[comp.sys.apple2] Modems and Software for Apple IIc

antonio@sumax.UUCP (Antonio C. Saramosing) (10/02/90)

I have an apple IIc and have access to a UNIX system.  I need to
know what kind of communication software for modems that can emulate
VT100 terminals. Can I use a regular Hayes compatible modem ?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated !

UUCP address : antonio@sumax.UUCP
internet address : antonio@sumax.seattleu.edu

In article <1702@sumax.UUCP> antonio@sumax.UUCP (Antonio C. Saramosing) writes:
>I have an apple IIc and have access to a UNIX system.  I need to
>know what kind of communication software for modems that can emulate
>VT100 terminals. Can I use a regular Hayes compatible modem ?

	I suggest that you get ProTERM. It is a great terminal program
for the Apple II.  If you happen to be a longtime user of the Apple II
[which I presume not to be the case, since you'd probably already know
about ProTERM], ProTERM is almost as powerful as the Schwarzenegger
of Apple terminal programs, ASCII EXPRESS... But ProTERM's MUCH easier
to use...

	ProTERM does VT100, and many other terminal emulations... Also it
has Ymodem batch and many other transfer protocols... (If you don't know
about Ymodem batch, you'll get to like it really quick! You don't have
to type all of the names of the files you're receiving.. the protocol
does it for you).

	This -may- sound like I'm taking back part of what I said, but I
am not. ProTERM's VT100 emulation has a minor glitch or two that sometimes
get in the way... This ---may--- be fixed on ProTERM 2.2... [Actually, one
of the things I call a "glitch" is actually more of a 'feature', and can
be controlled somewhat through toggle switches in ProTERM]
I would like to ask why you think you need VT100 though... It seems vt100
is one of the first terminal emulations people become aware of..

	Yet on UNIX (and I presume other OSs like VMS or whatever else
runs on mainframes), it asks you for what terminal type.. Since I was
personally bugged by a 'feature' of ProTERM (as said above, it's actually
controllable to a degree), I just switched to Televideo.. There's nothing
someone using VT100 can do that I can't..
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/