[comp.sys.apple2] Tape Backup

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/20/90)

Is there a way to hook up a tape backup unit to the SCSI on an Apple GS?
And is there backup software and drivers that'll support Resource forks?

Thanks

Mark Steiger

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (09/21/90)

I tried to reply to these articles by email, but they bounced so I'm
posting them here.  Besides, this info might be of interest to others.

In article <0093CFC26A0B58C0.00000110@dcs.simpact.com>, penguin@gnh-igloo (Mark Steiger) writes:
>Is there a way to hook up a tape backup unit to the SCSI on an Apple GS?
>And is there backup software and drivers that'll support Resource forks?

Yes there is.  I have a homebrew 3M SCSI tape drive hooked up to my IIGS
right now.  I also believe that Tulin sells a tape drive unit as well
that uses a TEAC tape drive mechanism.

For software, I'm currently using a freeware version that I got off of
Genie that does image backups of hard drive volumes to the tape drive.

Another source is Tim Grams.  He sells HDTape ($35) which does image
backups, and will soon be releasing GSTape ($45) which will do image
and file backups plus a whole number of other features.

     Tim Grams
     P.O. Box 462283
     Garland, TX 75046

When ordering, specify HDTAPE or GSTape, computer type being used, and 3.5 or
5.25 disk.  Checks or money orders (made payable to Tim) are accepted.

You can also reach Tim on America Online (TimGrams) or on the WTC BBS
(201) 689-3649 (Timg).

In article <0093CFC2745810C0.00000110@dcs.simpact.com>, penguin@gnh-igloo (Mark Steiger) writes:
>I found a place that was selling an Apple 40 meg tape backup unit.  They,
>however, don't have the software or the manuals (It's used).  Is there a way I
>can buy these from Apple or another source?

Tim Grams software will work with Apple Tape Backup since Apple uses the
3M Tape drive.  The only Apple software available is for the Mac.

As far as a manual, all you need to know to hook it up is to set the Tape
Drives SCSI id to 0 (it probably comes already set to 0) and place it
at the end of the SCSI chain.  You will also need to install an Apple
external SCSI terminator on one of the tape drive SCSI ports.

The tape drive specs are as follows:

Apple Tape Backup 40SC: Spec Sheet

Following are the specifications for the Apple Tape Backup 40SC
(part # M2640):

I.  GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
    A. Storage Media
       1. Type: 0.25-inch magnetic tape cartridge (DC 2000)
       2. Length: 205 ft (62.5 meters)
       3. Width: 0.25 in (6.35 mm)
       4. Lifespan: 5,000 passes
    B. Data Capacity
       1. Total capacity: 38.5 MB
       2. Encoding method: GCR (Group Code Recording)
       3. Flux density: 12,500 ftpi
       4. Bit density: 10,000 bpi (GCR)
       5. Block size: 8192 bytes (8320 w/ 128 bytes of system data
          appended)
       6. Number of tracks: 24 serpentine
       7. Track width:  8 mils (.020 mm) write
                        5 mils (.0125 mm) read
                       10 mils (.025 mm) spacing
    C. Speed and Timing
       1. Tape speed: 60 ips R/W; 90 ips search/rewind
       2. Drive data transfer rate: 600 Kb/s noninterleaved (uncorrected
          raw); 400 Kb/s noninterleaved (fully corrected)
       3. SCSI data transfer rate:
             --avg. for continuous tape motion: 21.3 Kb/s corrected,
                  noninterleaved
             --maximum burst rate: 500 Kb/s
       4. Rewind time: 27 seconds, end-to-end (nominal)
       5. Start/Stop time: 150 ms (nominal)
       6. R/W head position time: 250 ms track-to-track
II. MECHANICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    A. Dimensions
       1. Height: 3.07 in (78 mm)
       2. Width: 9.7 in (246 mm)
       3. Depth: 10.5 in (266 mm)
       4. Weight: 7.3 lb (3.3 Kg)
    B. Temperature
       1. Operating: 5 to 45 deg C (cartridge limited)
       2. Shipping/Storage: - 40 to 65 deg C (hardware only)
    C. Humidity
       1. Operating: 20 to 80%  (noncondensing)
    D. Altitude
       1. Operating: tested to 15,000 ft
       2. Non-Operating: tested to 50,000 ft
III. ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS
     A. Input power
        1. Line voltage: 85 to 270 VAC, 47 to 64 Hz
        2. Power dissipation: 15W
     B. Data interface: Two 50-pin SCSI ports

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/25/90)

I was wondering, Does this backup program you are using support the DMA card?
If so, could you post it on Binaries?

Thanks.

Mark

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (09/25/90)

In article <0093D3A092F62760.00000110@dcs.simpact.com>, penguin@gnh-igloo (Mark Steiger) writes:
>I was wondering, Does this backup program you are using support the DMA card?
>If so, could you post it on Binaries?

Mark,

I'm not sure if the freeware tape backup program I have works with
the DMA SCSI or not.  It was posted to comp.binariea.apple2 about
3 weeks ago. If you want to try it out it should be available
at the comp.binaries.apple2 archive ( wuarchive.wustl.edu ) by
anonymous ftp.  If you can't get it there, let me know and I'll
send you a copy via email.

Ray

P.S. - Mark, do you have a net address other than penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com?
I originally tried to email this to you but it bounced (again).