[comp.sys.apple2] The Late Great Apple //

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/23/90)

Fellas, in establishing this here User's Group at CMUniversity, I have
had more fun rebuilding a ][-plus than I thought possible. The thing
was donated to us along with a CP/M boards and a Videx Ultraterm
80-column card. (Would someone like to mail me what stuff I can do
with this? Like modifications to allow Appleworks to run?)

I will keep writing and pushing for my little Apple //gs (with a new
power supply, BTW) until whenever. But John Sculley's letter in
Incider has done it for me. From the horse's mouth, the MAN equated
the future of Apple // hardware to Macintoshes with emulation cards.
With 4 years of no significant hardware releases/speed increases to
back this up, I have had it. No more rumors, no more stories of
whiz-kids with 20 MHz 65816's signing contracts with AE, nope.

You people wanna real machine? Look at NeXT. The first NeXT cube was
like the //gs... lots of potential in the hardware with the graphics
and sound, but too damned slow and not configured well enough. But
where Apple neglected, NeXT pushed. Check out the new NeXTstations.
Bundled software, ready to use from the box, complete with monitor and
hard-drive storage, 8 megs, 25 MHz 68040, Ethernet, Mach-UNIX, price $3995 w/o
edutcational discount.

And the damned thing will be able to switch flawlessly into the X
environment and back again. Run all the famous Gnu software under
X11R4. NeXT came through. Blows the Mac //fx out of the water; can't
even get an empty box from apple at that price. 'Nuff said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |   Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |    Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |             |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/26/90)

>You people wanna real machine? Look at NeXT. The first NeXT cube was
>like the //gs... lots of potential in the hardware with the graphics
>and sound, but too damned slow and not configured well enough. But
>where Apple neglected, NeXT pushed. Check out the new NeXTstations.
>Bundled software, ready to use from the box, complete with monitor and
>hard-drive storage, 8 megs, 25 MHz 68040, Ethernet, Mach-UNIX, price $3995 w/o
>edutcational discount.

I just want to point out a few things to make sure people don't get
misinformation.  The basic NeXTstation (cheapest model) costs $4995.
Educational discounts are running it in the $3200 range.  I've heard
that the cheapest discount is $2995 (depends on how many the university
commits to ordering).

>And the damned thing will be able to switch flawlessly into the X
>environment and back again. Run all the famous Gnu software under
>X11R4. NeXT came through. Blows the Mac //fx out of the water; can't
>even get an empty box from apple at that price. 'Nuff said.

This is absolutely wrong.  No X stuff comes with the NeXT's, NONE.  Gnu
Emacs and the Gnu Debugger come with the NeXT.  I believe gcc comes with
the NeXT also, but not X.  There ARE folks working on X ports to the
NeXT, and there is already a version out there, but it runs on top of
the NeXT environment, which will slow it down a bit.  I'm not quite sure
of the compatibility with X stuff.  There is some guy working on a new
version that will hopefully be more compatible (the old one was R3 I
think).  Ideally, the people working on the new one are trying to make
the whole interface X, and not have to run X on top of NeXTStep.

Just wanted to clear up a few facts.  The NeXT IS hot, extremely!  Makes
Apple pricing look like they DON'T want to sell computers.

-k

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/26/90)

In article <waz4PZ600awLNAxqcV@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

>I will keep writing and pushing for my little Apple //gs (with a new
>power supply, BTW) until whenever. But John Sculley's letter in
>Incider has done it for me. From the horse's mouth, the MAN equated
>the future of Apple // hardware to Macintoshes with emulation cards.
>With 4 years of no significant hardware releases/speed increases to
>back this up, I have had it. No more rumors, no more stories of
>whiz-kids with 20 MHz 65816's signing contracts with AE, nope.

