[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Panic

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (09/27/90)

  Last night my roommate and I were thinking about the good old days...
Eventually the conversation moved towards the old, OLD Apple ][ games, like
Sneakers, Raster Blaster, and Apple Panic (among others).  I'd like to know
if anyone out there still has any of these games.  I think I trashed mine long
ago, and I'd love to play another game or two of Apple Panic.  If any of you
still have it, or know of any place that would (highly unlikely), drop me
a line.

  Thanks in advance...

             -Greg T.

ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (09/27/90)

In article <Ib0V4Ty00UhW01MmIX@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>  Last night my roommate and I were thinking about the good old days...
>Eventually the conversation moved towards the old, OLD Apple ][ games, like
>Sneakers, Raster Blaster, and Apple Panic (among others).  I'd like to know
>if anyone out there still has any of these games.  I think I trashed mine long
>ago, and I'd love to play another game or two of Apple Panic.  If any of you
>still have it, or know of any place that would (highly unlikely), drop me
>a line.
>
>  Thanks in advance...
>
>             -Greg T.

I don't think I have any of those games, but I'm pretty sure I still have a
copy of Dung Beetles and Apple Invaders. Dung Beetles was a pretty intersting
game... Kind of like Pac-Man, except portions of the display screen were
greatly magnified (a pretty neat trick!) Apple Invaders (very much like Space
Invaders) came on my original DOS 3.3 disk, I think it was copyright 1979, but
I'm not sure.

Another interesting thing is that at the Houston Museum of Natural Science,
they have some Apples running a slightly rewritten version of the Animals game

By the way, how many of you have seen the Integer Basic Applevision demo,
written by Brian Bishop, the same person who wrote Dung Beetles? I thought it
was rather cute :-)

David Huang                              |           This space
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |          intentionally
America Online: DrWho29                  |           left blank

CERCON63@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (KUJOE) (09/28/90)

   Hello... I have the old apple ][e and I have those games that you
are looking for. Well at least I have Sneakers and Apple Panic laying
around somewhere out there. If you would like to know more about this
let me know.

                 - Joe

IN%"cercon63@snybufva.bitnet"

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (09/28/90)

 I have seen all of those old games also.  Apple Invaders was 1979
 by M. Hata.  Pretty great game for the time.  It was the Top
 game for a year says my old Softalk magazine.

 How about Little Brick Out, Starblazer, Hard Hat Mack, Bandits, or
 Stellar 7.  They are a little more recent.  My friend Roby's favorite
 game is Firebug (lo-res Muse game).

 Oh, and what about Castle Wolfenstein!  That was a great game.

 One game I haven't gotten yet is Wizardry. Does anybody have that for
 sale?

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) (09/28/90)

ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

>By the way, how many of you have seen the Integer Basic Applevision demo,
>written by Brian Bishop, the same person who wrote Dung Beetles? I thought it
>was rather cute :-)

That's Bob Bishop.  Text in hi-res!  Wow!  And it predated HRCG by years!  He
also wrote the aforementioned Dung Beetles ("We gotcha!") as well as the
similar Money Munchers (this is the one that mixes text and lo-res,
interesting technique described in the issue of Softalk with the US Festival
on the cover).

So, whatever happened to Bob Bishop?  Nasir Gebelli?  (Gorgon, Space Eggs,
Russki Duck, etc)  Warren Schwader?  (Sammy Lightfoot, co-Threshold, etc)
How about David Shroeder?  (Dino Eggs, Crisis Mountain, Short Circuit)

If you have the DOS 3.3 file version of Olympic Decathlon, I have patches to
convert it to ProDOS.  :-)  (Yes, I really do.)

Anyone selling old Sirius or Broderbund originals or documentation, lemme at
'em!  I collect these.  I always loved the interesting graphic opening
sequences on the Broderbund games.  Labyrinth, Sea Wolf... and those
Star-Craft games like Snoggle (Sn0ggle?), AE (swimming squid), Star Blazer.

>David Huang                              |           This space
>Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |          intentionally
>America Online: DrWho29                  |           left blank

<humming "Turkey in the Straw">
Dwight A Lee  /  lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu  /  815-758-1389  /  tCS/BB  /  Font
I speak only for myself.  /  "I am not the only dust my mother raised" - TMBG

ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu (Visual Editor) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep27.220546.25644@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) writes:
> How about Little Brick Out, Starblazer, Hard Hat Mack, Bandits, or
> Stellar 7.  They are a little more recent.  My friend Roby's favorite
> game is Firebug (lo-res Muse game).

