[comp.sys.apple2] Hewlett Packard Laserjet IIP and my GS!

ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) (09/26/90)

It's relatively inexpensive!

It's 300 DOTS PER INCH!

It's LASER PRINTING and it's on my GS!

I just purchased a LaserJet IIP for my Apple IIGS. And I'm COMPLETELY
impressed (couldn't be more impressed) and thrilled with the results.

Thanks to Vitesse Inc, the famed makers of SALVATION, WINGS, EXORCISOR,
and other such wares, and Bill Heineman, I've been printing laser-style
without AppleTalk, without $3000 LaserWriters, and without hassle.

***** THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT! *****

----However, (there's always a mold growing somewhere underneath)

  I seem to be having trouble printing full-page graphics, and it seems
to be having a LITTLE trouble bit-mapping the fonts it isn't used to.

------ Is there someone out there with experience in HP/GS technology?

I'd like any and all information on how to improve my relations with this
printer, and get some serious fonts printing.  Will I need the postscript
cartridge?  Or just more memory (I'm at 512 now)

GS USERS! This is an important step! With affordable laser-printing available
to the GS, we could be doing some amazing Desktop Publishing...

Even more affordable is the ink jet printers. We're all set. But to get
the graphics working properly! Help!

[   Jay Adelson          ]                   [   T.G.C.                       ]
[   ghost@bucsf.bu.edu   ]                   [   1039 Commonwealth Ave. #18   ]
[   J.ADELSON1 (GEnie)   ]                   [   Boston, MA. 02215-1008       ]

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/26/90)

In article <GHOST.90Sep25200421@bucsf.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) writes:

[stuff re the GS and the HP LaserjetIIP]>

>Thanks to Vitesse Inc, the famed makers of SALVATION, WINGS, EXORCISOR,
>and other such wares, and Bill Heineman, I've been printing laser-style
>without AppleTalk, without $3000 LaserWriters, and without hassle.

It's about time we get some positive messages on here. Nice to see
someone appreciating the GS community instead of wishing they were
elsewhere.>

>  I seem to be having trouble printing full-page graphics, and it seems
>to be having a LITTLE trouble bit-mapping the fonts it isn't used to.

The full page graphics problem is probably due to the lack of memory
which the IIP comes with. Try printing at 150 dots/in and see what happens.
In any case, to get full page graphics at 300 dots/in will simply require
buying more memory for the IIP. The Deskjet+ just not have that problem.
The only use for more memory there would be for downloading fonts. The
new Deskjet comes with more fonts,etc...Do the Vitesse drivers support
the Paintjet?

>GS USERS! This is an important step! With affordable laser-printing available
>to the GS, we could be doing some amazing Desktop Publishing...
>
>Even more affordable is the ink jet printers. We're all set. But to get
>the graphics working properly! Help!

You're right on with the importance of these drivers. The future is looking
better every day.The graphics issue is simply memory related( on the lasers).

What would be nice is a version of SendPS for the GS for those who do opt
for Postscript( not a requirement to do interesting things). This is a
utility to send a Postscript file through a serial/Appletalk port.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]