[comp.sys.apple2] Proline

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (09/24/90)

In article <7085@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
writes:

>In article <1990Sep22.055242.20803@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.
uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) writes:

>>>Or where are the Apple II programmers working on networking?  TCP/IP?  I
>>>know folks who are working on this for the Amiga.  Or how about having
>>ever heard of ProLine?
>
>	I will first say that I am now about to speak about something
>I know virtually nothing about. I realize it's not a very smart thing
>to do, but I'm an adult.. (Children, don't try this at home!)
>
>	Isn't TCP/IP related to UUCP? If I'm even correct that they
>have something to do with each other, then I think I have something to say
>about this..
>
>	ProLine does not use UUCP. From what I understand, all messages
>run through some gateway machine that runs both UUCP and whatever
>(proprietary?) standard that Morgan Davis's using in ProLine.
>
>	What I am interested in is true UUCP so that I could get
>permission from my school (I'm not saying they'd even do it, I just
>mean theoretically) and get my own newsfeed from the UNIX machine I have
>an account on. This would be for a BBS or something.
>
>	One question about ProLine that I have is this though: Does every
>ProLine site in the country have to call up that one gateway (thus
>messages get out/in daily or hourly or whatever but potentially HUGE phone
>bills) or do messages 'jump' from one node to the next (thus possibly
>days or WEEKS until a message gets out/in)???
>--
>        /    Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu     \
>        \If cartoons were for adults, they'd be on in prime time./

   I just assumed that ProLINE allowed you to call the local Internet port
   and send messages that way.  I really don't know though.  Can someone
   help us here?

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (09/25/90)

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) writes:
>In article <7085@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
>writes:
>>	Isn't TCP/IP related to UUCP? If I'm even correct that they
>>have something to do with each other, then I think I have something to say
>>about this..

TCP/IP is separate from UUCP.  TCP/IP is the protocol that is used to talk to
machines over the Internet.  It's used primarily on machines connected over
ethernet.  UUCP (unix to unix copy program?) was a protocol used to make
connections between two UNIX machines (usually over phone lines) and transfer
data between each other.

I THINK (I'm not totally sure on this one) that UUCP for the Apple // line is
close to impossible with real UUCP because of the amount of data being passed
or the rate that the data is being passed (it wouldn't be able to keep up).

Just for reference, a full feed USEnet connection would take up around 400MB
in disk space.  On top of that, you'd probably need the programs to deal
with news and email, plus space for email and your personal files.  If you
go for a partial feed, you should select carefully (look to news.lists for
a regular message about the amount of traffic generated by each group at
uunet for the past two weeks or past month).  I believe we expire messages
around 7 days after they arrive (maybe less) and keeping messages around
will chew into the space you might not have.

Bob
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!
Bitnet:    kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.bitnet    | - My Life with the Thrill Kill
UUCP:  ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!chsun1!kusumoto  |   Kult, "Kooler than Jesus"