[comp.sys.apple2] Super Serial vrs internal gs serial port

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (09/19/90)

My current setup:

Apple ][gs

10 MB Sider in slot 7
2 3.5 floppys  and 1 5.25 floppys using builtin interface on slots 5 and 6
AE cpm in slot 4 (currently turned off... using mouse)
builtin video in slot 3
Super serial card in slot 2  used for local terminal using Snowterm
Builtin serial card in slot 2 used for modem at 2400 baud
(used for America On Line)

imagewriter ][ hooked up to builtin printer port at slot 1

Two problems:

I have tried using the super serial card at baud rates higher than 2400
without success.  I am using software called Snowterm  and it seems that
2400 is as fast as I can go without losing characters.
Anyone know if the super serial card has problems with higher baud rates.
If I use the builtin port can I expect to go beyond 2400? (Interrupts are
already turned on on the super serial card).

Also I have recieved an "unexpected interrupt" error from gsos when trying
to save downloaded text.

Anybody out there run into this?

--
George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (09/23/90)

>Anyone know if the super serial card has problems with higher baud
>rates.  If I use the builtin port can I expect to go beyond 2400?
>(Interrupts are already turned on on the super serial card).

First of all, I don't understand why you are bothering with a Super
Serial Card.  why not just put a switch box on port 2 so you can
switch between the two connections.  That's what I do and it
certainly is quicker than going to the control panel to switch
between modem port and your card.  I assume you are using your
printer port for a printer or appleshare, but if you're not, you
could put one connection on the printer port and set the control
panel for a modem of course.

I tried a Super Serial Card in a IIgs, because a person wanted to
use an old comm program that did not work with the built-in port.
The program worked with the SSC in the IIgs, but not at 9600 or
19200 baud.  The reason for this is that the higher speeds require
interupts to be enabled on the SSC, but my GS would not work properly
(or was it that it wouldn't work at all?  - can't remember) with
interupts turned on.  I showed this person that Kermit and Procomm
worked at 9600 or 19200 baud on the built-in port, so he was
convinced the extra speed was worth learning a new program.

You say that you have interupts enabled on your SSC.  This sounds
questionable.  Are you sure?  What ROM version do you have.  I have
the second ROM (ie.  the one that displays ROM 01, not the original
old ROM.)

For a switch box, you could use either a DB25 type or a mini DIN 8
type (sold as Mac switch boxes) depending on your cable setup.

Les Ferch
Computing Services
University of British Columbia

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (09/24/90)

You can use a super serial card with interrupts on a IIgs or //e or whatever
but the software has to handle the interrupts properly.  My own program Talk
is Cheap can enable the super serial card at up to 19,200 baud but the actual
throughput is limited to around 9000 baud or so due to lack of CPU speed to
handle faster with much useful work being done between characters receieved.
Software that doesn't follow the rules regarding installation of interrupt
handlers and so forth (which includes most other Apple // telecom packages)
will cause trouble on the IIgs though, particularly if AppleTalk is enabled so
you have to know about the particular software in use to know if you'll be
able to use interrupts on the IIgs for telecom.

UUCP: [ ucsd nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton          MCI: delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil                CIS: 72010,37
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com                       AOL: delton

pro-carolina [300-2400 baud] 803-776-3936, login: register

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (09/24/90)

>Software that doesn't follow the rules regarding installation of interrupt
>handlers and so forth (which includes most other Apple // telecom packages)
>will cause trouble on the IIgs though, particularly if AppleTalk is enabled so
>you have to know about the particular software in use to know if you'll be
>able to use interrupts on the IIgs for telecom.

Oh yeah, that was it.  I always have appletalk enabled so that must be why
my GS went crazy when I tried an SSC with interupts enabled.