[comp.sys.apple2] Continuing commitment

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/02/90)

In article <181@alchemy.UUCP> bbs@alchemy.UUCP (BBS Administration) writes:
>                                                        The interesting
>thing was; almost nobody used the PCs, while the Mac were cnostantly in
>use, usually with some sort of line waiting to use one of them.
[snip]
>                                             For myself, the Mac suits
>me well and I use it every day. For people to say that because Apple is
>not going to support their machine any longer and that buying a machine from
>that same company is not a possibility is, to me, both shortsighted and
>ignorant.

A *big* problem with Apple's marketing scheme is that they have a strange
notion that the Macintosh is perfect for everybody in all situations.  For
you, the Mac is best.  For others, the Apple II is optimal.  Others need
a NeXT or a Cray...

There is a *big* home market which is just waiting for a low-cost machine
like the //gs.  But Apple's lack of advertising scared people away; go to
an Apple dealer and watch the expression when you tell them that you are
interested in a //gs.  Most sales people can't handle a machine that doesn't
go "boing" when you turn it on.

As far as "shortsighted and ignorant" goes, allow me to quote Mr. Scott:

    "Fool me once, shame on you...  Fool me twice, shame on me."

Apple has, in the minds of many Apple II users, a "hit and run" sales
strategy.  They sold us the machines, and then gave hints to dealers that
they should be selling Macs instead of IIs (whether the hints were real or
perceived, they are universal).  Apple IIs can't even be purchased in several
countries anymore.  The domino affect caused software developers to turn their
backs on the II and shift to the more lucrative PC market.  Now the Mac Plus
is on the way out; all the new systems are rumored to have at least 2MB, so
that we can all run System 7.0 to do word processing.

What comes next?

After four frustrating years, can you blame me if I would prefer to buy
a machine from a company that doesn't string me along for years with empty
promises of great things to come?

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Number 6) (10/03/90)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury):

>Well, it seems to me that the Apple // is now defunct.  Apple isn't going to
>produce any more cpu's with "Apple //xx" on it you can rest assured.  The
>closest you will be able to come is "Mac XXXX".   So, I suggest you all stop
>bitching about it because all the bitching in the world isn't going to change
>matters any.

That last statement is simply not true.  Companies, especially big companies,
listen real hard when users bitch and moan.  They have to.

In this particular case, I heard the same rhetoric several years after the
release of the Apple II+.  The rest, as they say, is history, but the
only fact that changed the history of the Apple II line into the history
that you're all complaining about now is the fact that Apple II users
complained, bitched, moaned, and (most importantly) kept buying.

This is the only language which Apple or any large firm will listen to.

|  Greg Anderson  |   hpcuhd!grega      |      grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM           |
| "It isn't necessary to be rich and famous to be happy.  It's only          |
|  necessary to be rich." -- Alan Alda                                       |