Steller 7 is a brilliant game. It took me a long time to beat Sir
Draxon. The graphics are amazingly smooth, the font is cool and the demo
sequence of rotating 3-D wire drawings is pretty awesome looking.

Firebug is one of the truly great games. It got some awful score
in the "Book of Apple Software" like B-, but that does not diminish its
greatness. It was Lode Runner when Lode Runner wasn't cool. Unfortunately
it only had six floors or so. I played Firebug far more than most hi-res
games. Lo-res never looked so good! With the spare but accurate gas explosions
and the colorful burning pools of oil, it's one of the greatest looking games
of all time.

It just goes to show that game design is more important than graphics.
This is my main complaint about many games nowadays. The graphics are
fancy, but Contra, Commando, Heavy Barrel, all those games are boring. If I
want to destroy things mindlessly, I'll take vector-graphics based Tempest
anyday.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen a decent adaptation of Tempest for the
Apple? Axis Assasin was too slow and Tubeway was just plain awful. Worst
waste of my money since Pitstop II.

> One game I haven't gotten yet is Wizardry. Does anybody have that for
> sale?

Wizardry is the one game I played more than Firebug. If anyone has Legacy of
Llygaymn, or whatever to sell, let me know.

Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc4.harvard.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/30/90)

In article <4302@husc6.harvard.edu> ehsu@husc9.UUCP (Visual Editor) writes:
>Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen a decent adaptation of Tempest for
>the Apple?

I've wanted that, too, for a long time, but I've never seen one.
It may require a IIGS, because without color mapping support I don't
think it could be made responsive enough.  Judging by Crystal Quest,
the IIGS would have the power to animate the objects that come at
you from the center.

The other issue is that Tempest really requires a continuously
rotating controller.  It may be feasible to map this onto a side-
to-side mouse motion without ruining playability, but maybe not..

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/30/90)

In <13968@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>I've wanted that, too, for a long time, but I've never seen one.
>It may require a IIGS, because without color mapping support I don't
>think it could be made responsive enough.  Judging by Crystal Quest,
>the IIGS would have the power to animate the objects that come at
>you from the center.

>The other issue is that Tempest really requires a continuously
>rotating controller.  It may be feasible to map this onto a side-
>to-side mouse motion without ruining playability, but maybe not..

Well, as a REAL Tempest owner, (yes I have the real standup arcade
game, fully functional sitting at home in the basement (high score
628,000 I think)) I have the full schematics on this beauty.  One
evening sitting there trying to figure out where the F*#(!@& $@#$ this
one stupid switch was so I could do a bit of fine tuning on the color
guns, I came across a reference to the processor.  It required a
6502A, NOT a 6502, as the 6502A was a 1.5Mhz processor.  I thought
that was pretty cool.  But then I also thought it was pretty sad as
here was an arcade game (pretty cool one at that) that had a faster
processor than the Apple, and that was what, back in 85?  Or was it
earlier, I can't remember the date on my game.  There is a bunch of
vector stuff on the circuit board, and seperate math area too, so the
6502A isn't doing any of the hard stuff.

BTW, the machine is built using pressboard, and most of the parts are
very antiquated.  There are some HUGE capacitors on this sucker,
mostly for the power.  But basically, there is nothing in it.  The
circuit boards (2) are HUGE, about 1'x2', and have lots of space on
them.  To put them in the machine just requires you slide them into a
slot cut into a wood.  Pretty high tech eh?  And you thought it was
hi-tech neat!  :)  Another point: the silly thing only stores the top
three high score.  I should wire in a battery backup to it!  Make my
mom happy so she can get some high scores on it!

Now all I need is Guantlet II.

-k

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/30/90)

>In article <1990Sep27.220546.25644@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami
>+ edu (Dru Nelson) writes:
>> How about Little Brick Out, Starblazer, Hard Hat Mack, Bandits, or
>> Stellar 7.  They are a little more recent.  My friend Roby's favorite
>> game is Firebug (lo-res Muse game).
>
>Steller 7 is a brilliant game. It took me a long time to beat Sir
>Draxon. The graphics are amazingly smooth, the font is cool and the demo
>sequence of rotating 3-D wire drawings is pretty awesome looking.

You actually made it past the last level of Stellar 7????  Mind
giving me some hints on how you did it? :-)

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (10/01/90)

An old Apple ][ version of this game was Tubeway ][. Used Paddles for
the rotational aspect.... lots of fun!

|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |