[comp.sys.apple2] sticking with apple -> Nexts

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/17/90)

Collin Douglas writes:

The NeXT wasn't designed for desktop use.  At least, not your 'normal'
desktop.  Who really needs a 25 Mhz desktop machine unless you are doing
some REALLY heavy duty stuff.

The NeXT is designed to be a low cost, highly graphically oriented
machine capable of operating as a Unix workstation over a distributed
filing system.  It is also aimed as a competitor against the Mac // line
as a high end "personal" (or "desktop", if you like) computer.  It is a
very powerful machine that is really nice to work with.

-- Charles William Swiger
    cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/29/90)

In article <0ax1lv600VpeBXDl9e@andrew.cmu.edu> cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) writes:
-Collin Douglas writes:
-The NeXT wasn't designed for desktop use.  At least, not your 'normal'
-desktop.  Who really needs a 25 Mhz desktop machine unless you are doing
-some REALLY heavy duty stuff.
-The NeXT is designed to be a low cost, highly graphically oriented
-machine capable of operating as a Unix workstation over a distributed
-filing system.  It is also aimed as a competitor against the Mac // line
-as a high end "personal" (or "desktop", if you like) computer.  It is a
-very powerful machine that is really nice to work with.

I know from personal experience that professional engineers find the
NeXT very appealing.  Note that you need all the CPU power you can get
in order to support high-resolution color-graphics user interfaces.
We use comparable (actually graphically superior) products (SGI Iris
4Ds), and there are times when even they aren't responding fast enough
to keep up with the user's pace of working.

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (09/29/90)

In article <13960@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <0ax1lv600VpeBXDl9e@andrew.cmu.edu> cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) writes:
>-Collin Douglas writes:
>-The NeXT wasn't designed for desktop use.  At least, not your 'normal'
>-desktop.  Who really needs a 25 Mhz desktop machine unless you are doing
>-some REALLY heavy duty stuff.
>-The NeXT is designed to be a low cost, highly graphically oriented
>-machine capable of operating as a Unix workstation over a distributed
>-filing system.  It is also aimed as a competitor against the Mac // line
>-as a high end "personal" (or "desktop", if you like) computer.  It is a
>-very powerful machine that is really nice to work with.
>
>I know from personal experience that professional engineers find the
>NeXT very appealing.  Note that you need all the CPU power you can get
>in order to support high-resolution color-graphics user interfaces.
>We use comparable (actually graphically superior) products (SGI Iris
>4Ds), and there are times when even they aren't responding fast enough
>to keep up with the user's pace of working.

  That's what I call an abnormal desktop though.  I'd personally LOVE to have
  a workstation on my desk but then again, I plan to be a professional
  engineer  :)

	 Collin Douglas

	 cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

  actually, I'd rathar have an HP/Apollo DN 10000.