I think you have misread that letter. The IIe emulation is a small
attempt to help fend off IBM/Tandy computers with IIe emulators
from gaining the upper hand in schools. Also, it is a step towards
making the GS and the Macs operate better together. As I see it, the
GS is quite a unique computer, and Apple knows it. The steps taken
so far with the GS make sense in the context of the target market. I
can only assume the DMA SCSI card was developed in order to make
life more pleasant for people not in that market. I do REALLY think
that Apple cares about its users and the GS users in particular. I
can forsee more sharing of peripherals between the Mac and the GS,
which is very good for all of us. In any case, I wouldn't be discouraged
by this letter. Don't forget that there is probably not a reliable
large volume supplier of fast 65816 cpu's yet. That does have some
impact on just how far Apple can take the GS for now. I can only assume
that were such a company to emerge, and it made economic sense( i.e.
there was a market), Apple would not hesitate in coming out with a
faster GS. I refuse to believe all the talk of conspiracies that one sees
on the net.

>You people wanna real machine? Look at NeXT. The first NeXT cube was
>like the //gs... lots of potential in the hardware with the graphics
>and sound, but too damned slow and not configured well enough. But
>where Apple neglected, NeXT pushed. Check out the new NeXTstations.
>Bundled software, ready to use from the box, complete with monitor and
>hard-drive storage, 8 megs, 25 MHz 68040, Ethernet, Mach-UNIX, price $3995 w/o
>edutcational discount.

A Unix workstation( there is an unbelievable price war going on in that
market) is something quite different from a personal computer. The initial
cost may very well be appealing. I would suggest that you check out
Unix software prices, prices of service contracts, etc...It is one thing
to be on a network of Unix workstations and quite another to have a
personal computer that you configure to your liking with $40 software,
as opposed to $1000 software.

Many years ago, I purchased a wonderful transporatble Unix computer
called the Integral, from HP. It had Unix in ROM( it was SVID), a printer,
3.5megs of RAM, an electrolumenescent screen,etc...It made Byte. It was
HOT...for 6 months. It never sold much. Why? Software. The cost of Unix
software was just too much. This was a very easy point/click Unix
workstation. It may have been ahead of its time, but it made me think
that Unix would never be the OS for the masses, micros,etc...I would
think carefully about your NeXT interest. A happy GS/Mac user is rarely
a happy UNIX user, although the reverse is certainly the case for me.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

In <1990Sep26.060442.2277@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>>You people wanna real machine? Look at NeXT. The first NeXT cube was
>>like the //gs... lots of potential in the hardware with the graphics
>>and sound, but too damned slow and not configured well enough. But
>>where Apple neglected, NeXT pushed. Check out the new NeXTstations.
>>Bundled software, ready to use from the box, complete with monitor and
>>hard-drive storage, 8 megs, 25 MHz 68040, Ethernet, Mach-UNIX, price $3995 w/o
>>edutcational discount.

>Unix software prices, prices of service contracts, etc...It is one thing
>to be on a network of Unix workstations and quite another to have a
>personal computer that you configure to your liking with $40 software,
>as opposed to $1000 software.

>think carefully about your NeXT interest. A happy GS/Mac user is rarely
>a happy UNIX user, although the reverse is certainly the case for me.

Yeah, think real hard, ya just might want one!  The above price is
wrong, as per another post I made.  It's in reality $4995.  But what
is a NeXTstation?  PC?  Workstation?  Micro/mini/mainframe?

The machine itself is priced as a high-end PC, or a low low end
workstation.  Educational discounts put this machine in middle priced
PC's, and places it at a price range to compete with almost all the
Mac's, a chunk of PC's, and even against Amiga.  As far as Unix is
concerned, well I've seen quite a number of 2-486's that will run
Unix, or version thereof, that cost significantly more than a NeXT,
especially when you consider the cost of the bundled software.  Yet it
has the power of more pricey workstations (ie: Sun Sparc), AND still
comes with all that software, which you don't get on most
workstations, I don't imagine.

