________/\
      \/                                                           \/

      WARNING: For the protection of your equipment, lower levels are
               recommended for initial  playback until you're sure we
               aren't kidding.   (Warning label on Telarc DDD CD's...)

Standard disclaimers apply... after all, these are MY opinions...

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (09/16/90)

In article <139800024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

     [ this is part of a "letter" from Sculley ]
> During 1990 and 1991, Apple will introduce several new
> entry-level MACHINTOSH [emphasis mine...] computers, and at least one will have
> Apple II emulation capabilites..."

While other companies fire or even prosecute their employees for releasing
information about upcoming machines Apple makes a policy of it. Why does
Apple keep telling people that there is a better computer just around the
corner? Why would anyone buy a computer when the company is about to
release a better one? This isn't limited to the higher ups. I was in the
local dealers a few weeks ago and heard a customer ask about buying two
Apples so that she could communicate from her office to her home. The
salesperson told her that he would wait a year for the new machine which
will have better capabilities for this. My thought was "who's going to pay
your rent for the next year"? I like Apple but sometimes I thing they hired
Osborne to run marketing.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/17/90)

>"Apple II customers...want their installed base of Apple IIs to operate in
>concert with newer Macintosh purchases. We are currently working on a
>variety of 'bridges' between the Apple II and Machintosh families to make that
>synergy even better. During 1990 and 1991, Apple will introduce several new
>entry-level MACINTOSH [emphasis mine...] computers, and at least one will have
>Apple II emulation capabilites..."

This quota comes from John Sculley in a letter to A+/Incider for
October. I have an apple //gs. I want it to do and be the same thing
it is doing now, only with expanded capabilities, like graphics and
speed. I do not want a macintosh or I would have bought one. I
certainly am not going to invest in a twisted emulation. This must be
how Apple has wanted to deal with us all along. I am very
disheartened and discouraged.

What's worse is that this won't work. There exist MS/DOS cards for the
mac, but people don't buy them. They are too much trouble to get 5.25
disks to work, they aren't expandable, and some software will break. A
// emulation will be the same way. Sculley, your plan stinks from
square one. If your plan was truly to restore faith in the Apple // in
the marketplace, you would address the marketplace with advertising,
not letters addressed to a specific (and dwindling) audience that just
happens to be making the most noise.

I am very, very disappointed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (09/17/90)

In article <1938@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>In article <139800024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>     [ this is part of a "letter" from Sculley ]
>> During 1990 and 1991, Apple will introduce several new
>> entry-level MACHINTOSH [emphasis mine...] computers, and at least one will have
>> Apple II emulation capabilites..."
>
>While other companies fire or even prosecute their employees for releasing
>information about upcoming machines Apple makes a policy of it. Why does
>Apple keep telling people that there is a better computer just around the
>corner?

   Apple's policy for many years has been one of non-disclosure, for the
reason below and because of "vaporware" scares.  Perhaps Sculley has a plot?

>        Why would anyone buy a computer when the company is about to
>release a better one?

   Ahem... PURELY CONJECTURE here... perhaps Sculley WANTS that effect, maybe
he wants people to not buy Apple ][s. "Here, see what's coming?  Just wait
a bit and you can buy a <dah dah dah dum!> Macintosh! Aren't you thrilled?"

>                      This isn't limited to the higher ups. I was in the
>local dealers a few weeks ago and heard a customer ask about buying two
>Apples so that she could communicate from her office to her home. The
>salesperson told her that he would wait a year for the new machine which
>will have better capabilities for this. My thought was "who's going to pay
>your rent for the next year"? I like Apple but sometimes I thing they hired
>Osborne to run marketing.

   Fruits do come in many flavors... Apple, Osborne, Boy George...
(please, Take it for what it is, a little poor humor!)
   Seriously, I can't figure those marketing boys out.  It's almost as if
the Mac people think they're selling little bits of heaven.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (09/23/90)

In article <1990Sep17.160711.13301@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:

>   Fruits do come in many flavors... Apple, Osborne, Boy George...
> (please, Take it for what it is, a little poor humor!)
>    Seriously, I can't figure those marketing boys out.  It's almost as if
> the Mac people think they're selling little bits of heaven.

Naaahhhh, they're not even close!

I've only seen little bits of heaven in one place...

Hanging from the musculature of Rubenesque women, oscillating with
wild abandon.

And their price can't be beat: good loving in daily installments. ;)

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "Fat and steel: two mortal enemies locked in deadly combat."