[comp.sys.apple2] Empty Promises from Apple ??

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (09/29/90)

Well, we have all heard about the promises from Apple to advertise
and promote the Apple GS during the fourth quarter, right??

I have in my hot little hands a copy of the Apple 1990 Holiday Promotion
Reference Guide, which outlines the holiday season rebate programs, as
well as the advertising plans and programs. Guess what?? I cannot find
any mention in the rebate plan about ANY Apple II computer nor do I see
any mention of any Apple II wordage in the advertising plans. In fact, I
see only Mac plans. For example, they say they will have a heavy schedule of
advertising that includes national television, national print, national
promotional radio, and direct mail. In explaining the national TV campaign
they write " This fall, a powerful national tv campaign will highlight
the new, affordable Mcintosh CPU's, while also communicating the benifits
of the Apple Advantage. This compelling proposition will drive new
computer users to the Macintosh and, consequently into your store."

Regarding the National print campaign, they write " We have developed two
advertisements to generate awareness - a new product announcement ad, and a
sustaining family ad. The new product focuses on (and it gives the
names of yet unannounced products), while the family ad repositions
the full line of Macintosh computers."

They then go on to say the type places the ads will appear such as
Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Business Week, Info World, PC Magazine,
PC Week, MacWeek, Macworld, and Mac User. No where does it mention any
intention to promote the Apple II nor place CPU ads in any Apple II
bases publication..

They also plan an 80,000 piece direct mail campaign in November that will
"announce the new products, as well as showcase the entire line of
Macintosh line of computers."

No where does this document tell the dealer to stock any Apple II unit
for the holiday traffic created by the promotion, nor does the
dealer software rebate program contain ANY Apple II software..

Based upon what I see here, Apple promised us anything to get us off
their back for a while, but now that the time has arrived, they are
going to offer us nothing regarding the promotion of the Apple II
computer. Oh yes, they do plan to announce their new Hyper product
in the Apple Mags in December, but that is not the CPU they said
we would see promoted, is it?? Heck, I'll bet we will see more promotion
for the Apple IIe card that is for the Mac when it is released then we will
ever see for the GS itself.

By the way, the above Mac ad campaign kicks off on October 15th.

Ok, I am ready for any "flames" that come my way, but please, if you
are going to claim that the Apple document I am quoting from, and thus
I am wrong, PROVE it. I and millions of other Apple II owners are ready
and willing to see PROOF instead of promises that I am wrong.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep29.022025.14760@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
> Well, we have all heard about the promises from Apple to advertise
> and promote the Apple GS during the fourth quarter, right??

I don't recall any promises to advertise the product in any of Scully's
ramblings.  All I remember is a promise to "support" the II family whatever
that means.
--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/01/90)

In article <28766@nuchat.UUCP> paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>In article <1990Sep29.022025.14760@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>> Well, we have all heard about the promises from Apple to advertise
>> and promote the Apple GS during the fourth quarter, right??
>
>I don't recall any promises to advertise the product in any of Scully's
>ramblings.  All I remember is a promise to "support" the II family whatever
>that means.

  I have a transscript of an America Online conference in which two Apple
Representatives state that Apple will have an aggressive marketing campaign
for the Apple ][s.  That's a promise to me.

>paul@nuchat.UUCP
>{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul
>paul%nuchat.uucp@uhnix1.uh.edu

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
   Apple II Forever!  Apple II Infinitum!  Give me Woz or Give me Amiga!

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (10/01/90)

In <28766@nuchat.UUCP> paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:

>In article <1990Sep29.022025.14760@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>> Well, we have all heard about the promises from Apple to advertise
>> and promote the Apple GS during the fourth quarter, right??

>I don't recall any promises to advertise the product in any of Scully's
>ramblings.  All I remember is a promise to "support" the II family whatever
>that means.
>--
I did not see it in the Skullmans ramblings either, but it was in the
agreements with the Apple II developers Assn.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.212607.6689@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
> I did not see it in the Skullmans ramblings either, but it was in the
> agreements with the Apple II developers Assn.

Sorry.  I stand corrected.  I was indeed refering to Skullman's A+/Incider
ramblings and all I gleaned from that was he wanted us to know that he thought
of us from time to time.