As far as price for software is concerned, it is no worse than the Mac
world.  Lotus's Improv (new spreadsheet, that should be killer) is
only $695, which you'd pay for in the IBM or Mac world.  I happen to
have a catalog of new NeXT products, done or in the works.  While
there isn't much that is lower than $100, almost all of it is
productivity software, and runs at similar prices to comparable PC/Mac
stuff.  There is a lot that is super expensive also.  Cobol (ACK!!!!)
for instance is $2000.  Who in their right mind would pay $2000 for
Cobol?  Barf gag!  But there is other stuff that is quite reasonably
priced.  It may tend to be a bit more, but if the number of products
starts to get rolling, then somebody might create a mail-order NeXT
software business, and we are back down to lovely prices!

-k

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/27/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 26-Sep-90 Re: The Late Great
> Apple // Kareth@mace.cc.purdue.ed (1793)

> >X11R4. NeXT came through. Blows the Mac //fx out of the water; can't
> >even get an empty box from apple at that price. 'Nuff said.

> This is absolutely wrong.  No X stuff comes with the NeXT's, NONE.  Gnu
> Emacs and the Gnu Debugger come with the NeXT.  I believe gcc comes with
> the NeXT also, but not X.  There ARE folks working on X ports to the
> NeXT,

No, X will not come bundled with the NeXTStation, but industry sources
say that the MIT X-consortium is very close to the NeXTStep to X (and
back) environment that I described. Once it has been released, X would
be trivial to obtain; it's free and FTP'able from the Consortium.

Many companies were having difficulty considering the NeXT platform
unless X was available in some form. NeXT wants to sell computers, and
at as low a price as $4995, they must sell in volume. For these reasons,
I believe X will be available for the NeXT by the time they ship in
earnest next year. . I can send my references to you if you wish.

Of course, I am trying to steam down over this thing as NeXTStations
have yet to be produced in volume, but that is the fault of Motorola and
their 68040's not shipping in quantity. If this gets fixed, NeXT may
well be the machine to buy....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |    Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |     Software|   opinions, alone.     |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|             |     Ya Gotta Love It.  |

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/27/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 26-Sep-90 Re: The Late Great
> Apple // Philip McDunnough@utstat (3374)

> I would think carefully about your NeXT interest. A happy GS/Mac user is
> rarely
> a happy UNIX user, although the reverse is certainly the case for me.

> The initial cost may very well be appealing. I would suggest that you
> check out
> Unix software prices, prices of service contracts, etc...

The NeXT machine comes bundled with Unix, Display Postscript, a
Postscript Previewer, Print Manager software (Postscript again), a
WYSIWYG editor WriteNow, Mathematica, Digital Librarian, and the
complete Webster's Dictionary and a Thesaurus. Unlike most Unix
machines, this thing is useful right out of the box. It also has
Ethernet built in.

It isn't the machine for everyone, admittedly, but for an educational
environment or somewhere where one has access to Ethernet, it is ideal.
Certainly, if you are going to spend $4000 on a high-end Mac, you should
take a look at NeXT before you put your money down. NeXTstations
represent a fine effort and use of resources. In comparison, Apple
doesn't seem to have much drive.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |    Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |     Software|   opinions, alone.     |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|             |     Ya Gotta Love It.  |

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (09/27/90)

In article <Ab0DlBi00Ud5I2N4gE@andrew.cmu.edu>, jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G.
Mereness) says:

>                                                    NeXTstations
>represent a fine effort and use of resources. In comparison, Apple
>doesn't seem to have much drive.

Replace "NeXTstations" with "apple //s" and "apple" with "IBM,"
"Timex," etc... and push that date back 10-13 years and you'd
still be saying something valid. Remember, in a technology that
changes so rapidly, Apple is a rather aging company. IBM has always
made more than just computers, and still makes computers other
than personal computers, so it's withstood the test of time. Steve
Jobs was called a "visionary" when Apple Computer, Inc. was founded
and we're now hearing the same thing about NeXT. The Apple ][+ was
an amazing machine for the times as were the //e, the //c, and the
Macintosh (get out your old computer magazines if you don't believe
me). I remember all the ado about "you get color graphics WITHOUT
buying a graphics board!" "BASIC is built in!" "Wow, you can use
a disk drive?" and "48K? WOW!"

