[comp.sys.apple2] ProDOS CD

jlai@pro-carolina.cts.com (Jack Lai) (09/09/90)

>Has anybody written a decent CD for basic.system yet? I'm sick of PREFIX.
>Maybe I should get off my duff and write one after Turbo Binscii is finished.
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu
I think I might have a P8 program you could use (or anyone else for that
matter:), I wrote it because I use IBM compatible's at work (among other
things) and got tired of coming home and getting "SYNTAX ERROR" every time I
tried to use an MS-DOS command.  I called it "MeSsyDOS".  It has the following
commands now, and eventually I plan to add more (when I have time!) CLS, CD,
DIR, ONLINE, HELP (a one-page help screen for ProDOS illiterate's :).
_Please_
E-Mail any responses to one of the addresses below.  Latas, Jack S. Lai
Proline: jlai@pro-carolina | America OL: jlai|"A ship in the harbor is safe, |
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-carolina!jlai         |but that is not what ships were|
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-carolina!jlai@nosc.mil|made for..." - ADM Grace Hooper|
INET: jlai@pro-carolina.cts.com              |Disclaimer: Not resposible...:)|
Voice: (804) 420-3211    USPS: 1713-N Birch Trail Circle, Chesapeake VA 23320|
============== You think <insert language> is bad, try NELIAC! ==============

Mike Aos <UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET> (09/09/90)

In article <1990Sep8.230544.28819@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) says:

>>>Has anybody written a decent CD for basic.system yet? I'm sick of PREFIX.
>>>Maybe I should get off my duff and write one after Turbo Binscii is finished.
>>>
>>>Todd Whitesel
>>>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu
>
>There was a commercial program called "Command.Com" put out by the same
>folks that did Pinpoint. It made the II think it was running messy dos
>and accepted most if not all of its commands such as cd, copy a to b, dir,
>etc.. I think the author was Brian Skuba (sp?).. The company is gone, but
>perhaps you might an unsold copy somewhere.
>--
>   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

Command.Com lets you do quite a bit.  It also has a UNIX command set, and I
think another one (they are called environments).  I used to use the program
a lot, and I still think it's as good (if not better) than Davex.
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (09/09/90)

>>Has anybody written a decent CD for basic.system yet? I'm sick of PREFIX.
>>Maybe I should get off my duff and write one after Turbo Binscii is finished.
>>
>>Todd Whitesel
>>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

There was a commercial program called "Command.Com" put out by the same
folks that did Pinpoint. It made the II think it was running messy dos
and accepted most if not all of its commands such as cd, copy a to b, dir,
etc.. I think the author was Brian Skuba (sp?).. The company is gone, but
perhaps you might an unsold copy somewhere.
--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

jschober@gnh-starport.cts.com (Joey Schober) (09/11/90)

Nope, COMMAND.COM was written by Dave Sugar.  I'm afraid I'm not sure what
happened to it after Pinpoint dropped out of the Apple II world, but you can
get in touch with Dave on America Online: send mail to [AFL DYFET].  I believe
{backbone}!killer!igloo!mycroft!manager is also a valid UUCP path to him, but
don't quote me on that.

     Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400 baud]

ProLine.: jschober@gnh-starport                          ======================
UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!jschober                    Amer-Online:  JSchober
InterNet: jschober@gnh-starport.cts.com                  CompuServe: 72727,2765
ARPA....: crash!gnh-starport!jschober@nosc.mil           ======================

jlai@pro-carolina.cts.com (Jack Lai) (09/17/90)

Howzit!

        For all you people interested in the MeSsyDOS program, I uploaded it
to Pro-Corolina (803) 776-3976 and America Online.  Sorry, I cannot U/L it
directly to COMP.BINARIES.APPLE2. I would appreciate someone doing so for me
though.  Mahalo.

        MeSsyDOS v1.1 will add the MS-DOS commands CD, CLS, & DIR.  Plus a
single page HELP screen, and an ONLINE (Physical & Logical) function.

        Please E-Mail any comments to the address below.

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (09/22/90)

>>Has anybody written a decent CD for basic.system yet? I'm sick of PREFIX.
>>Maybe I should get off my duff and write one after Turbo Binscii is
finished.

>>Todd Whitesel
>>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

>There was a commercial program called "Command.Com" put out by the same
>folks that did Pinpoint. It made the II think it was running messy dos
>and accepted most if not all of its commands such as cd, copy a to b, dir,
>etc.. I think the author was Brian Skuba (sp?).. The company is gone, but
>perhaps you might an unsold copy somewhere.
>--
>   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

I have an old copy of "Command.Com".  It was written by Les Kay and David
Sugar.  I don't know if it is or isn't public domain.  I don't even know if
Pinpoint exists anymore (done in by Beagle Bros. TO Series I would guess).
If I find that the software is no longer copyrighted I will send a copy to
requestees.
--
                                                                      /
                                                       \             / /

cse0507@desire.wright.edu (09/23/90)

> I have an old copy of "Command.Com".  It was written by Les Kay and David
> Sugar.  I don't know if it is or isn't public domain.  I don't even know if
> Pinpoint exists anymore (done in by Beagle Bros. TO Series I would guess).
> If I find that the software is no longer copyrighted I will send a copy to
> requestees.

From what I understand, copyrights never die, only patents. Hence Gone With the
Wind is still copywritten. It also depends on who did the copyright. If an
individual owns the rights, they could have sold them to someone else, but if
that other party dissapears (such as a defunct company) then the rights of that
company to produce the software could revert back to the individual(s).
Actually, the idea of copyrights is to protect artistic expression, so even if
there is no mention of copyrights on the literature or software, it is still
copywritten automaticly, just not registered. It really gets kind of confusing,
so the best bet would be to contact the parties involved and get word direct
rather than wait until somebody traces the copying of materials they have the
copy right to back to you.

adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com (Adam Robey) (09/25/90)

No, a copyright expires eventually. (It just takes longer than a patent ;).)
-AMR
| PROLINE: pro-novapple!adamr             | UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!adamr    |
| ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!adamr@nosc.mil | INET: adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com  |

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/25/90)

There is a program called "MeSsyDOS" on America ONline that adds the CD,MD, and
DIR commands.  It's a small INIT.

Mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/26/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 25-Sep-90 Re: ProDOS CD (Prefix)
> Mark Steiger@gnh-igloo.c (510)

> There is a program called "MeSsyDOS" on America ONline that adds the
> CD,MD, and
> DIR commands.  It's a small INIT.

> Mark

>      [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400
> baud]

Could it be posted to an FTP site, or to comp.binaries.apple2?

Thanks!

|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |    Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |     Software|   opinions, alone.     |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|             |     Ya Gotta Love It.  |

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/27/90)

Copyrights take about 100 years to expire, as I recall, patents are gone
in 18 years.