[comp.sys.apple2] Shrinkit GS

AGRDEN@latvax8.lat.oz (07/12/90)

Could someone please post Shrinkit GS to Comp.Binaries.apple2

Thanks

mrharrison@lion.waterloo.edu (Mike Harrison) (07/18/90)

Could someone please post parts 4 and 5 of Shrinkit GS on comp.binaries.apple2?
They didn't make it to our site.

Thanks

Mike
--
Mike Harrison                | "...because they drink a lot in Hamburg, and at
mrharrison@lion.uwaterloo.ca |  night, you can skate home in other people's

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (07/31/90)

When ShrinkIt GS appeared on comp.binaries.apple2, I only saw part 2 of 5.
I'm not sure what caused the others to escape my system.  Could someone
re-post ShrinkIt GS (the latest version)?  Thanks!
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
bungia!marilyn!shawn     {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) (08/09/90)

ok.. if these problems have already been pointed out, I'm sorry... if not could
someone make sure this gets to the author...

problems I've discovered using Shrinkit GS:

   * there is an error in the coding of the uncompress routines that causes it
     to incorrectly report a corrupted archive when unpacking large files or
     disks that were very full

   * there is a user interface design flaw in the delete dialog... delete
     should not be the default option, or if a folder is selected for delete
     the user should be propted for confirmation... this flaw enabled me to
     accidentally delete nearly 7 Meg of archives

   * there is a possible error in the delete routines themselves.. this is
     related to the above problem... when I exited Shrinkit GS to exhume my
     files I discovered, much to my disapointment, that they were in some way
     deleted incorrectly... and, thus, none of them could be recovered... the
     error lies somewhere in the code to flip the halfs of the key blocks...

Other information:

   just in case these errors are not universal this is my system configuration:
      * Apple IIgs - ROM 3
      * 3.125 Meg Ram
      * 209Meg SCSI HD (6 32Meg partitions, the rest in the 7th)
      * Apple HS SCSI DMA controler

   nothing else attached to my system should be effecting this...
--

                                   -Cary
                                   (.sig pending)

bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (08/09/90)

In article <SANDVIG.90Aug8152250@poincare.geom.umn.edu>,
sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) writes:
|> [...]
|> problems I've discovered using Shrinkit GS:
|>
|>    * there is an error in the coding of the uncompress routines that
causes it
|>      to incorrectly report a corrupted archive when unpacking large files or
|>      disks that were very full

  Could you pls explain the details of this a bit further.  What do you mean by
'large files' or 'very full'.  Can you tell me what you were unpacking or the
size of the files/disks?  Andy cant be expected to fix something w/o having a
better idea of what may be wrong or where to start...

|>    * there is a user interface design flaw in the delete dialog... delete
|>      should not be the default option, or if a folder is selected for delete
|>      the user should be propted for confirmation... this flaw enabled me to
|>      accidentally delete nearly 7 Meg of archives

  Ill pass this along.  I could be wrong but I dont recall any exact
requirements
on what defaults to use for the delete screen.  Some programs Ive seen have
'Delete' as the default, others have 'Dont Delete'.  Ill poke around the
HIG some more...

|>    * there is a possible error in the delete routines themselves.. this is
|>      related to the above problem... when I exited Shrinkit GS to exhume my
|>      files I discovered, much to my disapointment, that they were in
some way
|>      deleted incorrectly... and, thus, none of them could be
recovered... the
|>      error lies somewhere in the code to flip the halfs of the key blocks...

  What did you use to try and recover the deleted files?  What happened when
you tried to recover the data?  Keep in mind that if you did any writes to
the disks between deletes then you may not be able to recover the
deleted files!

|> Other information:
|>
|>    just in case these errors are not universal this is my system
configuration:
|>       * Apple IIgs - ROM 3
|>       * 3.125 Meg Ram
|>       * 209Meg SCSI HD (6 32Meg partitions, the rest in the 7th)
|>       * Apple HS SCSI DMA controler
|>
|>    nothing else attached to my system should be effecting this...
|> --
|>
|>                                    -Cary
|>                                    (.sig pending)

  If you can post some more information Ill relay it to Andy and post any

						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com)

shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com (Andy Nicholas) (08/13/90)

> * there is an error in the coding of the uncompress routines that causes it
>   to incorrectly report a corrupted archive when unpacking large files or
>   disks that were very full

I often have fits about messages like this mainly because there isn't enough
information here to get a handle on what's going wrong.  It would be better
for you to mail me an archive on which this happens, or better yet, do what
dennis doms did when we were bug hunting at KC and build me a system disk that
causes the error or always happen, put both the system disk and the archive
which makes it go boom in the mail and mail it to me with an explanation.

Stuff like this makes it next to impossible to try to fix something.  If you
want to gripe, fine, but at least try to help me fix it! :-)

> * there is a user interface design flaw in the delete dialog... delete
>   should not be the default option, or if a folder is selected for delete
>   the user should be propted for confirmation... this flaw enabled me to
>   accidentally delete nearly 7 Meg of archives

Well, maybe.  Some of the guys at Apple DTS (I won't name names) think that
the UI in the delete dialog is fine.  Others (I have heard) in DTS don't feel
that the delete dialog is a good thing.  I felt it was kind of straightforward
and honest.  Clicking "delete" does exactly that.  I can't hold your hand via
the dialogs every step of the way -- to a certain extent I do also use GSHK
and often try to streamline the way it's put together. (ie, I don't like
excess dialogs).

> there is a possible error in the delete routines themselves.. this is
> related to the above problem... when I exited Shrinkit GS to exhume my
> files I discovered, much to my disapointment, that they were in some way
> deleted incorrectly... and, thus, none of them could be recovered... the
> error lies somewhere in the code to flip the halfs of the key blocks...

I don't do the deleting, GSOS does.  If there's a problem, I suspect it
lies someplace either in the OS or what you expect of the OS.  GSHK just
uses the class 1 _Destroy call.

----

I'll be using this account about once a week.  please don't email me anything
huge (like large archives... use the usmail) as I won't be on that often.

andy

shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com

PROLINE: pro-novapple!shrinkit
UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit
ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!shrinkit@nosc.mil
INET: shrinkit@pro-novapple.cts.com

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (08/15/90)

Welcome back to the net Andy.. Good to see you back online, even if
only once a week..
--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

r.levy@cooper.cooper.EDU (Rami Levy ) (09/25/90)

Can anyone tell me where I can download a copy of ShrinkIt GS from?
(Or even a more recent version of ShrinkIt than 3.0.1?)

	Thanks in advance.
				Rami
please respond to:
r.levy@marvin.cooper.edu