[comp.sys.apple2] 2 ?'s about ProDOS 8...

bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) (09/27/90)

1.     To the best of my knowledge, ProDOS 8 is capable of handling
       volumes up to 32 Mb.  Is it possible to format a 40 Mb drive so that
       there are 2 20 Mb volumes?

2.     Is there a version of ProDOS 8 that can handle larger volumes?

--

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca       (Please Note the Lower case!!)

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (09/29/90)

bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) writes:

>1.     To the best of my knowledge, ProDOS 8 is capable of handling
>       volumes up to 32 Mb.  Is it possible to format a 40 Mb drive so that
>       there are 2 20 Mb volumes?

Yes, so far as I know.

>2.     Is there a version of ProDOS 8 that can handle larger volumes?

Not unless someone has come up with a terribly neato patch.
But with proper partitioning software, it shouldn't be a problem.
ProDOS 8 doesn't use a lot of auxilliary files like ProDOS 16 does,
so 32Mb should be more than enough for a P8 working disk.

>Bill Carss
>bill@braille.uwo.ca       (Please Note the Lower case!!)

Grin: good to see you're being so nice to beginners... {smirk}

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "Fat and steel: two mortal enemies locked in deadly combat."