[comp.sys.apple2] DMA, Octoram

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (09/21/90)

Has anyone tried using the Octoram with the Ramfast SCSI or the DMA
SCSI card?

I have an Octoram with 2 1Meg SIMMS, and I am thinking about getting a
RAMfast SCSI card. If there are any problems with such a setup, I
would like to know about it...

|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (09/22/90)

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:

>Has anyone tried using the Octoram with the Ramfast SCSI or the DMA
>SCSI card?

Yes, It works fine as long as you don't put more than 4 simms on it.
That means you can run it with up to 1 meg of 256K simms or 4 meg of 1
meg simms.

>I have an Octoram with 2 1Meg SIMMS, and I am thinking about getting a
>RAMfast SCSI card. If there are any problems with such a setup, I
>would like to know about it...

This setup is OK.  The RamFast is awesome, disk writes are almost
instantaneous, the cursor returns before the hard drive even comes on.

I've been able to boot a minimal system 5.02 in about 10 seconds.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

>|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
>|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
>|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
>|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (09/24/90)

Um, how many megs does the OctoRAM run??? Forgot. Anyway, as a rule, 6 or 8 meg
cards aren't DMA compatible.
scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/24/90)

>Um, how many megs does the OctoRAM run???

Eight.  (Octo... Octopus... eight legs, eight megs :)

6 or 8 meg cards aren't DMA compatible.

I think the first four megs are, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm SURE somene
will! :).

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/25/90)

In <9009241622.AA09569@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>Um, how many megs does the OctoRAM run???

>Eight.  (Octo... Octopus... eight legs, eight megs :)

>6 or 8 meg cards aren't DMA compatible.

Well, one shouldn't make generalizations.  I know the OctoRAM isn't, and
that a bunch of others cards out there aren't ither, but are you sure
that all 6-8 meg cards aren't DMA?  Aren't AE's DMA compatible?  At
least the latest versions should be I would think.

>I think the first four megs are, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm SURE somene
>will! :).

Correct, just set your RAMdisk to be the size of whatever you have over
4 meg, at least on the OctoRAM, other cards should work the same way too.

-k

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/25/90)

>>6 or 8 meg cards aren't DMA compatible.
>
>Well, one shouldn't make generalizations.  I know the OctoRAM isn't, and

Sorry 'bout this... the first line here wasn't me.  It was a quote from a
message I replied  to.  I just forgot to put the ">" in front of it.  I don't
know which person you directed that too... doesn't really matter anyway, I
just wanted to correct that ">" deal that I left out.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

jerryk (Jerry Kindall) (09/26/90)

Re: Memory card DMA compatibility.

NO IIgs memory card is DMA compatible over 4 megabytes.  The design of the
IIgs restricts DMA compatibility to the first 4 megs of the address space.
(On a ROM 03, that would indeed be the first meg on the motherboard and
three megs from a RAM card).  On the other hand, peripherals such as the
Apple II High Speed SCSI Card and the RamFAST/SCSI card KNOW that they
can't do DMA above 4 megs, so they don't even bother trying.  There is no
need to set a RAM disk to keep these cards from trying to DMA into higher
banks of memory, because the people who designed the cards knew all about
the DMA limitations of the IIgs.

Jerry Kindall / Quality Computers
osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!jerryk

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/28/90)

In article <0093D2C8A67760C0.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) writes:
>Um, how many megs does the OctoRAM run??? Forgot. Anyway, as a rule, 6 or 8 meg
>cards aren't DMA compatible.

The OctoRAM can be configured with 1, 2, 4, or 8 SIMMs (all 256K or all 1M).
While the upper "half" of the card is not compatible with the IIGS's DMA,
if the only DMA device you're using is Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card then
it's not a big problem, since that card reverts to programmed-I/O mode for
transfers involving addresses above 4MB.  I found that mine seems more
reliable if I allocate the upper 4MB for a RAM disk.

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (09/30/90)

In article <F1V3P1w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> jerryk (Jerry Kindall) writes:
> On the other hand, peripherals such as the
> Apple II High Speed SCSI Card and the RamFAST/SCSI card KNOW that they
> can't do DMA above 4 megs, so they don't even bother trying.

I was worried about the same thing and called AE's Tech Support line.  After
war dialing for several hours I reached a technician who claimed there could
be problems with GSRam+ cards populated with six megabytes of ram and the
Apple DMA High Speed SCSI card due to the four megabyte limit.

I also called the Apple II Techs at William's Computer Center in Spring, TX
and put the same question to them and got the same results.

The AE guy and the Williams tech both indicated the combination of >4 megs
and a DMA SCSI card could lead to system crashes at inappropriate moments.

I bought an Apricorn RamPro IIgs capable of holding only four megabytes
after that.
--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul