[comp.sys.apple2] Low Blow from Apple/Rescue Raiders GS

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/15/90)

I don't even know if I should say this, so at least I won't go into
great detail..  I will simply say that Rescue Raiders GS is being made..
At least it is planned.. I know of no further information on where it is
in the stages of production. One of the well-known GS software makers
is making it. I'm not saying one o the huge companies, just one of the well
known.
--
        /    Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu     \
        \If cartoons were for adults, they'd be on in prime time./

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (09/15/90)

--
>        /    Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu
>        if cartoons were for adults, they'd be on in prime time./

If It's made, they got my money..............

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (09/17/90)

Gee, how encouraging.  Rescue Raiders GS is being made.  At one point in time,
Renegade GS, Blue Angels GS, and Heatwave GS were being made, too.  Now we may
never see them.. unless the companies go through with them in Europe, like
they did with Captain Blood and Shufflepuck.

    Reardon--Magic with an attitude.  Do not walk the metaplanes alone.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon

"Hey Horace, there's more drek goin' on out there than you can dig even when
you're hotwired.  Y'catch?"
             -- From the hit simsense, _Hamlet 2050_, Elan Vital Productions.

bird@cbnewsd.att.com (j.l.walters) (09/18/90)

From article <4454@crash.cts.com>, by tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo):
> ... unless the companies go through with them in Europe, like
> they did with Captain Blood and Shufflepuck.

Not at all aware of what shufflepack is, however, I was under the
impression that Mindscape was/did bring out Captain Blood since
they came to our user group an asked our opinion - which was mixed
- I thought the game was mindless in the version they showed us so
I've never bothered buying it when it came out.

If it is more than a "claw" on a spaceship control going over a
line drawing of fractuls - then clue me in.

Perhaps the confusion comes about since the game was developed in
France.

--

				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IH 2A-227 (708) 979-9527

kreme@nyx.UUCP (Finnegan's wake-up call) (09/20/90)

In article <4454@crash.cts.com> tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
>Gee, how encouraging.  Rescue Raiders GS is being made.  At one point in time,
>Renegade GS, Blue Angels GS, and Heatwave GS were being made, too.  Now we may
>never see them.. unless the companies go through with them in Europe, like
>they did with Captain Blood and Shufflepuck.

Well, I saw Blue Angels GS, and I thik they made the right choice.  If that
was as good as their programers could do with the GS they probably can't
program their way out of a paper bag.  Blue Angles was so amazingly slow
you would look at the screen for several minutes wondering if anything had
happened.

Captain Blood looked stupid on the Amiga... I doubt it could be much better on
the GS.  As for Renegade and Heatwave... I don't know.  What I do know is
if there were more games like Rastan GS I would own a whole lot more //gs
software.  Most I look at and think "Pay for this sludge?  Are you insane?"

Rescue Raiders was one of my very favorite //e games, so I would love to see
a GS specific version made of it.

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/21/90)

What was Rescue Raiders anyway?  I don't ever remember seeing the
][e version...

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

In article <90Sep20.184036edt.57412@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>What was Rescue Raiders anyway?  I don't ever remember seeing the
>][e version...

	Rescue Raiders is/was probably one of the BEST games ever
for the // (pre GS) series.. Actually it is one of the best games
for the // series period, including the GS..  Hopefully Rescue Raiders
GS (with AppleTalk support and other improvements included in the Mac
version) will be even better!

	Rescue Raiders used some of the same graphics as Choplifter
(you HAVE to remember choplifter if you've been in the // world for a
while!)..

	In Rescue Raiders you had a helicopter and were on the right end
of a big scrolling playfield.. You sent out vans, jeeps that shot
missiles, tanks, fighters and electricians (and maybe a few things I
forgot).  The computer did the same types of things you did from the left
end. You had to capture the other end.. I believe by having a demolition
van reach the far left of the playfield..  Then you'd go on to the
next round.. I believe that you were theoretically fighting different
battles of WWII or something.. Or maybe you had new style weapons against
the WWII people.. I forget for sure.  Doesn't this sound fun on AppleTalk
against other people? [The only game -I- know of that plays over AppleTalk
is NetTrek.. Seems that should be exploited more in the Mac & GS world.
A few people I've known have taken their Macs over to my house to play
NetTrek [me using my mom's Mac].. IT's very fun. We need NetTrek GS now!]

	Enough rambling for now.. except one more thing. I feel that the
people in Rescue Raiders and Choplifter are AMAZING! They seem SO realistic
yet they're so small and use so few pixels.. Oh yeah.. I think the people in
Lode Runner are the same too. (the demo for Lode Runner GS too)
--

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (09/24/90)

In article <7083@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <90Sep20.184036edt.57412@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>>What was Rescue Raiders anyway?  I don't ever remember seeing the
>>][e version...
>
>	Rescue Raiders is/was probably one of the BEST games ever
>for the // (pre GS) series.. Actually it is one of the best games
>for the // series period, including the GS..  Hopefully Rescue Raiders
>GS (with AppleTalk support and other improvements included in the Mac
>version) will be even better!

Yeppers!  Rescue Raiders was an awesome game!

>	Rescue Raiders used some of the same graphics as Choplifter
>(you HAVE to remember choplifter if you've been in the // world for a
>while!)...

What do you mean by this?  As far as I remember, there were no graphics
"lifted" from Choplifter, though many of the elements were there.  The
running guys and the helicopter were much different looking.

>[Description of Rescue Raiders Premise, and how great it was]

My absolute favorite part of the whole game was the missiles!  They were
guided, and the enemy would launch swarms of them at you!  It was truly
the test of an excellent pilot when you could fly all the way from
your base to the enemy base and drop your guys into their bunker...without
getting blown to smithereens by the guided missiles spewing out of the
Main Base every second!  The missiles obeyed the laws of physics, and
would become "dead bombs" when they ran out of fuel...these are the best
missiles I have ever seen in an arcade game!  True "seat-of-the-pants"
flying...not many games have approached this.  At least, I can't think of
one right now.

>	Enough rambling for now.. except one more thing. I feel that the
>people in Rescue Raiders and Choplifter are AMAZING! They seem SO realistic
>yet they're so small and use so few pixels.. Oh yeah.. I think the people in
>Lode Runner are the same too. (the demo for Lode Runner GS too)

Yes, they are.  It's so easy to screw up something like that, but the
animation really brings the feeling of running across...It's an old
animator's trick...small blob-like people are much easier to animate fluidly
than large ones.  Since the people are so small, you don't expect to see
much detail and everything looks just great!  Example: The Waving Goodbye
scene at the end of "The Little Mermaid" has Ariel and Eric up on a boat
sailing into the sunset...they look almost rotoscoped, but they are just
some splats of waving color with no resolvable detail at all...

Dan "Choplifter" Gorlin also did some great animation in AirHeart...it
really kicked!  Did he also do Short Circuit (?), where you are a little
dude running around electronic circuits?  Wait...I think I'm mixing up
the dude who did that and "Dino Eggs" (another excellently-done game).
And how about Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia!  Truly awe-inspiring!
--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu  |
          | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS    |

In article <1990Sep23.194958.21310@ee.rochester.edu> seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) writes:
<> I said doubly quoted junk:
<>	Rescue Raiders used some of the same graphics as Choplifter
<>(you HAVE to remember choplifter if you've been in the // world for a
<>while!)...
<What do you mean by this?  As far as I remember, there were no graphics
<"lifted" from Choplifter, though many of the elements were there.  The
<running guys and the helicopter were much different looking.
	I'm pretty sure that at least the running guys were basically
the exact same pixel representations on both games. I thought the
helicopters were the same too but now you've made me doubt that..

<My absolute favorite part of the whole game was the missiles!  They were
<guided, and the enemy would launch swarms of them at you!  It was truly
<the test of an excellent pilot when you could fly all the way from
<your base to the enemy base and drop your guys into their bunker...without
<getting blown to smithereens by the guided missiles spewing out of the
<Main Base every second!  The missiles obeyed the laws of physics, and
<would become "dead bombs" when they ran out of fuel...these are the best
<missiles I have ever seen in an arcade game!  True "seat-of-the-pants"
<flying...not many games have approached this.  At least, I can't think of
<one right now.
	Yeah, you mean the ones where they'd shoot off of the jeeps??
And I think the jeeps would blow up since they shot off their missile
(and thus had no purpose in the game anymore!).

<>	Enough rambling for now.. except one more thing. I feel that the
<>people in Rescue Raiders and Choplifter are AMAZING! They seem SO realistic
<>yet they're so small and use so few pixels.. Oh yeah.. I think the people in
<>Lode Runner are the same too. (the demo for Lode Runner GS too)

>Dan "Choplifter" Gorlin also did some great animation in AirHeart...it
>really kicked!  Did he also do Short Circuit (?), where you are a little
>dude running around electronic circuits?  Wait...I think I'm mixing up
>the dude who did that and "Dino Eggs" (another excellently-done game).
>And how about Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia!  Truly awe-inspiring!

	I don't know who did Short Circuit. That was/is a really cool game!
The magneto level was too darn hard though.. I never solved the game..
(magneto level was the one where you had to go up this long 'corridor'
thing where there were magnets on each side and they pulled you! There were
also other things to kill you).
	Dino Eggs was pretty cool too... That was one of the ones converted
to a file game way way way back.. I never got into Airheart though. It was
really good graphically, but I thought it was hard to control and just not
too fun. Actually I heard it could be solved in like 5 minutes.. no fun! heh.
--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (09/24/90)

In article <7108@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
says:

>In article <1990Sep23.194958.21310@ee.rochester.edu> seah@ee.rochester.edu
>(David Seah) writes:
><> I said doubly quoted junk:
><>	Rescue Raiders used some of the same graphics as Choplifter
><>(you HAVE to remember choplifter if you've been in the // world for a
><>while!)...
><What do you mean by this?  As far as I remember, there were no graphics
><"lifted" from Choplifter, though many of the elements were there.  The
><running guys and the helicopter were much different looking.
>	I'm pretty sure that at least the running guys were basically
>the exact same pixel representations on both games. I thought the
>helicopters were the same too but now you've made me doubt that..

The helicopters are much different, both in looks and in how they
fly. The basic concept of the graphics of both games are much
the same though. I like how your helicopter can take damage and
begins to smoke, with bigger and bigger clouds.

As for the people, the ones in choplifter look more like those
in lode runner, but although all are similar I really don't think
any are the same. But think about it - how many different kinds
of teeny people can one draw with apple // graphics (in white)?

><My absolute favorite part of the whole game was the missiles!  They were
><guided, and the enemy would launch swarms of them at you!  It was truly
><the test of an excellent pilot when you could fly all the way from
><your base to the enemy base and drop your guys into their bunker...without
><getting blown to smithereens by the guided missiles spewing out of the
><Main Base every second!  The missiles obeyed the laws of physics, and
><would become "dead bombs" when they ran out of fuel...these are the best
><missiles I have ever seen in an arcade game!  True "seat-of-the-pants"
><flying...not many games have approached this.  At least, I can't think of
><one right now.
>	Yeah, you mean the ones where they'd shoot off of the jeeps??
>And I think the jeeps would blow up since they shot off their missile
>(and thus had no purpose in the game anymore!).

Yes, and you could also shoot them from your helicopter by pressing
both buttons simultaneously. My neighbor my freshman year had
a pirated copy of this game, which had unlimited missiles.
That was pretty fun. He would save up money, blowing up anything
of the enemy's that would get too far, and then send out a whole
line of equipment in a certain pattern... then pick up as many men
as possible and drop them into the line in strategic places. Then
he would just use his unlimited missiles to allow the convoy to
reach the other side of the screen, as long as he could (no unlimited
lives). He could win the first level almost every time that way,
although the second level stumped him since he usually only had
one helicopter left to work with.

(note: not a plug for pirated games, although it was much more
fun than the real version with limited missiles between fill-ups)

In article <90266.224535ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>Yes, and you could also shoot them from your helicopter by pressing
>both buttons simultaneously. My neighbor my freshman year had
>a pirated copy of this game, which had unlimited missiles.
>
>(note: not a plug for pirated games, although it was much more
>fun than the real version with limited missiles between fill-ups)

	I'm not positive, but I think this is one of the many cheats
that were BUILT IN to the game by the authors.. I spoke to Greg Hale
at last year's SF AppleFest and that was the case.. SF AppleFest RIP.

	Someone else will probably be able to provide a fuller
list of the keys, but I am pretty sure about the following:

	type zippy-  while in the game.

	then jkl will instantaneously pop you around the level
(j to far left, k to middle, l to far right).

	I would GUESS that h is what gives you unlimited helicopters.

--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/25/90)

You can buy new helicopters in the game by typing 'h'...but they cost a
LOT (about what 5 tanks cost).

As for the pirated copy with unlimited missiles:  it ruins one of the
major challenges of the game, how to use your ammo efficiently and how
to create a force that will survive without you overhead destroying all
opposition.

>just my opinion<

As for the keys (what I remember):

t: make a tank
m: make five men, can take over houses
e: make two engineers, can build anti-aircraft guns
d: make a van that will destroy the enemy base
a: make an anti-aircraft missile truck
h: buy a new helicopter
c: display score, ammo status, cash flow, etc
0-9: change speed that c scrolls by

-- Charles William Swiger
    cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com (Adam Robey) (09/25/90)

I agree with you about network use for games. I was thinking the same thing
the other day. (By the way, where can you get the new commercial version of
it? I only have a shareware version.) NetTrek GS would be great.

-AMR
| PROLINE: pro-novapple!adamr             | UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!adamr    |
| ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!adamr@nosc.mil | INET: adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com  |

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (09/25/90)

(about rescue raiders cheats)

      Ah, that explains it! I noticed occasionally the 'copter would
      jump around, and once he got unlimited helicopters, but he
      didn't know how he did it. I guess that copy was captured
      with one of those memory-dump cards while that mode was in effect.
      He had another copy that had none of these helping hands effective.

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (09/26/90)

In article <7118@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>[The Infamous ZIPPY Cheat!]
>	Someone else will probably be able to provide a fuller
>list of the keys, but I am pretty sure about the following:
>
>	type zippy-  while in the game.
>
>	then jkl will instantaneously pop you around the level
>(j to far left, k to middle, l to far right).
>
>	I would GUESS that h is what gives you unlimited helicopters.

I think the others went like this:

- 1..9 	Typing the dash followed by a number would skip you to that
 	level.  I think level 9 was the "You Win!" Screen...the
	game gets REALLY interesting after about level 4.

/	Give yourself a helicopter

hehehe...

--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu  |
          | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS    |
  ^..^    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (09/26/90)

<RETURN> toggles bulletproof-ness on and off.  You can still be taken out by
rockets, though.

ST102272@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Apple Defender) (09/27/90)

Is there really a GS version of Rescue Raiders?  If so, does the "Zippy"
work on it.  Also, where do I get a copy of Rescue Raiders GS?

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") (09/27/90)

On 22 Sep 90 07:09:26 GMT you said:

>In article <90Sep20.184036edt.57412@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>>What was Rescue Raiders anyway?  I don't ever remember seeing the
>>][e version...
>
>    Rescue Raiders is/was probably one of the BEST games ever
>for the // (pre GS) series.. Actually it is one of the best games
>for the // series period, including the GS..  Hopefully Rescue Raiders
>GS (with AppleTalk support and other improvements included in the Mac
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                        ^^^
>version) will be even better!
 ^^^^^^^

I have only heard dribs and drabs about Rescue Raiders Mac, but what is the
deal about Appletalk support?  Can 2 players play head to head over the
network.  That is one of the bests things about Netrek.  Does it work over
modem or only Network?  Is it only 2 players? (I pretty much assume this,
but thought I would ask anyway since Netrek allows up to 5 players!)

Also, does the game play in color on the Mac II?  This would be great!
Any other details about would be great!

Thanks in advance,

George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator     CREN/Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Educational Computing Center             Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
Temple University                  America Online: GaPio
Philadelphia, PA 19122                 Compu$erve: 74046,1304
(215) 787-6228                              Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI

Doc Brown: Obviously, the Time Continuum has been disrupted creating this
New Temporal Event Sequence resulting in this Alternate Reality!
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

dfc@sunflare.EBay.Sun.COM (Dan Currie) (10/02/90)

So where can I get a copy of this awesome Rescue Raiders game?
I have checked around the SF Bay Area and no stores have heard of it.
I tried mailing some people who supposedly wrote it at an address
in Berkeley and never got a reply. Anyone know of any stores
where I can purchase it?

Thanks,

	Dan

In article <3352@male.EBay.Sun.COM> dfc@sunflare.EBay.Sun.COM (Dan Currie) writes:
>So where can I get a copy of this awesome Rescue Raiders game?
>I have checked around the SF Bay Area and no stores have heard of it.
>I tried mailing some people who supposedly wrote it at an address
>in Berkeley and never got a reply. Anyone know of any stores
>where I can purchase it?
	Please don't take offense at all of this.. I will probably sound
absolutely pissed off but I don't mean it.. at least not completely.

	YOU MUST NOT HAVE READ MY ORIGINAL ARTICLE COMPLETELY! I did
--not-- say that Rescue Raiders GS was released. I did not even say it was
done. It MAY NOT be released. I do not know. I just know that arrangements
were made with a well known GS software company to make the game...
THAT IS ALL. People are reading WAY WAY WAY WAY too much into what I said.

	Instead of waiting for Rescue Raiders GS which could possibly not
happen (I am not saying it will or won't), go BUY XENOCIDE, RASTAN, ALIEN
MIND, CRYSTAL QUEST, ARKANOID I and II and any other awesome GS games
I've forgotten to mention.. And pay the shareware fees on FTA's demos,
Bouncing Bluster, Brian Greenestone's (author of Xenocide) shareware games,
and any other of these I've forgotten.

	Just please pay for the present games you play and admire (which I
am saving up money to do) instead of waiting for something that may not happen.

	Hell, we all know how much of a piece of crap Gauntlet GS is/was...
Rescue Raiders --could-- turn out to be that bad. I AM NOT SAYING IT WILL
OR IT WON'T.. I AM JUST SAYING TO LIVE IN THE PRESENT ABOUT GS SOFTWARE.
I am waiting for new things to come out too...

	I guess also one of the main things that I'm trying to do is
YELL SO PEOPLE HOPEFULLY PAY MORE ATTENTION TO EXACTLY WHAT I (and others)
say!

--

dfc@sunflare.EBay.Sun.COM (Dan Currie) (10/03/90)

Currie) writes:
|> >So where can I get a copy of this awesome Rescue Raiders game?
|> >I have checked around the SF Bay Area and no stores have heard of it.
|> >I tried mailing some people who supposedly wrote it at an address
|> >in Berkeley and never got a reply. Anyone know of any stores
|> >where I can purchase it?
|>
|> 	YOU MUST NOT HAVE READ MY ORIGINAL ARTICLE COMPLETELY! I did
|> --not-- say that Rescue Raiders GS was released. I did not even say it was
|> done. It MAY NOT be released. People are reading WAY WAY WAY WAY
\> too much into what I said.

|> 	I guess also one of the main things that I'm trying to do is
|> YELL SO PEOPLE HOPEFULLY PAY MORE ATTENTION TO EXACTLY WHAT I (and others)
|> say!

Mr. Unknown User:

This is slightly ironic. I have a //e. This is why I asked where I might
find Rescue Raiders. NOT Rescue Raiders GS. I don't even own a GS. Before
you flame me for not reading your mail, please read my mail thoroughly.
Everyone has been raving about the // version and I was wondering where
I might purchase a copy. I am sorry if I contributed to your growing ulcer,
but if you would have read my mail completely, you would not have blown
your cerebral cortex.

But back to the question at hand:

Does anyone even know who published this game? From what you people have
said about it so far, I get a serious chubby just thinking about playing
it on my old //e.

Thanks for any info,

	Dan