Now I don't mean to get on the Apple bashing bandwagon, but
the //gs was really not as state-of-the-art as the previous
Apple machines. What held it back? // compatibility. But as
someone mentioned, a GS without // compatibility would be another
Macintoy, maybe without the "mac users are computer-illiterate"
stigma. Who needs that?

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/27/90)

>I would suggest that you check out Unix software >prices, prices of
service contracts, etc...It is one >thing to be on a network of Unix
workstations and >quite another to have a personal computer that you >
>configure to your liking with $40 software, as opposed >to $1000
software.

True, but you also have the advantage of being able to FTP and compile a
VERY large collection of free software.  Once a Unix machine has a
bug-free C compiler and the appropriate header files, it can run
hundreds of good programs for free.

-- Charles William Swiger
    cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep26.060442.2277@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>>where Apple neglected, NeXT pushed. Check out the new NeXTstations.
>>Bundled software, ready to use from the box, complete with monitor and
>>hard-drive storage, 8 megs, 25 MHz 68040, Ethernet, Mach-UNIX, price $3995 w/o
>>edutcational discount.
>
>A Unix workstation( there is an unbelievable price war going on in that
>market) is something quite different from a personal computer. The initial
>cost may very well be appealing. I would suggest that you check out
>Unix software prices, prices of service contracts, etc...It is one thing
>to be on a network of Unix workstations and quite another to have a
>personal computer that you configure to your liking with $40 software,
>as opposed to $1000 software.

	Don't mix a Unix workstation with a NeXT. Yes, NeXT uses Mach,
	a BSD 4.3 compatible while superior OS. But that's not the point.
	The NeXt was designed and intended to be used as the personal
	computer of the 90s.  If you get one and use it, you'll not realize
	that it is a workstation, but a "powerful personal computer"
	The NeXT also comes with boundle softwares that has commercial
	value of over $2000. Some good examples are Mathmatica, Webster's
	ninth collegiate dictionary with illustrations, Oxford quotation,
	complete works of shakespeare, a demo version of FramMaker that
	really works(but do not save after oct 89)  Most oter third
	party software companies offers student discount or site lincensing
	to individual users at price of $100 for a software package of
	$500-$2500.  Of couse, there are sharewares too. ftp sites for
	hundred "quality" PD, sharewares are available.

	BTW, several useful "X" applications are FREEWARE (same with
	lots software for UNIX), and can be run under Xwindow system for
	NeXT.  I havent bought a single software yet sinc'e almost all
	i need are boundled with NeXT

>Many years ago, I purchased a wonderful transporatble Unix computer
>called the Integral, from HP. It had Unix in ROM( it was SVID), a printer,
>3.5megs of RAM, an electrolumenescent screen,etc...It made Byte. It was
>HOT...for 6 months. It never sold much. Why? Software. The cost of Unix
>software was just too much. This was a very easy point/click Unix
>workstation. It may have been ahead of its time, but it made me think
>that Unix would never be the OS for the masses, micros,etc...I would
>think carefully about your NeXT interest. A happy GS/Mac user is rarely
>a happy UNIX user, although the reverse is certainly the case for me.

	I am extremely happy with my NeXT, it's SO easy to use and it comes
	with everything I need and everything I don't need. Believe or not
	you don't need any knoledge about Unix to use a NeXT.

	I was holding all my $$ for the ROM04, but since Apple is not
	doing a s*t to the // line, I moved up to something that is
	somewhat "like" my old pal, Apple //c.  Really, Apple // and
	NeXT are the only computer I feel very comfortable with.

	mail me if you want to flame, mail me if you wanna know more about
	NeXT, mail me if you like to say Hi, or just drop an empty mail if
	you like (but not recommended).
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao