[comp.sys.apple2] 5.0.3 announcement date?

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (09/26/90)

I'm feeling a bit cynical, so I'll venture a guess...

    Just watch.  Apple's gonna release the new System Software 5.0.3
on the same date as they release the new Macs.  That way, they can
"claim" that they're supporting both families during national press
coverage.  Sculley will make some insignificant statements about
Apple's desire to reach out to their customers and provide them with
what they wanted.  There will be lots of smiles.

                Oh, jolly.

[For those of you don't know, I'm not an insider.  This is pure
 speculation and has no factual basis.]

    Todd A. Bakal                                All snappy sayings aside,
    U of M Apple User's Group                    !Index will be updated
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          ASAP or my name's not...

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
              Tab@terminator.cc.umich.edu             35.1.1.43   (PC5:)
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal      BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/27/90)

In article <6132668@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>I'm feeling a bit cynical, so I'll venture a guess...

I'm permanently that way.  This is exactly why.

>    Just watch.  Apple's gonna release the new System Software 5.0.3
>on the same date as they release the new Macs.  That way, they can
>"claim" that they're supporting both families during national press
>coverage.  Sculley will make some insignificant statements about
>Apple's desire to reach out to their customers and provide them with
>what they wanted.  There will be lots of smiles.

You forgot "...demonstrating Apple's continuing commitment to [shoveling
BS on all the Apple II users]".

Every product annonuncement since Apple II users started screaming about
support from Apple has emphasized Apple's commitment to us.  And kept us
holding on for another six months or a year (remember Scully's "a new
CPU within 12 months" statement at AppleFest?  Whoopie, a ROM 03 that
can't be upgraded to).

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden